The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sliding Adapter for Tech Cameras

jvora

Hello :

I unfortunately do not have opportunities to visit centers where I can test-drive Tech Cameras - Thus my question is based on the lack of hands on experience - -

1. How sturdy is the alignment for Sliding Adapters ?
2. Compared to fixed systems such as Alpa, how good is the tolerance ?
3. As I live in a very dusty environment, sealing the DB as much as possible is critical - Thus when the DB is slid away from the picture capturing position, is the ccd exposed in a way that dust can enter/attach itself to the sensor ?

I ask these sets of questions I as prefer accurate compositions and using the external viewfinders does introduce parallax errors, specially when shooting close up.

In addition, unlike DSLR type viewfinders, external viewfinders do not provide a sense of the dof.

Live view would be great, but I believe it generates heat leading to image artifacts/noise and excess power.battery drainage !

Using a Sliding Adapter would mitigate these issues, but may bring on its unique limitations :(

Will value your inputs on how best to address the above, possible options and some of the approaches adopted by the many users.

Thanks,

Jai

jvora

Hello Saty :

Twelve years ago and prior I used to shoot with a view camera and the sense of focusing on a GG was a complete pleasure - The subject/subject matter came alive composing and focusing this way - Wish to find a way to achieve an approach as similar as possible to what I am accustomed to when shooting Architecture, Still Life and Product Photography.

Composing & focusing accurately ( with tilt/shifts/rise ) and gaining a sense of the dof with composing aids ( the optical clip on types ) will not provide the desired approach/feel I am accustomed to and which provides accuracy and depth to the image about to be captured.

It's the feeling and the ability to pretty much "see" the image prior to capture as accurately as possible is what am aiming for - For me, focusing on a GG provided a pretty accurate pre-visualized image before the actual capture - Hope you know what I mean.

Trying to figure out how best to go about solving this aspect while minimizing focusing errors that could be introduced when using sliding adapters - Wish to take full advantage of Tech cameras for their well known precision - I say this taking into account the tolerances of the superb DB and Digital Lenses.

Thanks,

Jai

Shashin

I use the Linhof sliding back for my Linhof camera. The back is accurate in that when I focus with the back, the actual image is in focus--I am using a P25+. I use this in a studio either doing portraits or copy work of small object.

It is not as nice as a 4x5 GG. That is because a 4x5 GG is so much larger. The GG is just as grainy as the 4x5 GG, but you are also now using a smaller image area. So the GG is functional, but not the most pleasurable.

My experience with GG is that is actually is not a great way to preview DoF, especially at small apertures--the image is just too dark. Wide open is OK.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
The only two tech cameras that I am aware of that can utilize a sliding back are the Arca-Swiss R-series and the Sinar Art-tec.

The two sliding back solutions available on for the Arca-Swiss R-Line are by Kapture Group and the Rotaslide by Arca-Swiss.

They both slide over and protect the sensor while the ground glass is in position being used.

The Kapture Group version uses Hasselblad V series viewing accessories over their ground glass.

The Arca-Swiss Rotaslide uses Arca viewing accessories and also has the unique feature to rotate the digital back without removing it from the adapter.

On the Arca-Swiss system you cancalibrate focus by creating a custom offset via their focusing system.

If you would like to see a demo of these systems we have a Remote Demo Center where we provide interactive web based demos and support for people who cannot make it to NY.

Lance

hogweed

The 2 recent Silvestris also have (different) sliding backs. The Flexicam and the Bicam.
Until last year, I used my Bicams with short and long lenses. Especially with longer lenses >72mm and on tripod the sliding back made perfectly sense. It had 3 positions (with stops) that helped when stitching with my 22MP back in studio.¨

Now I use the Bicam as a handheld/travel camera with wide angles most of the time. I nearly never need to stitch, at least not to produce bigger files (than 60MP). The Bicam III added horizontal shift on the back btw. I sold the sliding back a while ago.

Tom

satybhat

Back in the day in India, my uncle had a view camera that we used to use ground glass on (8x10). Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to get my head around MF before making the plunge... (you'll see the various questions posed). I've been touring the city ( melbourne ) trying to get my hands and head around any and all equipment I can find, including second hand. Last week, I have had the pleasure of looking at some GG and loupe combinations on Linhof and Cambo ultima. To give you a simple answer, I found that using a 10x loupe was not much better than guesstimating, a 20x loupe gave a good indication of the sharpness, I found the darkness in the projected image quite prohibitive and taking away all enchantment of the experience.( I come from leica rangefinders so found it even more straining on the eyes). For DOF, I would think a 4x5 or 8x10 would be OK to work with, 645 I wasn't so sure.

I understand that your pursuit is purely haptic in this situation, but it may affect the final image quality in field. Perhaps not for still life and architecture (where the field remains constant and you are in control) but certainly for landscapes where depending on the climate, exact shooting location and time available, it may become cumbersome and more time consuming.

