Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    i can’t be the only person who is using an A7r and forthcoming mk II with digital panel lenses and a cambo actus or similar.
    however lens choice seems to be a bit of a minefield especially if buying secondhand and information on digitars, digarons, app-rodagons, sinarons etc does not seem to be comprehensive and not helped by changes to names and pink bands, green bands etc etc.

    so far i have purchased a schenider 80mm apo-digitar f4 that supposedly doesn't have the resolving power for a 5micron pixel pitch but the results are very impressive even with big shifts and it’s an excellent lens, better than any other 35mm prime i have tried on the a7r, i’m not seeing any colour degradation or the need for an LCC on shifting.

    i also have a rodagon 60mm enlarging lens (non-apo) that while not in the same class is still as good as a canon prime and will do small shifts with little loss of quality.

    i’m looking for a 35-50mm lens and after a bit of research have discounted the schneider 47mm xl as i believe it’s not quite up to the rodenstocks or the other focal lengths either side.

    does anyone have any experience with or know the differences between a 35mm Apo sironar digital f4.5 (pink band) and a sinaron digital 35mm f5.6 apo (green band)?
    I believe 35mm will not focus at infinity on the actus but my work is tabletop still life so shouldn’t be an issue. i have the canon 24TSE if i need to go wider.

    any anecdotal info on what lenses work well or are not up to scratch appreciated.

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i canít be the only person who is using an A7r and forthcoming mk II with digital panel lenses and a cambo actus or similar.
    however lens choice seems to be a bit of a minefield especially if buying secondhand and information on digitars, digarons, app-rodagons, sinarons etc does not seem to be comprehensive and not helped by changes to names and pink bands, green bands etc etc.

    so far i have purchased a schenider 80mm apo-digitar f4 that supposedly doesn't have the resolving power for a 5micron pixel pitch but the results are very impressive even with big shifts and itís an excellent lens, better than any other 35mm prime i have tried on the a7r, iím not seeing any colour degradation or the need for an LCC on shifting.

    i also have a rodagon 60mm enlarging lens (non-apo) that while not in the same class is still as good as a canon prime and will do small shifts with little loss of quality.

    iím looking for a 35-50mm lens and after a bit of research have discounted the schneider 47mm xl as i believe itís not quite up to the rodenstocks or the other focal lengths either side.

    does anyone have any experience with or know the differences between a 35mm Apo sironar digital f4.5 (pink band) and a sinaron digital 35mm f5.6 apo (green band)?
    I believe 35mm will not focus at infinity on the actus but my work is tabletop still life so shouldnít be an issue. i have the canon 24TSE if i need to go wider.

    any anecdotal info on what lenses work well or are not up to scratch appreciated.
    I use a Rodenstock 55mm APO-Grandagon on the Actus with A7R. Excellent performance, sharp across frame, no distortion or CA. I use it primarily for landscape work. Sample below is two shot stitch with this lens.

    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    is it pin sharp at 100%? i wonder if that is a lens that was good enough to have ‘digital’ stuck on it with the optics unchanged?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    This is a great threat as I'm going to join the Actus club once the A7RII starts shipping!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    I'd love to know how the newer Schneider APO-DIGITAR 5.6/120mm Aspheric performs on the A7/Actus.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    is it pin sharp at 100%? i wonder if that is a lens that was good enough to have Ďdigitalí stuck on it with the optics unchanged?
    Hard to say from this shot which was at f/13 and some diffraction, but still quite good. Lens is supposed to be optimal at f/8-f/11 (for film).

    Here is a 100% screen grab from the image posted above.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    that crop at 100% looks good to me.
    the 120 aspheric is a possible purchase that would mean not having to buy a dedicated macro lens, it’s not that expensive either compared to some of the wide angles.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    I'm planning on using my Canon 17, 24 and 90 TS-E when I get an Actus but wanted a 50 and 120 (Macro) lens also. No idea on the 50 ish lens (Hasselblad?) but really fancied a look at either the SK 120 Aspheric or possibly one of the Mamiya 120 Macro's as they are cheap but the same optical formula as the latest Phase AF Macro. I had the Phase manual focus 120 Macro (without aperture ring) when I shot MFD and it was a nice sharp piece of glass.

  9. #9
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    bear in mind the shutters in the hasselblad V lenses require an adapter that can cock them

  10. #10
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    bear in mind the shutters in the hasselblad V lenses require an adapter that can cock them
    I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

    Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

    If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

    CB

    the glass kit for the Sony...

