Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

Anyone else have the same thoughts ?
    I guess I'm having problems wondering what this would deliver over a a7rII with great glass on it? Even lighter, tons of lens choices some of them incredibly, comparable resolution, even better ISO performance, BSI sensor, IBIS stabilization. Yeah, maybe some incremental quality with larger sensels and a little more resolution, but the sony system packs some real quality vs the weight.

I think it's a sweet looking camera, and in a few years if they get some great glass and get a 70-80mp sensor in it, then it would be pretty tempting.
    wayne
    My image gallery
    My blog - cwaynefox.com
    my store - Pixels Foto & Frame
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    I just attended Hasselblad X1D launch in NYC,
    and got to handle the camera and ask questions.

I'd say Hasselblad got it right. Congrats to their team.

A couple tidbits:
    • camera shoots at 1.7 to 2.3 fps depending on ISO
    • battery is 3200 mAh (looks/functions similar to Leica S battery)
    How felt the EVF (resolution, lags)?

Post Thanks / Like

The Mamiya 7/II was for many the landscape photographer’s camera bar none. It was compact, not too heavy, had phenomenal glass and the 6x7cm transparencies it produced (when in the right hands) were gorgeous. It didn't have tilt/shift, but quite simply that didn't matter.

From what I’ve read so far, the X1D looks to be as close to a digital successor to the Mamiya as we’ve yet to see.

With the 43, 65 and 80 the Mamiya came in at ~2kg (plus film of course!) With the 30, 45 and 90, the total weight of the X1D is gonna be ~3kg. Compare that to the lightest current 3 lens MF alternative - an Alpa TC + DB + (23, 35 and 70) + viewfinder (or iPhone holder); that all comes in at ~4.5kg.

If I was a landscape shooter wanting to shoot MF without schlepping around a ton of gear, this would be right up there on my wish list.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    I guess I'm having problems wondering what this would deliver over a a7rII with great glass on it? Even lighter, tons of lens choices some of them incredibly, comparable resolution, even better ISO performance, BSI sensor, IBIS stabilization. Yeah, maybe some incremental quality with larger sensels and a little more resolution, but the sony system packs some real quality vs the weight.

I think it's a sweet looking camera, and in a few years if they get some great glass and get a 70-80mp sensor in it, then it would be pretty tempting.
    My thoughts exactly. If I did not have the Sony A7rII and a lot of Canon glass (some really terrific), I would find the X1D very attractive. I do believe the X1D is a game changer for MF, but not for me at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

As a wedding and portrait photographer I find the X1D to be very interesting and tempting. The Nikon TTL compatible flash system is a biggie (for me), as are the dual card slots and the leaf shutter lenses. I tend not to "spray and pray" so 2 fps seems okay to me. The 45mm lens, a 30mm lens, a 120mm macro, and maybe something longer would be perfect.

Any other wedding photographers out there? Your honest opinion is always appreciated. :-)

Rick
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickgrainger View Post
    As a wedding and portrait photographer I find the X1D to be very interesting and tempting. The Nikon TTL compatible flash system is a biggie (for me), as are the dual card slots and the leaf shutter lenses. I tend not to "spray and pray" so 2 fps seems okay to me. The 45mm lens, a 30mm lens, a 120mm macro, and maybe something longer would be perfect.

Any other wedding photographers out there? Your honest opinion is always appreciated. :-)

Rick
    I agree Rick. Although I've tapered off weddings, I could see this as a go to kit for most wedding work. I'd probably adapt the HC100/2.2 rather than go for a 90mm just to gain the speed. The HC100/2.2 isn't that large so would probably work fine.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Touchscreen was very responsive.

User interface is fantastic IMHO.
    Turning main dial on top is mirrored in rear LCD.

