The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

D&A

..and thats why I prefaced all my comments regarding the X1D's EVF (and EVF's in general), as being subjective. Who knows....although doubtful, different X1D demo units may have somewhat different EVF's or associated electronics.

As stated earlier, I found the Leica SL EVF superb and upon first look through the X1D viewfinder, a feeling of mild disappontment was immediately felt. The feeling was mutual among everyone present. No one was looking for definciences or faults, on the contrary. Looking through an EVF and the viseral feeling one gets, is almost immediate with any camera having an EVF.

Depending on expectations, eyesight and other subjective factors, it can disappear from ones consciousness while shooting or be noticable reminding the user that the view through it could be better. It was the latter view of almost all that shared their thoughts that day. That doesn't mean this view (no pun intended) will be universal by everyone who's tried the X1D, but was something most that day took note of almost immediately.

Thats why we say YMMV. :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

hcubell

Perhaps someone like Joe Colson who has an electrical engineering background can explain it, but why would Hasselblad NOT have included the same EVF from the Leica SL in the X1D? Same with the Fuji GFX. Is the problem the amount of data coming off the bigger sensor relative to the size of the processor that can be crammed into the body?
Thanks.

Godfrey

Perhaps someone like Joe Colson who has an electrical engineering background can explain it, but why would Hasselblad NOT have included the same EVF from the Leica SL in the X1D? Same with the Fuji GFX. Is the problem the amount of data coming off the bigger sensor relative to the size of the processor that can be crammed into the body?
Thanks.
More than likely, Hasselblad's choice of EVF panel is not due to a technical issue and is more likely due to availability, cost, licensing, etc. Leica may well have an exclusive deal with whomever is producing the EVF panel for the SL, for the time being.

One thing is for sure: it is a very expensive component and likely contributes a hefty percentage of the cost of the Leica SL. (At one time around 2009, I recall the Panasonic folks talking about the G1 and saying that their EVF accounted for nearly half the cost of manufacture of that camera... It was for a time the state of the art in EVFs.)

G

D&A

I think there have been other cases where Leica has had proprietary use of a component for a given period of time before it was widely used by other manufaturers. Sometimes its simy to differentiate themselves as a sort of a custom built product. In the case of the SL's EVF, it was definitely noteworthy and a distinct advantage.

Maybe it was just that X1D demo unit I used or the so called "vibes" that day, but the initial impression of the X1D EVF appeared to be subpar to the a7RII EVF, even assuming they used the same panel. I'm trying to come up with a hypothesis as to why this might be.

You know Joe, if price had anything to do with it, then why does the less expensive 645Z viewfinder or even my old Kodak Brownie, have one of the most realistic, lifelike views? LOL!

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

Perhaps. But I'm guessing that it may be more a matter of price. The 4.41MP EVF may not be in mass production yet and may still be very pricey. Since the 2.36MP EVF is mass produced by Epson and used widely, its price is lower and may fit the pricing model of the X1D better. I'd expect that by 2018 we'll see the 4.41MP panel widely used in mirrorless cameras (including the X2D :D). As we all know, Leica has a different pricing model that just about everybody else.

One other possibility is that the 4.41MP EVF may be proprietary to Leica at this time. They may have exclusivity for some specified period determined by their relationship with the manufacturer.

The Fuji GFX is rumored to have upped the ante on EVF resolution (from the 2.36MP de facto standard), but I haven't seen a spec.

Joe
Thanks, Joe. If the issue is one of price, I wonder if the Fuji GFX would be upgradeable to incorporate the 4.41 MP EVF as the viewfinder on the GFX is removable.

glc

i believe what is limiting the EVF is the sensor output. that said i cannot explain why, just something i've seen elsewhere.

I'd say that is definitely a possibility and one that Fuji likely thought well ahead about as they designed the GFX with a removable EVF. Kudos to them if that is in their roadmap.

Joe[/QUOTE]

D&A

i believe what is limiting the EVF is the sensor output. that said i cannot explain why, just something i've seen elsewhere.