    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    thanks for the clarification; you just need to keep the lens shutter open then?

  12. #12
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    thanks for the clarification; you just need to keep the lens shutter open then?
    The lens shutter is always open until actuated by the camera body. The only thing you have to touch is the aperture. Set it at your desired f/stop, press the depth of field preview button to engage the iris and you're ready to shoot. You could also just leave the depth of field preview engaged all the time and then you only ever adjust your aperture... identical to working with any manual slr lens.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

    Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

    If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

    CB

    the glass kit for the Sony...
    Agree that the Rodenstock 55 is an excellent performer with the A7r. I also use the Blad 40, 80 and 120 on the Actus with the A7r, but if I'm out in the field then I prefer the lighter weight of the view camera glass.
    Carl
    Gallery

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    The non APO Grandagon-N lenses can also be quite good, particularly the 75 and 90. Here are a couple of shots taken with the 90mm Grandagon-N on the Actus with A7r.

    Name:  19154874386_e0aa0d67a9_b.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  458.5 KB
    FULL SIZE IMAGE

    Name:  19179303946_3154feec75_b.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  139.1 KB
    FULL SIZE IMAGE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32į 31' 37.06" N, 111į 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    What would help me is to see photos of the actual setup.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Gents, how do the likes of the Actus and Universlis deal with the weight of some of these lenses? Still rock solid with a 70-200 or a big hasselblad lens on the front?

    Mat

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    What would help me is to see photos of the actual setup.
    Don,

    This is my rig with the Actus, using both Blad and LF lenses (I also use Leica R glass occasionally, but lens circle limits shift range). Quick and easy setup with any lens type.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Gents, how do the likes of the Actus and Universlis deal with the weight of some of these lenses? Still rock solid with a 70-200 or a big hasselblad lens on the front?

    Mat
    The only problem I have with lens weight is the pain in my arthritic neck and back when carrying this gear around. Otherwise quite stable on the Actus using a solid tripod mount.
    Carl
    Gallery

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    I would like to know which is the widest tech cam lens that can be used with the A7R on an Actus or Universalis ?
    I suppose that Leica R / Hasselblad wide angle lenses can be used but what about Schneider / Rodie wide angle lenses ?
    Thanks
    ___________________________________
    http://www.vincent-angillis.be

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    On the Universalis, the widest tech lens would be the 32mm Rodenstock. You can reach infinity with the 23 or 28mm Rodenstock.

    You can read a bit more on the use of the Schneiders and the Rrodenstocks on the older DSLR2 Arca, in this article. The Universalis is lighter and has a few different features, but the lens results should be the same.

    404 Not Found

    Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    On the Universalis, the widest tech lens would be the 32mm Rodenstock. You can reach infinity with the 23 or 28mm Rodenstock.

    You can read a bit more on the use of the Schneiders and the Rrodenstocks on the older DSLR2 Arca, in this article. The Universalis is lighter and has a few different features, but the lens results should be the same.

    404 Not Found

    Paul
    Same with the Actus, but you also need to use a special rear standard with fixed wide angle bellows.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Shepherdstown, WV USA
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Is this creek tributary to the upper Delaware on the PA side? I forget the name of the falls, but this looks soooo familiar. My photograph of it, not a nice as this one, appears in the Park Sevice brochure.

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muse View Post
    Is this creek tributary to the upper Delaware on the PA side? I forget the name of the falls, but this looks soooo familiar. My photograph of it, not a nice as this one, appears in the Park Sevice brochure.
    No, this small stream is a tributary to Enfield Creek located in Upper Treman Park near Ithaca, NY.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    interesting to see the apo grandagon 70 and 90 perform well, I have 60 and 80 lenses so far so they don't really fit in at the moment as I have other focal lengths to buy first.
    I think I'm going to look out for a 45mm sironar digital 4.5 secondhand as in the studio I'll probably use that more than a 35 plus there's the issue of infinity focus issue with 35 and below (possibly not an issue for tabletop)
    I was looking at the mamiya 120 macro too but have to factor in the higher cost of the mamiya lens plate which puts me some way towards a 120 aspheric so not decided on that length yet.