Industrial design was very well thought out,
    even down to port covers.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rick
    I've drastically cut back on weddings as well. But this just might be a nice small light kit to use. (Fast Autofocus??) I'd be interested to see how well the Nikon flash shoe works with a Nikon TTL Profoto Air transmitter coupled with a Profoto B1 and B2. What a great portable combination! I'm not a fan of TTL, but the Profoto TTL works amazingly well, and gets you really close for final adjustments. Add being able to control output from the camera too. I don't hear many talking about this feature-set, but I think this could be a hidden gem. Not a game changer in my opinion, but definitely kudos to Hasselblad.

Ken
    www.houseoflandscapes.com
    www.kendoophotography.com
    www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I did, upon being handed the camera, was to take off the lens
    to see if there is enough room in the camera body for 100mp sensor, but no.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    The Mamiya 7/II was for many the landscape photographer’s camera bar none. It was compact, not too heavy, had phenomenal glass and the 6x7cm transparencies it produced (when in the right hands) were gorgeous. It didn't have tilt/shift, but quite simply that didn't matter.

From what I’ve read so far, the X1D looks to be as close to a digital successor to the Mamiya as we’ve yet to see.
    My thoughts as well. Definitely the 2016 version of the Mamiya 7 with a small collection of lenses & AF. I also have a similar set up with my XPan II too (3 lenses cover everything, albeit pano). Heck, I travel mostly with a Sony RX1R II anyway.

If I was a landscape shooter wanting to shoot MF without schlepping around a ton of gear, this would be right up there on my wish list.

Jim
    Me too.

For MF I schlep around my boat anchor (or is it reassuringly dense and heavy?) XF or lightweight Actus DB+, both with the same sensor as the X1D. I could easily see myself taking along a small X1D outfit sometimes.

Now if Phase One supported Hasselblad raws in Capture One.
    Ylem ...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea be nice to use in C1 no question. This certainly is on my radar beam. I would love to have tin conjunction with my Sony stuff.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

How was the focus speed and accuracy? Did you try it under dim light? My fear is it's like the horrible focusing on the Leica X1, lots of hunting, sluggish and has trouble locking onto focus point. My hope is its snappy and accurate, more like the Leica Q, but maybe not as fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post

With the 43, 65 and 80 the Mamiya came in at ~2kg (plus film of course!) With the 30, 45 and 90, the total weight of the X1D is gonna be ~3kg. Compare that to the lightest current 3 lens MF alternative - an Alpa TC + DB + (23, 35 and 70) + viewfinder (or iPhone holder); that all comes in at ~4.5kg.

Jim
    If Hasselblad implements an electronic shutter for the X1D, I sure would like to see someone make an adapter to mount Mamiya 7 lenses on it.
    Unfortunately, I don't think I'll live to see the day when a 6x7 sensor camera is available (let alone one that is "affordable"), so even the superb 43mm ultra-wide angle lens will just not have same visual impact on a X1D.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 22nd June 2016 at 22:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    Now that the cat is officially out of the bag, I thought it would be nice to start a new thread on this camera. I am very curious as to what everyone thinks. I, for one, just ordered an H6D-50C, anticipating an upgrade to the H6D-100C when available. I own a Sony A7RII. Although the menu sucks, I really like being able to use my Canon glass. I don't see any reason to purchase an X1D at this point in time.
    I also ordered the same setup but question if the XD1 could shoot 10 FPS, had the Leica EVF and was full frame then what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    I am very impressed with the size.

But for the rest I am not much wiser after the launch yet. I get the feeling this is an almost camera. If it works then great, but I'm not sure it will tempt people away from the 645Z and S007 just yet. First there are a lot of questions about usability, durability and compatibility to be answered.

The lens range is too small, a bit like the criticism was with the SL, but the SL is great with M glass. With the X1D Hasselblad is kind of saying 'but you can use S-lenses as well.', but those are very different and much bigger. No word yet on a V-adapter. They only talk of using Hasselblad lenses, like they always do. But I think they should have marketed this camera more as a stand alone camera that you can use a lot of different lenses on, kind of like Leica did with the SL (and the S). Especially since they have too few lenses now for the time being. Why not try to sell as many cameras as possible, even if it is without lenses? People will buy the lenses when they become available if they already have the camera. But I guess that penny still hasn't dropped with Hasselblad.
    I agree a launch like this with out the needed answers to the flexibility of using other equipment in addition and the TBD features that might push some people into buying the kit are omitted With the initial announcement. I guess that's the take it for a drive sell!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I’ve been looking at the specs and photos this morning. And I read Ming Thein’s blog post:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/2...lblad-x1d-50c/

I tried viewing the streaming video of the Hass presentation but even with my >200MB Internet connection, buffering made it nearly impossible. Lots of simultaneous viewers I’d imagine.

Anyway, there are some specs that drew my attention:

50MP CMOS medium format (43.8 x 32.9mm) sensor (8272 x 6200 pixels). Pixel well of 5.3 x 5.3 μm - Same a 645Z and best-of-breed
    16-bit colour with up to 14 stops of dynamic range - Same as 645Z and best-of-breed
    ISO 100-25,600 - Same as 645Z and best-of-breed
    3-inch 920K-dot touchscreen display - OK but not great; would have been better if articulating; touchscreen looks excellent
    2.36MP XGA EVF - Disappointing; Ming suggests that the SL EVF panel may be exclusive to Leica
    Dual SD slots, USB 3.0 Type-C, mini-HDMI, Audio In/Out - Dual slots is a welcome feature especially with large file sizes
    Wi-Fi and GPS - Sweet; no reason why every new camera wouldn’t have these two features
    3200mAh battery - Sweet; three times the capacity of the a7RII battery
    Hasselblad X1D body weight is 725g (including battery) - Wow! Didn’t see that coming

The design of the camera is very classy and sleek. I like that. The grip appears to be much better than either the Sony or Leica grips, and would fit my large hands. The price is not outrageous. Two lenses now and one to be announced at Photokina is OK but not ideal. The real question is how good will these lenses be? And how fast will AF be?

I’m not blown away by the announcement and there are some open questions that weren’t addressed:

RAW format (DNG or proprietary)
    Lens adapters for non-native lenses
    PDAF or CDAF
    Focal plane and/or leaf shutter with final production models

Overall, a good stimulus for the industry and a signal that medium-format is alive and kicking. The next several months should provide some more data points. For the record, I just sold my 645Z and am using a Sony a7RII exclusively now. I've owned a H4D-40 and H4D-50 and several Hass HC and HCD lenses.

Joe
    Yep I fell kinda the same we were hoping for a 1DX and we knew we would get one but it still serves a purpose for some even if it's only a X1D, maybe the next one will be a D1X I think that name is available HA HA. I think what hasse has pulled off is amazing though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Lossless compressed RAW (unlike the lossy SOny stuff).

Can only adapt H lenses. No indication if one can operate the camera without a system lens mounted.
    (Hasselblad top brass were busy denying rumors that Fuji had a part in the X1D and they are unlikely to clone/rebadge SOny's cameras/lenses in the future. Also, they were patting themselves on their backs saying how proud they are o the X1D. The livestream presentation was a waste. You did not miss much.)

CDAF- likely slow as molasses.

No FP shutter (hence adapting other lenses would be limited)

Edit: They did not mention anything about the very short camera registry or how much it is. A key aspect for adapting any lenses. Rather disappointing as they are attempting to come up with a new camera system.
    I think it will be a great street camera I know the flash system will be sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

So it IS weather and dust sealed, that's the first of my concerns answered. I don't need water proof, but resistant is great. Now... I want to hear reports of AF performance in variable light, focus aids/peaking features and EVF experience relative to smaller competition. I might just be "in" yet...

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit worried about the future of such a system, because it is not necessarily in Hassi's hands.
    They used Sony's 50Mpix sensor, which is already at least 3 years old. That's an eternity in the electronic world. I would have hoped, that Hassi gets an improved version of that chip, to show Sony is still developing it.