Saty

Shashin

I imagine the Linhof sliding back for the c679 will fit the Linhof Techno, so Arca is not the only tech camera with a sliding back. Not that sliding backs are a new invention. The "precision" for a sliding back comes from the GG plane and the sensor plane, which is also determined by the sliding back.

Udo

There are two different types of sliding backs for Linhof Techno. A longer (older) version and a more compact (newer) back approximately on third shorter.

Geoff

There are two different types of sliding backs for Linhof Techno. A longer (older) version and a more compact (newer) back approximately on third shorter.
Well, these are two from Linhof. There are a couple others - from Kapture Group, with interchangeable camera plates and back plates, and one from Silvestri with interchangeable back plates only.

The Silvestri back has a bit more manufacturing heft behind it, with some interlocks and some refinements. It also sits closer to the Techno so that one can focus the 35XL on it. The Silvestri back has levels on it (good) but they don't agree with either of the levels on the camera or the tripod.

The Kapture Group offers a few versions - I've used theirs with three positions, although they make a "one position" and a much larger multiple position back.

Their three position back has more selectable stitching patterns than the Silvestri, which might or might not be of interest. I rather like it, but its not totally necessary. Their product is a bit more "American", in that its a bit simpler and a bit heftier. The Rodie 32 will focus on it, but not the 35XL. FWIW, Keith with Kapture Group is a real good guy to deal with, and services his backs within 48 hrs.

Steve Hendrix

I imagine the Linhof sliding back for the c679 will fit the Linhof Techno, so Arca is not the only tech camera with a sliding back. Not that sliding backs are a new invention. The "precision" for a sliding back comes from the GG plane and the sensor plane, which is also determined by the sliding back.

Yes, but I don't consider the Techno a "Tech Camera". I consider the Techno a very precise digital field camera. To me, "Technical Cameras' all incorporate a helical focusing ring. Just my take on it.

Actually, you'd have to add Sinar to the list, because of the Artec.

Another important factor for sliding back precision are the rails that facilitate the sliding movement, their rigidity, tolerance, position, etc. There can be differences we've seen in the various sliding back models with respect to this.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Shashin

Steve, technical cameras have been around a lot longer than the Alpa/Arca Swiss/Silvestri variety. Technical cameras started as metal flat-bed view cameras, which have their beginnings with Linhof. My Wista VX was a technical camera. I am sure you would not consider a Horseman monorail view camera nor my Pentax 645D a technical camera just because both can have a helicoid focuser.

As far as precision of the sliding mechanism, it is hardly rocket science. No more than any interchangeable component or moving part on a camera.

weinlamm

The only two tech cameras that I am aware of that can utilize a sliding back are the Arca-Swiss R-series and the Sinar Art-tec.
Very interesting theme.

I own a Cambo actually and had seen that there is a ground-glas existing for Cambo: the WDS-619.

The last days while I was shooting outside some different thing I had thought about to buy this and perhaps a sliding-adaptor. But now I had to recognize that there is no one for the WRS/WDS. :confused:

Does anybody know, if there will come one the next "days" or isn't that a thing, which is not possible for the WRS/WDS?

I had found this video from Don - but I'm not sure, if I wanted to change ground-glas and back in this kind outside. :shocked: Too much dust-risk.

I added a fresnel lens to the GG of my sliding back. And while it will never be the equivalent of looking at a 4X5 or 8X10 ground glass, it does help.

f8orbust

Interesting thread ... the term 'technical camera' was originally coined to differentiate cameras with a range of movements from their rather limited press camera bretheren … so, it's kinda ironic that nowadays the name has been turned on its head to describe cameras with a fairly limited set of movements (or none at all).

Why so? Marketing I would say - 'technical camera' is such a funky sounding term - especially when abbreviated to 'tech camera' or even 'tech cam' - n'est-ce pas?

Couple of other points - is the Techno a 'technical camera' - I'd say yes, because it - and cameras like it (e.g. A/S ML2) get closer to both the old and new meanings of the 'term' than pretty much anything else. That said, I like Steve's description of 'precision digital field camera'. Very apt.

The Linhof sliding backs can focus everything everything from the R/S 23mm and S/K 24mm on up (recessed board required for the 24mm).

I once spoke to the guy at KG (Keith?) - he didn't think a sliding back for the WRS etc. would be possible because it would cover the shift/rise controls, the weight of the back on the shift/rise mechanism would be an issue, and the flange focal length would be difficult to maintain - so, I wouldn't hold your breath. Which is a shame, because I like sliding backs - if you're gonna spend $30k on a digital back, and $20k on a 'tech camera' system, seems a bit daft to compose everything 'approximately' through a $1k viewfinder.

Jim