  25. #25
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    The 35's and even the Rodie 32 will focus fine with the Sony on an Actus, Universalis or M2. I had the 45mm Sironar Digital and found it subpar. I eventually swapped it out with the newer SK 43mm Digitar XL which was great (on an IQ260).

    CB

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Sub-par in what way? Resolving power or shift performance on MFD? I'll be wanting to use it on an A7r and i guess a MkII. I'm not looking for huge shifts I just want it to be sharp at f8 and not loads of chromatic abhorration. I see my copy of the 90mm T-SE as the benchmark, it's better than any other canon lens I own including the 24 T-SE II. The Schneider 80mm digitar is better still. I'm not about to spend big money on a 40-45 though as the still-life jobs I shoot are usually in the 60-120mm range. Maybe a mamiya lens would be a better option? The Hassleblad 40mm (most recent version) is quite pricy and heavy if I want to do any landscapes.

  27. #27
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Resolving power and image circle. Mind you I was shooting on an IQ260 (well, P65+ at the time). I thought the lens was ok on a P45+ so maybe it'll be fine on the A7rII. If you can, I'd go for the SK43. I've moved to 'Blad glass and really like the 40 CFe a lot, but yes as pricey used as the others new. One thing I really prefer about is that it doesn't require a Lens Cast Correction, which the view camera lenses totally do on my A7r.

    CB

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

    Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

    If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

    CB

    the glass kit for the Sony...

    Hi Chris
    Interesting move on your part coming from a a bloke who has invested a lot in his architecture shooting set ups ...

    - how do you find your system manages the weight of the MF glass?
    I am just about to pull the trigger on the Cambo version ( since Arca is unobtainium here in Australia) and would love to be able to use all my Schneiders/Rodenstock glass along with MamiyaRZ/HasselbladV and Leica lenses...I would love to see if Cambo ever bring out a Rollie lens board- since I have a ton of that stuff as well ..



    I am hoping that there was a reason why I kept all this stuff I haven't used for years...
    Thanks
    Pete

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    so far i have purchased a schenider 80mm apo-digitar f4 that supposedly doesn't have the resolving power for a 5micron pixel pitch but the results are very impressive even with big shifts and itís an excellent lens...
    A 5 micron pixel pitch is 100 line pairs/mm in real photographic terms.

    Any top-of-the-line Schneider or Rodenstock lens will handle that.

    I shoot almost exclusively Rodenstock on the 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, and have no problem resolving detail at that level.

    Sinaron lenses are Rodenstocks.

    - Leigh

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

    Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

    If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

    CB
    I am amazed at your results as mine are extremely different. Although not an A7r I do have an 800e which is basically the same sensor and my results with Blad lenses has been a big disappointment. My 60mm is unusable. The 80mm is just barely passable. My 120mm is unusable. My 180mm is the best of the bunch but still not up to par with any Digitar that I own. The basic issues are smearing - sometimes very radical - on edges...... sometimes coming way into the image. There must be some radical differences in the sensor glass cover between the two sensors to account for my results being so different from yours. I had these same issues when using Leica M wides on my now sold a7r. Anything I had under 50mm was totally unusable. I am, though, very encouraged with your results and will test the new Sony with my Blad lenses once the camera body is available. Still, though, am completely shocked at our opposite results.......

    Victor

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    So today I shot with a new (to me) lens that I purchased from eBay last week. A Schneider 120 apo digitar N. Was looking for a macro but this lens was not expensive so decided to purchase and give it a whirl.
    Shoot was of watch movements but not true 1:1 macro so was expecting the lens to work fine with the whole watch including half the strap in frame, needed the longer rail and bellows to focus, in short the lens is fantastic with zero chromatic abhorations, it's a step above the 80mm I have.
    I used tilt and then focus stacked but also did a shot with shift L/R stitch at higher magnification getting close to true 1:1 macro, this just at f11 in one shot.
    just a test for the client who wants to do a large print for an exhibition, quality seemed good but if I was doing a lot of work this close up I would buy/rent a macro version.
    I still haven't bought a 40mm though

    Really pleased with Actus/Schneider/A7r combo, the results are better than any 'normal' 35mm setup due to the tilt/swing and parallax free L/R shift on the rear standard.

  32. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Shepherdstown, WV USA
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I am amazed at your results as mine are extremely different. Although not an A7r I do have an 800e which is basically the same sensor and my results with Blad lenses has been a big disappointment. My 60mm is unusable. The 80mm is just barely passable. My 120mm is unusable. My 180mm is the best of the bunch but still not up to par with any Digitar that I own. The basic issues are smearing - sometimes very radical - on edges...... sometimes coming way into the image. There must be some radical differences in the sensor glass cover between the two sensors to account for my results being so different from yours. I had these same issues when using Leica M wides on my now sold a7r. Anything I had under 50mm was totally unusable. I am, though, very encouraged with your results and will test the new Sony with my Blad lenses once the camera body is available. Still, though, am completely shocked at our opposite results.......

    Victor
    I think the antialias undo scheme in the 800e really messes with imaging in some circumstances, particularly oblique ray angles. I had a hell of a time with what I thought was field curvature with a Zeiss 21 ZF.2 on the 800e. But on the A7r and A7II the problem evaporated.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    So today I shot with a new (to me) lens that I purchased from eBay last week. A Schneider 120 apo digitar N. Was looking for a macro but this lens was not expensive so decided to purchase and give it a whirl.
    I just knew you'd be the one who won that lens - I very nearly bid as it looked in great shape and at a great price but resisted as I don't have a camera to use it with yet.

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Does anyone have a schneider 35mm apo digitar and use it with the normal not wide angle rear standard on the actus? iím considering this lens for studio based tabletop shooting and was wondering if it will focus from 2-6ft camera-object distance? i think its not able to do infinity focus but would like to know where it will start to be usable?

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Does anyone have a schneider 35mm apo digitar and use it with the normal not wide angle rear standard on the actus? iím considering this lens for studio based tabletop shooting and was wondering if it will focus from 2-6ft camera-object distance? i think its not able to do infinity focus but would like to know where it will start to be usable?
    It'll focus (because the rear element is small enough to fit inside the rear standard's hole) but it won't allow for much movement. Which, for your a7r, is probably best, because moving much outside the center is going to cause a great deal of detail smearing. The APO-Digitar 47XL appears to be a bit better about this so, while longer, it gives more usable IC to Sony-shooters. The Grandagon 35 was a little bit better than both the Schneiders in those regards, but you don't get 2-6 feet out of that lens even with the ACB-310. 2-6 inches (from the front of the lens) is closer to the truth.

    If it has to be 35, then my recommendation would be to look at a Pentax or Mamiya 645 lens, though you'd be better off with a Hasselblad CF/CFi 40, which is excellent but not well corrected for color aberrations. Personally, if I need to maximize the IC for close-focusing, I go my APO-Sironar-Digital 55 (used to be the Grandagon before it got stepped on by a moose). It's excellent across the board close up. If I can live with a smaller IC (60mm usable), I will turn to my relatively new-to-me APO-Rodagon-N 50, which is a tiny little powerhouse.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Hi Chris
    Interesting move on your part coming from a a bloke who has invested a lot in his architecture shooting set ups ...

    - how do you find your system manages the weight of the MF glass?
    I am just about to pull the trigger on the Cambo version ( since Arca is unobtainium here in Australia) and would love to be able to use all my Schneiders/Rodenstock glass along with MamiyaRZ/HasselbladV and Leica lenses...I would love to see if Cambo ever bring out a Rollie lens board- since I have a ton of that stuff as well ..



    I am hoping that there was a reason why I kept all this stuff I haven't used for years...
    Thanks
    Pete
    I'm not Chris, but I've used the CF 40 FLE, F 50/2.8, CF 100, S-Planar 135, and F 150/2.8 as well as a couple of much smaller and lighter 645 lenses, and the system handled them all very well. The lens plates are solid and very well designed, the locking mount for the plate is secure, and not even the F 50 (which is a beast) could move the front gears out of my chosen alignment. The 40's a bit fussy with its FLE. To get the best out of it, you need to manage its flange to a T, but I think the results are worth it.

    These are both six-shot panos.

    a7_Actus_CF40FLE_test by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr



    a7_Actus_CF40FLE_BoulderCanyon by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    A 5 micron pixel pitch is 100 line pairs/mm in real photographic terms.

    Any top-of-the-line Schneider or Rodenstock lens will handle that.

    I shoot almost exclusively Rodenstock on the 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, and have no problem resolving detail at that level.

    Sinaron lenses are Rodenstocks.