What if Sony decides not to continue the crop chip road ? Is Hassi big enough to pull a Leica, and go to another manufacturer and get their own chip ? Or is this 50Mpix chip it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimyeesan View Post
    I didn't realise that it has no FPS and rely solely on the lens shutter...
    This is really a bummer. I mean it could have been more, but i think they really don't have the money to develop this shutter system and also they really want to sell their own lens...

Bummer, really. Also the CDAF...
    Other than size, I don't see it being that revolutionary at all!
    I really think we all thought the M 9 with just 18mp was a waste until we shot it for a month and saw the results give the thing a try you might really like it if not no loss the let you try one for free so why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I agree. The design is intoxicating. Spoken by an engineer.

Good luck with that in the USA. Freedom of speech prevails. Ask The Donald.

Agreed. And Quentin knows from whence he speaks.

Joe
    In the USA you can sue anyone for anything that's one of rights but it doesn't mean it's right to do so, I would call the French CEO again and ask him to re explain his statement I don't think you got the meaning correctly and also mention to him if he has some extra time there is plenty left to do in France and also tell him if the Clintons get back in office the judgement won't be paid none of us will have any money left!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    I am a bit worried about the future of such a system, because it is not necessarily in Hassi's hands.
    They used Sony's 50Mpix sensor, which is already at least 3 years old. That's an eternity in the electronic world. I would have hoped, that Hassi gets an improved version of that chip, to show Sony is still developing it.

What if Sony decides not to continue the crop chip road ? Is Hassi big enough to pull a Leica, and go to another manufacturer and get their own chip ? Or is this 50Mpix chip it ?
    I'm sure they didn't think about that, so they'll probably just close down the production as will Pentax and anybody else using that sensor

The 645 format is a crop too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now with that please carry on with the conversation as it is quite interesting folks different views. Thank you i had to be a Admin for a second there
    His last few posts were threats and he insists he is the privileged one King Nick I wasn't going to comment on his first little tantrum the other day touting how he was special blessed by Hasselblad and all knowing but this last one made me want to say shut the F up if you know what I mean. I had a good friend not with us anymore who well...if Nicky told him off he would of not said a word but instead just laid him out you see my great friend hated threats! But that was the old way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    Yes it might be the Rucksack series, one of the two

This is me and Sir Bargate :..

I keep searching my family history for a hint of nobility but the closest I get is a chap called Sir Bartle Compton Freer, a tad controversial chap... less said about the better...

I have another rel who was a greengrocer from Cornwall...

But enough of that. On the Mamiya 7II front, that was a camera you could hand hold at 1/25 sec and get sharp shots. Wonderful lenses.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tethered shooting??
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The billingham luxury bag, is it included in the price of a camera or costs extra?
    Hi Vivek

I cannot keep myself from feeling that snobbish approach of Blad that burnt them with the Lunacy mental attack.
    Somehow, the ghost is not yet back to the bottle. Unless they get rid of it, it will be hard for them.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Stefan, It would be nice if Huylyss reviews the bag as well.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I cannot keep myself from feeling that snobbish approach of Blad that burnt them with the Lunacy mental attack.
    Somehow, the ghost is not yet back to the bottle. Unless they get rid of it, it will be hard for them.
    Just remember (as they say in the financial world): past performance is no guarantee for future results, that's true for both for bad past performance as well as good past performance.

I think it's better to judge the new camera on its own merits, especially since the Lunacy camera's weren't even produced by Hasselblad, and under the HB skin they were not really bad either, just from a different league, outdated and overpriced.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Stefan seems to have an axe to grind... Attacking Hasselblad on a LL thread saying they are faking their MTFs...

