The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: the choices, which one and why ?

R

rafaelrojasphoto

Wow Jack, that is one of the best exposure about technical cameras I have read in a long time. Interesting and I could apply almost 99% of everything you said for my future needs...Thanks!

R

rafaelrojasphoto

Finally
- The rosewood grips have improved my self esteem, my car runs better on cheaper fuel because of them and I swear I am luckier whenever I rub them. It must be due to their natural energy.[/QUOTE]

LOL

dick

The camcom prototype is a bellows camera with electrically-adjustable multi-link arms that would ensure rigidity while maintain all the assets of a full-blown bellows camera with tripod head and sliding back

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow Jack, that is one of the best exposure about technical cameras I have read in a long time. Interesting and I could apply almost 99% of everything you said for my future needs...Thanks!
My pleasure -- though it's the whole point of our forum in general, and this thread specifically as it relates to tech!

P. Chong

Very interestimg discussions, and fueling my desires to go the tech camera route.

I do have some questions. Most of my bread and butter work is in high resolution macros (of high end mechanical watches), but my personal work is in landscapes, cityscapes and portraits.

I can see the values and benefits of the Rodie HR lenses for wide...I do like wide...love my HCD4/28 but to justify the expense, will any of the tech cameras be a good solution for 2:1 macro? I currently use a H3d-39 with the HC4/120 macro plus extension tubes.

Lens for macro could be the Caldwell 120 Apo/macro. Or perhaps Rodenstock or Schineider has alternatives. I can start by using my H39 back, and think of upgrades later.

Any opinions?

Btw. Have considered HTS,but wanted to access better optics than Hasselblad lenses...good as they are.

Last edited:
Peter,
The Alpa certainly has extension tubes and a dedicated macro lens, the SK120. Also the tilt/swing adapter allows up to 12' of tilt. The macro lens has an extra long helical so it covers all magnifications across the range of extension tubes.

Something similar to the Linhof Techno is an excellent choice as you don't need anything extra.

-Paul

S

smei_ch

Not to forget that only Alpa has the 120mm mounted in a Linhof focusmount which, thanks to it's 18mm lift, allows much closer focussing even without macro adapters.

Last edited:

vieri

Linhof Techno for me. When I started thinking about a digital tech cam, my needs where:
- ability to use lenses from 23/28 to 210/250 mm;
- at least 20 mm movement on both the horizontal and vertical axis, better if at least 40 on the vertical;
- vertical movements on both front and rear standards;
- at least 5' tilt & swing;
- sliding back adaptor for stitching.

Basically, the Techno is the only camera that does this neatly (without having to get tilt adapter for each lens, without having to get huge contraptions/extensions to use longer lenses, has enough movements in a small & light enough package without having to get a "full fledged studio tech cam", etc.), except of course the Silvestri which I got as a cheaper entry to Tech cameras before getting the Techno. Compared to the former, the Techno is built like a tank, has more precise movements, supports longer lenses, has more movements... so for me is was a no-brainer to upgrade to the Techno after getting used to the Silvestri, which I loved and which gave me a lot of great images and sales: the Techno is just better, and even more of a pleasure to use.

In the end, the Techno is somewhere in between a wide angle camera with limited or no movements and a full fledged studio camera; the package is much lighter and smaller than a studio camera, and not much heavier than a WA camera (though a bit bigger, and especially the L-shaped body can be a PITA to store in a bag - though one finds a way eventually :D) ). Use of the camera is very straightforward as well, if one is used to focus/compose via a ground-glass with magnifier, and the sliding back adaptor is just wonderful to quickly move from composing/focussing to shooting without any dust problem and without any risk of seeing the back falling due to one back removal too many. Plus it offers out-of-the-box panoramic capabilities without having to struggle with nodal points, panoramic contraptions etc.

I use it with a P65+, after deciding NOT to upgrade to an IQ 180 for the moment being; the UI improvements, which I would have loved - no, LOVED to have, weren't enough to justify the (considerable) expense and the added problems that the 80 MP create. To me, 60 MP for the moment is about the sweet spot for a 645 sensor - if only Phase would have made side-grading feasible! :)

In the end, I am very happy with the Techno for what my needing is - however, as we know it is always horses for courses, and much more when it comes to such specialized tools as these.

gazwas

Linhof Techno for me. When I started thinking about a digital tech cam, my needs where:
- ability to use lenses from 23/28 to 210/250 mm;
- at least 20 mm movement on both the horizontal and vertical axis, better if at least 40 on the vertical;
- vertical movements on both front and rear standards;
- at least 5' tilt & swing;
- sliding back adaptor for stitching.

Basically, the Techno is the only camera that does this neatly (without having to get tilt adapter for each lens, without having to get huge contraptions/extensions to use longer lenses, has enough movements in a small & light enough package without having to get a "full fledged studio tech cam"
You are forgetting the Arca Swiss M-Line 2.

Does all the above with the addition of it being a system camera meaning many of the parts from different Arca camera platforms are interchangeable. Very importantly its also exceptionally well made.

vieri

You are forgetting the Arca Swiss M-Line 2.

Does all the above with the addition of it being a system camera meaning many of the parts from different Arca camera platforms are interchangeable. Very importantly its also exceptionally well made.
Hey Gareth, no, I am not forgetting it - while being a great choice, it is a studio camera though, and being much bigger and heavier than the Techno I didn't consider it for my needing and for the category of "between a WA camera and a full fledged studio camera"...

vieri

Are the Techno and M line "tech cameras?"
It would probably depend on which of the thousand hair-splitting definitions and categorizing you chose to adopt. However, a quick search on the net returns:

"What is a technical camera, you ask? Quite simply, they are cameras which provide solutions for technical situations. Some of these cameras offer movements for perspective control, however, they also provide solutions to a wide range of other obstacles and vary considerably in features & abilities." (Bear Images website)
"Linhof Techno compact technical camera introduced - The TECHNO is a compact technical camera offering all practical adjustment facilities for extreme short to longer focal lenses." (Linhof press release)
"Press and technical cameras are true view cameras, as almost all of them have a ground glass integral to the film-holder mechanism that allows critical focus and full use of the sometimes limited movements. " (Wikipedia)
etc etc.

In my view, and to keep definitions simple, we can say that a technical camera is a camera with movements, possibly on both standards - a view camera. Limited versions of technical cameras are the so-called wide-angle cameras (i.e. Cambo DS), the Techno is a more developed version, so is the M-2 as I can see from web info, to end up with the classic studio view cameras (i.e. Linhof 679 and similar).

So yes, the Techno and the M-2 are, for all intent and purposes, technical cameras.

P. Chong

All very interesting. The Alpa STC with extensions and the TS adapter with the SK120 looks very nice and elegant. Um, actually drop dead georgeous. But the support issue is a big question here in Singapore. It is not even possible to demo the Alpa at the AD, which is one of the largest commercial camera/photo supliers in the country.

This makes the Linhof also looks interesting. Shriro carries the brand, but at the present moment no possibility to demo the camera as there is no demo unit. I might try and get a demo session when I am in Munich in Nov. Any recommendations on where to do so?

The Techno also appeals because the lenses are less expensive. Though views about difficulty focussing wides scare me a bit. Anyone tried mounting a helicoid like the Arca's on a Linhof lens board? Any Linhof gotcha's?

Are the Techno's stadards parallelism accurate enough for precise and repeatable movements? Would the M679 be more rigid?

Thierry

Peter,

you should actually contact "David Toh", from Cathay Photo Store Ltd.
They are the Alpa representaties for Singapore and should be able to demo and support you.

Please contact me, should you have any problem.

Best regards
Thierry

All very interesting. The Alpa STC with extensions and the TS adapter with the SK120 looks very nice and elegant. Um, actually drop dead georgeous. But the support issue is a big question here in Singapore. It is not even possible to demo the Alpa at the AD, which is one of the largest commercial camera/photo supliers in the country.

P. Chong

Thanks Thierry. I will try and contact David. I have visited Cathay, they don't have a demo unit at the store.

P.s. I visited Thomas and Ursula Carpaul in Zurich some 10 years ago, and came away quite impressed. I still have an original limited edition Alpa pinhole camera which they gave me as a momento of the visit...takes 120 roll film..:) if I manage to find it in my store, i take a photo just for grins.

Thierry

Peter,

why not taking the opportunity during your planed visit in Europe next November to visit us again?

You seem to know already the kind of welcome one gets in Zürich, when visiting Alpa and meeting with Ursula and Thomas.

You are welcome anytime, but please inform in advance of your visit, should you wish.

Best regards
Thierry

Thanks Thierry. I will try and contact David. I have visited Cathay, they don't have a demo unit at the store.

P.s. I visited Thomas and Ursula Carpaul in Zurich some 10 years ago, and came away quite impressed. I still have an original limited edition Alpa pinhole camera which they gave me as a momento of the visit...takes 120 roll film..:) if I manage to find it in my store, i take a photo just for grins.

yatlee

I second the Linhof Techno. Coming from a 4x5 camera, besides some adjusting to digital workflow, it didn't take me much time to get familiar with the Techno. I love mine and look forward to using live view with it.

P. Chong

Thanks Thierry. I will be in Geneva in Jan. Maybe its good for a visit then. Will let you guys know.

Yatlee, are the beautiful HKG photos in the Linhof catalog yours? How do you like focussing with wide angle lenses on the Techno GG? Have you tried macro with the camera?

Also wondering if Arca's RM2d or rm3 will fit the bill...any views?

Last edited: