The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hong Kong with a Hasselblad

Couple more:
Here is my Blade Runner shot:

From inside the Man Mo Temple at 1/6 sec f/6.8 iso 800. Used a rail to hold steady:

Here is a shot from inside the trolley (one of the best bargains in Hong Kong):

fotografz

Good question lowep. Because of my concern for sharpness I modified my handheld shooting style using the Hassy versus the Nikon D3s. Very often I switched to shutter speed priority and increased iso in order to maximize sharpness. Also, I tended to use rails, poles or anything to steady my shot.

I was in a dark temple and used a rail to shoot 1/6 sec and was amazed at the results. Unfortunately it took awhile to get the hang of this.

Overall I am very pleased and would not hesitate taking the Hassy on a trip in the future.
Very useful information. I'm such a creature of habit that I've never even tried shutter priority on one of these cameras.

Can you take a moment (when you can) to describe how you determined the shutter speed for any given one of your shots? Did you use the mirror delay at all? 1/6th shutter is amazing, and even if you couldn't make a huge print, the native size of the big sensor should "perceptually" allow a reasonable sized print relative to a smaller sensor don't you think? It's probably important to see some of these as prints rather than 100% on a monitor.

-Marc

Marc, I too am a creature of habit. Normally I shoot manual or aperture priority. However, I soon realized in order to maximize sharpness with the Hassy I needed to change my shooting style.

The following only applies for handheld candid and walk around photos.

Based on what I was shooting or about to shoot I would first set my iso. For daylight shots I would use iso 100 or 200. For inside temples or night shooting I set iso to 800 or 1600. Somewhat subjective.

If I was shooting people I used continuous focus. If I was shooting static objects, I switched to true focus to compose my shot.

The shutter speed I chose was very subjective. I would take into account the focal length of the lens, if my subject was moving, if I was moving and whether I could steady the camera on something. For example, with the 80mm if I was on a trolley car, I would use 1/500 sec or faster, if I was hand holding I would use about 1/250. If I used a post to steady the camera, I could use a very slow shutter speed (1/30 sec for example), but for people shots I would try to shoot at 1/100 or faster. As daylight faded I would either increase iso or decrease shutter speed or both. With the 28mm I would shoot at slower shutter speeds.

In general, I tried to be conservative and shoot at a slightly faster shutter speed knowing that it gave me the best chance of sharpness. I was willing to sacrifice a little depth of field in order to increase the odds of my subject being a bit sharper.

Of course, you must realize this explanation is after the fact and because you have asked the question. During my shooting, I was constantly tweaking and adjusting based on what I thought would work. Sometimes it did, sometimes it did not. Hope I have explained this well enough.

Very useful information. I'm such a creature of habit that I've never even tried shutter priority on one of these cameras.

Can you take a moment (when you can) to describe how you determined the shutter speed for any given one of your shots? Did you use the mirror delay at all? 1/6th shutter is amazing, and even if you couldn't make a huge print, the native size of the big sensor should "perceptually" allow a reasonable sized print relative to a smaller sensor don't you think? It's probably important to see some of these as prints rather than 100% on a monitor.

-Marc