Again.. Under a previous CEO HB made a really badly managed attempt to leverage the brand (Good idea/awful execution). Now there is a new CEO (Great guy) and massive investment in R&D. The H6D is awesome and the X1D is also awesome. Go Hasselblad.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

About the words from the french CEO.
    While I agree there might be a lot of strange things written on the internet I do not think it is a good idea to believe one can avoid this. I am sure the try to do so will end up in more negative things written. IMO it is much better to focus on the product and a good and open communication with existing and potential customers.

ABout the Camera: For the prive of the lenses compared to Leica and other MF lenses (Pentax for example) I am really looking forward to read/see how those lenses deliver in terms of optics/IQ/reliability. If they are really good this would be a very competitive price IMO.

I dont understand why they would not put the best available viewfinder in this camera, because-IMO- besides lens and sensor the viewfinder seems the most important part of a camera IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my eye on this camera......
    the HepKitty
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Hasselblad has always sold to both groups, professionals/enthusiasts and snobbish amateurs, except for the period between the discontinuation of the V-Series and this camera. The H-series never appealed to snobs. Too bulky, too ugly. There was actually a press release a few years ago where they expressed the intention of getting back into the advanced amateur market. "Handmade in Sweden"? I would be able to live with that
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post

I dont understand why they would not put the best available viewfinder in this camera, because-IMO- besides lens and sensor the viewfinder seems the most important part of a camera IMO.
    I think they make these decisions so that people on the internet can tell them how stupid they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Rick
    Wedding photographer checking in.

I shoot around 50 weddings a year, currently with a dual 5DSr setup. I loved using my old 645z for them but the screw based AF as well as the shutter noise killed it for me. I was still using it for portraits and formals though but carrying two systems everywhere was a pain.

The X1D excites me and I would love to try it out in practical use. If a hassy rep is reading and wants to loan me one or two with each lens for a wedding I'll be happy to use it for a written review.

What I dislike most using the Canon's (VS MF) is the 2:3 format, I'm not a fan and I wish they would extend their crop overlay in the viewfinder to cover the 6x4.5 frame as I'd be much happier with my compositions.

I can see myself buying the X1D, a 100mm 2.2 and 80mm 2.8 will be lovely on it - AF speed and speed to preview an image shortly after taken as well as buffer size is a very important factor for me. Shooting 8 shots on a 645z and waiting 14 seconds to see the first image was not acceptable when shooting a wedding. We shoot moments and need it to be responsive. But it will be a step up from the 645z - That much I'm sure with a decent colour profile in Lightroom too.

This could be the Achilles heel of the X1D but it's something no-one has spoken about. I can see it being the issue with a sensor readout or 2.5 frames per second.

We'll have to wait and see.

Right now the competition is the Canon 5DSr, it's a simply wonderful camera to use and shoot producing superb files on great glass. It's not medium format but it's 3 times as affordable and has a lot more features. Just that nothing can beat the look of a larger sensor.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

I followed some of your messages, have read some whining of whatever topic. Just to mention a few:

Will the camera have a future as they rely on Sony sensor?
    Hasselblad never manufactured their own sensors. So what?

What about the Autofokus?
    Hasselblad has Truefocus technology mucho better than other brands - why worry?

What fileformat will they use?
    Who cares? DNG is not better than 3FF.

But the sensor is not "true medium format"?
    Go, live with it.

From my point of view, this is a very potent camera. Having access to the older HC lenses is great. Remember when Leica brought the S2? Everybody whined about the small sensor, but hey - it's still way bigger than funny 35 mm frame. Same is true for the X1D.

Its three times cheaper than the H6D. Why do you complain about the price? Wanna have some rubbish for 400 bucks? Go get yourself a "prosumer" camera with a shitty zoom lens 16-500mm.

To me, this camera looks awesome.

S.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I wanna know how the EVF rates and what the focusing is like. Not that I have a lot (or any) money floating around, but my inclination is to charge one to the credit card and find out for myself...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Stefan seems to have an axe to grind... Attacking Hasselblad on a LL thread saying they are faking their MTFs...

