The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus lens recomendations

tylergreenphoto

My first post! Wasn't sure if this belongs in lenses or here.

I'm a happy owner of the a7r (Canon convert). Ever since the Cambo Actus was announced, I've been drooling over it. I think I'm finally at a point where I can seriously consider it. I've researched lenses as much as I can but I still have lots of questions (mostly due to budget constraints).

I mostly want the camera to be able to stitch as well as move the plane of focus. I also need lenses that will work well with IR light. I don't need super-wide, my style tends to lean toward longer lenses. Currently I have a 35 and 55 for the 35mm format. 35 is about as wide as I typically go and 55 sometimes feels a little short. Ideally I would like to have around 30, 60, 90mm lenses in the 35mm format.

From what I understand, I have two choices: 645 or MF lenses with copal #0 shutter. From my research, most 645 lenses create an image circle of usable sharpness that is at least 73mm. This should be plenty large enough for my needs. 645 lenses also appear to have a much longer flange to focal length which would mean I only need the standard bellows.

It is my understanding though that MF lenses are higher quality. I strive to reduce chromatic aberration as much as possible. I've looked at the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses but have had a difficult time researching the Cambo lenses.

Of course all lenses needs to have manual aperture control and sharpness is a must!

I understand with the actus and the a7r there might be some cross talk with movements and I will just have to play with it to see what is acceptable. I primarily shoot/print bw so color accuracy is not that important.

Finally, my budget for the whole rig is around $4,500 with nearly $2,500 going into the Actus this does not leave a lot for glass which could ultimately shut me down.

Thanks for the help! I've been reading this forum for a while, finally digging in :eek:

MrSmith

i started a similar thread a few weeks ago, you may find some info there.
if you shop around there are schneider digitars available for not a lot of money in the 60-135 range (wides are obviously a bit more). i have the 80 and 120 which are sharper and less C/A than any 35mm primes i have used. i did consider a few mamiya lenses but as the cambo lens mount is more money so i have decide to stick with panel lenses. i have a 60mm rodagon enlarging lens that was very cheap but while sharp it’s image circle/amount of shift is not as great as the schneiders.

Yeah, I thought manual medium format SLR lenses would have large enough IC's when I started with the Actus as well. My advice would be to stick with the 6x6 and 6x7 lenses if you go that route and, given your focal length equivalent desires, you're at least going to have to do that for the long end. What you're looking for roughly, in 6x6-to-35mm equivalency are a 55, 110, and 160. The standard bellows will allow for view camera lenses between 50 and 135 (and still allow extension to get a decent amount of closer-focus on the long end).

On your wide, at least, I would go with a VC lens. One with a nice big IC like the APO-Grandagon 55 (my fav) or the Schneider SA 58XL. The wide should be your big spend out of your $2k budget, and one of these lenses will eat up close to half. A hood (like the Lee filter system WA hood) will be your best friend with either of those lenses, so factor that into your budget.

For your normal, the Pentax 67 105/2.4 is a long-time internet forum favorite. Personally, I love the the Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 105/4 enlarging lens. Huge IC. Very well corrected even wide open. You have to stop it down to f/11 to get the best out of it at landscape distances, but, otherwise, it's fairly brilliant at any aperture. The fact that the lens is very small is a bonus. I strongly recommend using it with a good UV filter and a hood.

For the short tele... the only two medium format lenses I've use near 160 are the Mamyia A 150/2.8 and the Hassy F 150/2.8. Neither are small lenses, but neither has a leaf shutter, so that helps keep the weight and bulk down. I prefer (and kept) the Hassy for its very-Sonnar bokeh and gentler focus transitions.

Just my two-cents. Hope it helps.

Brad