    - Leigh
    I've been very happy with the resolution of my film-era Rodenstocks (less so with the Schneiders) but the one thing I've noticed in switching from a Grandagon 55 to an APO-Sironar-Digital 55 is the way in which the lens flares. With the Grandagon and the a7, flare turned into big blobs of veiling flare. With the Digital, it's maybe a tad less prone to flare, and it's obviously lens flare, not some strangely colored fog.

    Some Caltars are also Rodenstock.

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    hi, it is indeed very difficult do decide what lenses to get for a a7r/actus combination. even a lens specials at schneider-kreuznach was not able to really answer my questions but instead advised me to call the actus product manger in the netherlands when i needed to buy a 80/90mm lens. . he was very helpful and i got the answer i was looking for. now i need to decide if i should go for a hasselblad / mamiya RZ 50mm or the digitar 47mm for my product photography work. does anybody here have experience with this lenses ?


    christian

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    24

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Hi-

    The 47mm Digitar is a great lens but somewhat susceptible to flare. It will allow the full movements possible with the actus.

    Here's my compact field kit including:

    28mm Digitar WA in copal 0 shutter
    40mm Componon HM 39mm Leica Iris mount
    47mm, 60mm, 90mm Digitars in copal 0 shutters
    80mm Sinaron 39mm Leica Iris mount
    100mm Componon-S 39mm Leica Iris mount
    120mm Macro Symmar HM w copal 0 to 39mm Leica Iris mount adapter

    The whole kit including the bag, 8 lenses, A7rII, Actus and extra batteries is 11 lbs.




    jim
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by freaklikeme View Post
    It'll focus (because the rear element is small enough to fit inside the rear standard's hole) but it won't allow for much movement. Which, for your a7r, is probably best, because moving much outside the center is going to cause a great deal of detail smearing. The APO-Digitar 47XL appears to be a bit better about this so, while longer, it gives more usable IC to Sony-shooters. The Grandagon 35 was a little bit better than both the Schneiders in those regards, but you don't get 2-6 feet out of that lens even with the ACB-310. 2-6 inches (from the front of the lens) is closer to the truth.

    If it has to be 35, then my recommendation would be to look at a Pentax or Mamiya 645 lens, though you'd be better off with a Hasselblad CF/CFi 40, which is excellent but not well corrected for color aberrations. Personally, if I need to maximize the IC for close-focusing, I go my APO-Sironar-Digital 55 (used to be the Grandagon before it got stepped on by a moose). It's excellent across the board close up. If I can live with a smaller IC (60mm usable), I will turn to my relatively new-to-me APO-Rodagon-N 50, which is a tiny little powerhouse.
    i have resisted the mamiya route as the lens panel is more expensive (though lenses cheaper) and the HB 40 fle is expensive. (i actually sold the older floating element version to buy the actus) i guess i will wait and see what turns up on ebay in the 40-50 range. i have a 60mm rodagon enlarging lens that was peanuts as my shortest lens but iím interested in your Apo rodagon 50. any chance of a raw file? i presumed the IC was going to be too small as its for 35mm neg as opposed to the 60 which is for 645.

    also Jimbans 40mm componon HM, how does that compare to the digitars?

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by freaklikeme View Post
    I'm not Chris, but I've used the CF 40 FLE, F 50/2.8, CF 100, S-Planar 135, and F 150/2.8 as well as a couple of much smaller and lighter 645 lenses, and the system handled them all very well. The lens plates are solid and very well designed, the locking mount for the plate is secure, and not even the F 50 (which is a beast) could move the front gears out of my chosen alignment. The 40's a bit fussy with its FLE. To get the best out of it, you need to manage its flange to a T, but I think the results are worth it.
    Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

    -Pete

  42. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by jimban View Post
    Hi-

    The 47mm Digitar is a great lens but somewhat susceptible to flare. It will allow the full movements possible with the actus.

    Here's my compact field kit including:

    28mm Digitar WA in copal 0 shutter
    40mm Componon HM 39mm Leica Iris mount
    47mm, 60mm, 90mm Digitars in copal 0 shutters
    80mm Sinaron 39mm Leica Iris mount
    100mm Componon-S 39mm Leica Iris mount
    120mm Macro Symmar HM w copal 0 to 39mm Leica Iris mount adapter

    The whole kit including the bag, 8 lenses, A7rII, Actus and extra batteries is 11 lbs.




    jim
    Hi Jimban,
    I'm about to pull the trigger on the actus, mainly to go back to digitar(componon apo hm).