I'd say that is definitely a possibility and one that Fuji likely thought well ahead about as they designed the GFX with a removable EVF. Kudos to them if that is in their roadmap.

Joe
[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking about. Could it be if there are differences in quality of EVF between the Sony and X1D (smearing, refresh rate etc.), and assuming they use the same EVF board, that its partly controlled by the readout speed of their respective sensors?

Addtionally even if the Fuji MFD has a modular system for their EVF making it somewhat upgradable, doesn't the internal circuitry of the camera also have to be up to the task? Maybe its already able to handle a future EVF whereas with the Leica M240, it was unable to take advantage of the more current Olympus EVF's from what was implied by Leica.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I'd lean towards a combination of exclusivity and sensor readout speed issues. Keep in mind the base sensor is about 3 years old now.

FWIW the Fuji GFX is said to incorporate a 3.69mp EVF which sort of coincides with the EVF panel that Leica uses for the Leica Q type 116. Of this is true I wouldn't be surprised if the Leica SL EVF winds up in nearly every other mirrorless released in the second half of next year such as the A7mk3/rumored A9 series.

Im excited to see what this camera can do in the hands of some here but for now I won't be an early adopter.

bmwmclar56

Can anyone confirm that the X1D does not have touch screen focus?
I use my cameras for video quite often so the touch focus would be very helpful.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Can anyone confirm that the X1D does not have touch screen focus?
I use my cameras for video quite often so the touch focus would be very helpful.
There is no touch screen focus: you can use the screen to select your preferred focus rectangle but you can't just touch the screen and have it AF right to the point you touched. Also you should know that there is no AF at all when shooting video.

This isn't a camera for shooting video in a run and gun way. There's no stabilisation or AF and it's only 1080P. Video is there in the way that a dog can stand on its hind legs: it can just about be done, but it really isn't the right animal for the job.

DougDolde

Not sure where I saw the issue discussed regarding all the shutter clicks but I asked Hasselblad and their reply:

When you take a photo you will hear a series of clicks. The first click is the aperture and shutter closing. The second click is shutter operating. The third click is the shutter and aperture opening again after the data has been read from the sensor. After the third click Live View will operate again.

The reason for the loud clicks is that the shutter moves very fast (to produce the short shutter speeds) and that produces a different sound than what people are used to. It should be the same sound as the H camera in mirror-up mode.

// The Hasselblad team

hcubell

There is no touch screen focus: you can use the screen to select your preferred focus rectangle but you can't just touch the screen and have it AF right to the point you touched. Also you should know that there is no AF at all when shooting video.
Yes, but worth noting that there is a dedicated button right next to the LCD screen that you can press to AF on the AF point that you select on the LCD screen. That is how I often work off a tripod.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yes, but worth noting that there is a dedicated button right next to the LCD screen that you can press to AF on the AF point that you select on the LCD screen. That is how I often work off a tripod.
I use that a lot too. However, I do think that the four right-hand side round buttons (two on top, two in back) are both situated too far to the left and in a V2 of the camera they should shift them. In particular, the AF/MF switch button is too far away ro reliably find and operate without taking the camera away from the eye.

BANKER1

To increase the prices on XCD lenses BEFORE Hasselblad has fulfilled all the backorders for the X1D camera is unconscionable. The decision to increase prices so dramatically is absolutely backwards to market norms. With the tremendous volume of orders for the camera, the lens manufacturer would have the benefit of large numbers of orders for lenses that would increase the economies of scale. The price should have dropped rather than increased or at least stayed the same. These kind of decisions harken back to the "bad old days" of the Lunar. We all want Hasselblad to be healthy and vital, but this decision smacks of gouging. I was considering the new 120 Macro, but now I will forgo that and use my HC and HCD lenses. That even gives rise to the question, "Where is the H to X adapter?" So, we raise the prices of lenses before there is even a hint of delivery time for the lens converter. I'm left shaking my head as to what Hasselblad is thinking. I just do not know!

Greg