The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei Hy6 available again

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely true. On the other hand, I could say too many photographers are swayed by marketing hype rather than finding out which system works best for themselves!
True, and then some of us maybe had bad samples to demo. My first go with the Hy6 was in a normally lit room, with the 80 mounted, and the camera could not lock focus on anything. If I went outside into bright light, it AF'd fine. Back in the well lit store, AF could not lock, would hunt for a few cycles, then stop with the image totally oof. This was in lighting that an 8 year old Contax 645 or original Mamiya AFD would AF fine in. So that led me to believe either the camera had a huge AF deficiency or my dealer's sample was bad --- either way, it was the second reason I never bought into Rollei...

PeterA

True, and then some of us maybe had bad samples to demo. ...the camera had a huge AF deficiency or my dealer's sample was bad --- either way, it was the second reason I never bought into Rollei...
I think Jack hsa hi the nail on the head regarding the launch of teh Hy6 - it had deficiencies in autofocus that have since been adressed- still not a confidence booster for those who were seriously looking at the camera. Truth be told - the autofocus capability of teh Schneiders themselves hsa to be considered - that being said - it is hardly a camera to be used hand held in low light - given teh large size of its lenses - if you want to ewxercise your wrists put a Zeiss 110/2 on it.:ROTFL:

All that being said - it is a joy to use with its large viewfinder - I wish Mamiya RZ had higher than 400 shutter speed it too has a beautiful viewfinder and very under rated glass - matched to a Phase One back it sings.

Paratom

I think Jack hsa hi the nail on the head regarding the launch of teh Hy6 - it had deficiencies in autofocus that have since been adressed- still not a confidence booster for those who were seriously looking at the camera. Truth be told - the autofocus capability of teh Schneiders themselves hsa to be considered - that being said - it is hardly a camera to be used hand held in low light - given teh large size of its lenses - if you want to ewxercise your wrists put a Zeiss 110/2 on it.:ROTFL:

All that being said - it is a joy to use with its large viewfinder - I wish Mamiya RZ had higher than 400 shutter speed it too has a beautiful viewfinder and very under rated glass - matched to a Phase One back it sings.
My own Hy6-body is at Sinar right now for AF-update and I can tell afterwards how good or bad it works. I dont expect super dooper AF performance but at least some improvement.
With the 75LV (which offers pretty good high ISO performance for MF) and fast lenses including the 110 there is more one can do handhold than some might consider.
Still I guess AF is not the strongest point of the Hy6.

carstenw

My feeling is that one of the strengths of the Hy6 is the rotating adapter. As soon as you have to flip a 645 camera into portrait position, there goes any ergonomic advantage you may have had. I am also very fond of the fact that should anyone ever release a large square sensor, the Hy6 is ready.