Again.. Under a previous CEO HB made a really badly managed attempt to leverage the brand (Good idea/awful execution). Now there is a new CEO (Great guy) and massive investment in R&D. The H6D is awesome and the X1D is also awesome. Go Hasselblad.
    Not faking - but simply not telling all the facts (no core specs of the MTFs - at all - like contrast ratio and linepairs/mm ?). Or as Churchill said:
    I only believe the statistics, I have faked myself.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What the hell are you folks smoking?

Anyway, back to reality.

As I see this new camera as applied to what and how I now shoot photos:

PROS:

I do not recall any AF issues with the H4D I used, so I doubt this new camera has worse AF than that … and it may be better/faster with the smaller lenses made for it. I do wonder why H did not implement True Focus on this camera which I found to be a tremendous proprietary advantage over all other MF type cameras, and many smaller formats. Actual AF performance TBD.

The balance between size and handling seem to have been well integrated, which is being confirmed by those who've actually handled the camera.

Dual SDs is a key advantage for anyone shooting fleeting subjects. Losing a wedding card is a lot different from losing a vacation card. Both are horrible, but you aren't getting sued by your family for lost vacation snaps. BTW, SD cards are much harder to recover than CFs, so a SD failure is more likely to stay a failure. I worry a bit about this every time I shoot a wedding with the Sony A7R-II. I'm working without a net.

Uses HC and HCD lenses. Recent updates to many Hasselblad lenses have made them more than competitive; the HC-50/3.5-II is second to none IMHO. I hope the HC adapter allows use of the HC extension tubes … even better, the HTS unit for DOF control with the 100/2.2 for table-top product photography.

LS to 1/2000. I know from experience that I can live with this because the H4D I used topped out at 1/800 and I only occasionally had an issue with it. The lack of mirror slap, and of Sony type shutter shock, is a nice benefit of LS only. I'd hazard a guess that this camera is quiet. I could easily see Hasselblad implementing an e-shutter in future when technology allows it. IMO, no focal plane shutter was the right decision for the longer term future of the system because of that.

Higher ISO capability compared to my S-006. Not that big of a deal based on how I shoot, but this new camera could take over S duties AND Sony A7R-II duties with one system.

CONS:

If I understand correctly, this camera does NOT have a PC port. As insignificant as this seems, no PC port conjures up some issues for me. 1) How does one implement 1/2000 sync without the ability to hard-wire from camera to strobe? The Profoto AIR Transmitter tops out at 1/1000 when set to speed mode. (I'm not talking about Hyper-Sync at 1/2000). 2) If I am using a Nikon speed-light in the hot-shoe for TTL fill, how do I trigger my Profoto and Hensel (w.AIR) off-camera strobes?

BTW, no PC port is second only to the cluster-fukc menu when it comes to things I hate about my Sony A7R-II.

NO IS. Actually, with LS lenses this is less of an issue … but a moveable sensor could mean auto sensor cleaning which is a bigger deal with these MF sized cameras.

UNKNOWNS:

For me, the biggest unknown about this new camera is the color rendering and sense of depth in the files. The H cameras I once shot with were great for this using Hasselblad's color engine and profiles … especially when processed in Phocus. That is another thing I subjectively do not like about my Sony A7R-II, and the main reason I haven't really aesthetically connected with anything Sony since the much loved A900.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Not faking - but simply not telling all the facts (no core specs of the MTFs - at all - like contrast ratio and linepairs/mm ?). Or as Churchill said:
    I only believe the statistics, I have faked myself.

Regards
    Stefan
    Agreed. The goodness of this camera is speculative. Sure, it's got a great sensor, manual controls and dual SD card slots, etc. We know what it's got.

But we don't know what it's actually like. How it performs, it's speed and accuracy and how elegant it is in use are what will make it a great camera and these things we don't know as yet.

Let's not go down the Sony hype route so soon.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    I followed some of your messages, have read some whining of whatever topic. Just to mention a few:

Hasselblad never manufactured their own sensors. So what?

Hasselblad has Truefocus technology mucho better than other brands - why worry?

Who cares? DNG is not better than 3FF.

Go, live with it.

From my point of view, this is a very potent camera. Having access to the older HC lenses is great. Remember when Leica brought the S2? Everybody whined about the small sensor, but hey - it's still way bigger than funny 35 mm frame. Same is true for the X1D.

Its three times cheaper than the H6D. Why do you complain about the price? Wanna have some rubbish for 400 bucks? Go get yourself a "prosumer" camera with a shitty zoom lens 16-500mm.

To me, this camera looks awesome.

S.
    Stan
    I can only agree with all points of your post . Very well said .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of the camera but it was dissapointing to see no fps in the body, though I can see why they didn't.
    What would be really cool to see from them now, would be something like a flexbody or hts that can take the H lenses and have electronic control combined with movements. Assuming some have large enough image circles.

At the moment I'm likely to go the Actus/A7rii route. But it's going to be an interesting photokina this year, so I'm going to hold off any big purchase till then.
    Last edited by craigosh; 23rd June 2016 at 02:27.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find this prelim analysis far better than all the info on the X1D on the net from HAsselblad or their surrogates.

https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/2...lblad-x1d-50c/

Stan ROX: the question about the auto focus was about the new CDAF (as opposed to the PDAF in earlier hasselblad cameras except the Lunar). Truefocus plays a computational part in conjunction with the PDAF module to improve the accuracy. There is no information how that would improve the speed in the new X1D or why it should make it "better" than anyone else'.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Ming's appraisal.... thanks for posting.

This looks like one very interesting camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Personally, I think the "ghost buster", was the management shake-up and swift return to their core product with the H6 and CMOS backs. This camera just further confirms that course correction.

Hasselblad, and companies like them with a long history, build up a lot of good-will with their consumers over decades. In marketing circles it is referred to as a "Bank". H went nuts for a time, and their consumers crucified them for it. But it didn't bust the bank. Hassey served me well for many, many years, and I despised the Lunacy detour … however, would jump right back in with a camera like this if I had the real need, and an emotional dose of "Wants and Gimmes".

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just wonder - somehow there are many little points that make me unhappy:
    take the video ad. Showing swedish light, landscape and the history of Hasselblad. Well um, we´ve seen that before ?
    The camera is only happening at the very end of it and not in use, just in closeups and very abstract ?
    They say 3 professionals have tested the camera during the last months and given feedback. Can I hear and see that instead please ?
    I want to see it out at shooting, doing handling and workflow and some stuff from the postproduction ?

I´m sorry , but isn´t this what we all want to see, not this marketing gibberish ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Game changer? I think not!

no efcs, no fps.....no support for 3rd party lenses.

Hasselblad could have make THE start for a new era, well they missed....for now.

I am not saying I was in the boat for one, but this is truly not for me.
    Still waiting for photokina 2016 and what it might bring.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stefan, It would be nice if Hulyss reviews the bag as well.
    I'm not into that and I'm not into reveiw at all. I will use the camera and not extend on his usability or technicity. My goal is to produce images in multiple environments.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough crowd...
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just wonder - somehow there are many little points that make me unhappy:
    take the video ad. Showing swedish light, landscape and the history of Hasselblad. Well um, we´ve seen that before ?
    The camera is only happening at the very end of it and not in use, just in closeups and very abstract ?
    They say 3 professionals have tested the camera during the last months and given feedback. Can I hear and see that instead please ?
    I want to see it out at shooting, doing handling and workflow and some stuff from the postproduction ?

I´m sorry , but isn´t this what we all want to see, not this marketing gibberish ?
    It was just announced yesterday. Stay cool and request for a demo.

http://www.hasselblad.com/support/en...s/demo-request