    Is There any room for shift with the componon 40?
    You could also try the 40mm canon which cover 40x56...with good corner up to 36x48...but stil, I'm interested by your comment on the componon 40hm

    I heard very bad things on the digitar 2,8/28, what do you think of this lens? Distoraion corner sharpness...

    Any chance you tryed the actar 24mm?

    David

  43. #43
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Hi Jim !!
    First... english itīs not my natural language, so excuse me for any writing mistakes.

    Iīm new in the forum; hi to everybody.

    I just saw the pics of your gear, it is very impresive all the options you are trying with the Actus.
    Iīm considering the same set up (Sony and Actus) for architecture work, but I would like to ask you, if you dont mind, for some real user information (not sales representative) about the capabilities of the Actus.
    My main question is; How wide can you go with the Actus and Sony A7 in terms of 35mm scale ?? The people of Capture Integration said that I can not go wider than 50mm on the view camera lenses without having limitations. But, how wide is 50mm in view camera lenses compare to 35mm system ??
    I see a 28mm digitar lens in your arsenal. Is it possible to use that lens with the regular Actus below??

    Best regards

    Alex

    Quote Originally Posted by jimban View Post
    Hi-

    The 47mm Digitar is a great lens but somewhat susceptible to flare. It will allow the full movements possible with the actus.

    Here's my compact field kit including:

    28mm Digitar WA in copal 0 shutter
    40mm Componon HM 39mm Leica Iris mount
    47mm, 60mm, 90mm Digitars in copal 0 shutters
    80mm Sinaron 39mm Leica Iris mount
    100mm Componon-S 39mm Leica Iris mount
    120mm Macro Symmar HM w copal 0 to 39mm Leica Iris mount adapter

    The whole kit including the bag, 8 lenses, A7rII, Actus and extra batteries is 11 lbs.




    jim

  44. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Just bumping this thread with a bit more Sony/cambo/lens info.
    A Colleuge found a couple of enlarger lenses at the back of a cupboard while having a clear-out, a Nikkor 50mm and 75mm. Had no idea where they came from but guessing from his college days over 20 years ago.
    So having a lens panel I decided to try them on the A7r/Actus but didn't expect them to be much good.
    I was wrong! The 75mm is indistinguishable from my 80mm digitar and seems to perform well even stopped down to 11-1/2, image circle is quite big too, the 50mm has a lot smaller image circle and probably only shifts 5-7mm before vignetting. Both are very usable and I shot a job using both lenses the next day.
    I didn't see any C/A apart from very feint traces probaly only a pixels width at the extremities and did not see the need for any extra sharpening compared to the digitars. Also the 75 is not a 1:1 duplicating lens like the rodenstocks so suited to non-macro work. I would imagine these lenses are available for peanuts secondhand.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

  45. #45
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgšu
    Posts
    1,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Just bumping this thread with a bit more Sony/cambo/lens info.
    A Colleuge found a couple of enlarger lenses at the back of a cupboard while having a clear-out, a Nikkor 50mm and 75mm. Had no idea where they came from but guessing from his college days over 20 years ago.
    So having a lens panel I decided to try them on the A7r/Actus but didn't expect them to be much good.
    I was wrong! The 75mm is indistinguishable from my 80mm digitar and seems to perform well even stopped down to 11-1/2, image circle is quite big too, the 50mm has a lot smaller image circle and probably only shifts 5-7mm before vignetting. Both are very usable and I shot a job using both lenses the next day.
    I didn't see any C/A apart from very feint traces probaly only a pixels width at the extremities and did not see the need for any extra sharpening compared to the digitars. Also the 75 is not a 1:1 duplicating lens like the rodenstocks so suited to non-macro work. I would imagine these lenses are available for peanuts secondhand.
    Even the "normal" EL Nikkors are virtually on par with the Apo Componons or Apo Rodagons. And up to 135mm you get them darn cheap, if itīs not for the much searched old 3,5/63mm which has a reputation for UV photography (much overstated it seems). The longer ones like the 150 or 180,210mm are superb for large format photography also and were used by many people on Sinars or other large format cameras. I used them for many years for extreme closeups and macro as well as for product photography and reproductions.

    among them the APOīs, many people call them some of the best lenses ever made. But be prepared : these are expensive !

    http://www.savazzi.net/download/manu...g_lenses_2.pdf
    http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/apo..._photocopy.pdf

    Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •