The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fotodiox challenges medium format resolution

Stefan Steib

Stefan - this isn't about comparing with a MF set-up.

This is about comparing with using a NEX and simply nodal stitching. Which, for the vast majority of usage cases, I believe would provide better results than using MF glass and shift-stitching.

Regards,

Gerald.
Of course you can do this out of hand Gerald , but I think what you would need definitely for a proper pano stitching is a good pano head (500 € and up ?) or a Gigapan or a Seitz motor (€?).
The Fotodiox will just sit on the head and do it all for you. A Mamiya 645 45N or a 55N will cost 100 € ?
And not to forget : if I only want to do One shot I have a spectacular shift device.

regards
Stefan

yaya

To make this solution count as a real innovation it should employ Sony's swipe-pan technology (or whatever it is called, I think they were the first to have it) so that you can use the device as a jig, drag the camera up/ down/ sideways and let the camera generate a RAW 140MP file...

...But we're not there yet...

Stefan Steib

Maybe in April Yair !
It is rumoured that the new Nex 7 will come out and one feature I´m nearly 100% sure they will do is Wifi.
The Panorama sweep right now has "only" about 54 Mbyte as a finished image in Large res.
But if Autopano Giga supports auto queing from a Hotfolder (?) I don´t see a reason why it should be done in Camera if you can have your MBPro Handy.

Attention: feature request for Capture One version 8 ! :)

Regards
Stefan

rawhead

OK, so my good friend Stefan nailed about every single point I wanted to make in follow-up, so I'll just shut up :LOL:

OK, maybe not.

I find it interesting here and elsewhere that some people really are quick to jump in and declare a product useless. Similar outcries abound with another recent product, the MetaBones SpeedBooster.

This Fotodiox is not "innovative" in that nothing like it has been done before (hmm, I think the same was said about SpeedBooster... de ja vu?), because, as has been pointed out, it has. What's exciting/innovative is that the extremely short flange distance of the NEX system results in a huge flange delta between the lens that is used (e.g., M645's 63mm - 18mm = 45mm) allows for a relatively simple construction contributing to the relatively low price of the product (compare pricing with e.g., Zörk Shift adapter with tripod socket and L-brack, which does something similar with MF lenses and DSLRs: http://www.zoerk.com/Zoerk info/product_guide_current.pdf).

It was also this huge flange delta that also contributed to the "innovation" of the SpeedBooster. So I'd actually argue that the "innovation" lies mostly in the short flange focal distance of the Sony NEX system :D But, besides the point for now.

While Stefan hit most of the points I wanted to make, there's one that he, of all people, forgot, which is the possibility of using MF tilt/shift lenses (Schneider, Hartblei, etc.), specifically with tilt, for example in a desktop product photography.

There is absolutely no way you are going to achieve the same effect of scheimplug with multiple shots around a nodal point and stitching... unless you start doing focus stacking :)

And, finally, of course this product isn't for everybody. It's providing a cheaper (and, admittedly, a more limited) alternative to DMF, which is an extremely niche market. Why would anyone expect it to be? :) 'Nuff said.

Uaiomex

I had Fotodiox's idea long time ago. I'm sure many others had it too. The price point is determinant for the success (I'm almost sure) this device will attain. Being able to see and exactly frame the actual stitched final picture is the whole point. I've done numerous stitches but usually found the result to lack a point of interest or if it has it, chances are its location inside the frame is far from ideal or far from the golden spot. Once I intented to attach an external wider VF to my dslr but couldn't for technical reasons. I've been successful visualizing my final stitched picture visualizing first with a 17mm lens and then using the 24TS for a stitched final picture out of 3 shifted frames. It does works but of course is limited to the circle of the TS.
I can't hardly wait for Fotodiox to come with one for the EOS family of FF dslr's. The price is right.
Eduardo

...And, finally, of course this product isn't for everybody. It's providing a cheaper (and, admittedly, a more limited) alternative to DMF, which is an extremely niche market. Why would anyone expect it to be? :) 'Nuff said.
But that's not how they market it, which is the point I made that they mis-represent the product capabilities. The poor man pays twice.