The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

I sure don't get the brand wars for either computers or camera gear. To me they are just tools and if I find a better one that makes financial sense, I switch. I'm thinking that the X1D is my entry into medium format because I'm wanting a simple camera with exceptional quality and ease of use. I'm tired of Sony's complicated interface and all the things I have to remember to get the camera to do what I want. I need a tool to disappear and inspire me to want to use it. I'll likely follow Guy's lead and go to a 2 system setup for a while. Use my a6300 for my real estate gigs and go with a X1D and 2 or 3 lens setup for my landscape work. I'll dump the A7Rii and all it's lenses. It's way over-kill for real estate work and not that enjoyable, to me, for my landscape stuff. It'll take me a while to get there and I'll need to test the X1D in person before I make the jump, but it's the most exciting camera I've seen released in quite some time.

PeterA

Looks like I missed a bit of hot discussion ....oh well..

Peter, I only tried the EVF indoors but I thought it was OK - though I am, I suspect, particularly tolerant of EVFs in general because I have no expectation that they will look exactly like the real world. The blackout period might just have something to do with the speed of the cards Hassy have put in the demonstrators - the one in the X1D I tried was glacial...
Hi Tim

I'm spoilt for EVF deliciousness since I bought my Leica SL and this has become a benchmark. For comparison's sake I'd say the EVF brightness is maybe as good as Sony A7 cameras - which used to be my benchmark. No deal breaker but a tad disappointing (in a relative sense) - I'll be looking to see a production version with finished firmware to see if the EVF jerkiness and blackout timing is a deal breaker. Everything else about the camera is just SUPERB - maybe I forgot to mention that...I think we will get delivery down here early next year ( my guess) and I especially look forward to the 30mm.

- Pete

Funny you should say that...

https://www.instagram.com/nicktnz/

That's exactly what I do, food in studio is probably about 90% of the business.
The occasional portrait and sometimes a food client will ask me to shoot their factory (over my protests) and I'm doing more and more moving stuff. I'm just a bit of a boy scout and like to be prepared for anything.
I looked at your Instagram feed. So hungry now. All that glorious food calling out for me to eat it. I'm off to the kitchen guys.

tashley

Subscriber Member
More info:

"The shutter speed selected by the system in either program or aperture priority will be allowed to drop to (1 / Focal length) before the iso is automatically increased.

The X1D customer units will have the GPS enabled."

Thinking about the shutter speed in auto ISO: the nearest equivalent camera we currently have is the Sony Rx1R II (42.x mp, leaf shutter, mirrorless) so the Hassy at 50mp has a pixel pitch of 5.3u vs 4.5u for the Sony. The Sony's default setting is approx 2x focal length. So it might be that, given that neither has stabilisation, the Sony's choice is slight overkill or the Hassy's is slight underkill. In any event, the Sony's has a Normal Slow Slower Fast Faster range whereas the Hassy for now appears not to have any options. It'll be interesting to see whether the larger pixel pitch is enough to justify this choice or whether it'll need FW revisions to add more choice later...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Using Auto ISO on my D810 I find 1/focal length is not really enough so I set the minimum speed higher.
I agree, me too: but the X1D has a larger pixel size - therefore needing more movement in the form of shake or shock to cross the width of one pixel. It also has no mirror and no focal plane shutter and therefore much less shock. it also has a sensor which isn't that much wider than full frame - more of the extra area of the sensor comes from the increased height of the different aspect ratio. In any event, individual pixels don't know how many other pixels there are: what matters is the pixel pitch and the focal length.

I think Hasselblad might have a point here, though I also think a programmable relationship with focal length will be handy for some.

But we also need to be aware that focal length formulae don't help us much with the field of view adjustments - so that a full frame field of view equivalent focal length on the hassy will be longer and therefore need (and be given) higher shutter speed.

Last edited:

D&A

Retail stores are beginning to get their demo units with final or near-final firmware, as some have reported here on GetDPI. Customer units are "expected in 3-4 weeks". Stay tuned.

Joe
Thats encouraging news Joe, thanks. I'm looking forward to having the chance to putting it through its paces, as much as time allows with these demo units.

Oh does that also mean you will be suffering from a severe case of goosebumps for 4 more weeks? LOL.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Lee Love at Ace Photo has his demo unit. That's convenient to you. Check it out.

And yes, I'll have a severe case of goosebumps for at least four weeks. :banghead:

Joe
Wow Joe, thanks ever so much for the heads up. Will try to head over there tomorrow. Lee and myself have often engaged in debating the merrits of a variety number of new camera systems but usually come to a consensus when all is said and done.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Wow Joe, thanks ever so much for the heads up. Will try to head over there tomorrow. Lee and myself have often engaged in debating the merrits of a variety number of new camera systems but usually come to a consensus when all is said and done.

Dave (D&A)
I stopped over (Lee wasn't in). Well apparently the X1D demo unit demo is sort of under wraps. Its hoped battery will be charged and unit available for show on the weekend.

That means my "Oceans 11" style heist will have to be rescheduled...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

+1 (hint, I'm a fast driver):p
Well the moment of truth had arrived. I went to case out the joint just prior to the planned heist. There she was (why are cameras always a "she"?...LOL). Must admit, she was svelt, sexy, easy to handle. I couldn't keep my hands off of her. Yes, Joe was right, it's an instant case of the goose bumps. I even walked her outside....just the two of us "alone", taking a stroll, on this blazingly bright sunny day. There was my chance, to make a break for it, with her of course cradled securely in my arms. I looked to my left and then to my right, no one in sight....but wait! Where was Erik, my sidekick who I was to hand her off to? A "no show"? That's fine, I'll do it myself and jump into Dan's car....cause he can drive fast and make a quick get away. I looked but he too was a no show. Whats going on? Was I set up? If caught, was I to be one less man on the wait list in case if I was ever interested in her? Stay tuned.

In any case, although many others have spent some time with her and gave their impressions, these were my initial observations:

1. It took approx. 8 seconds till she was ready to go from the moment I powered her up each time. I'm not sure if a faster card would have had much effect on on this, but didn't have time to investigate (although no card inserted elicited the same result). This means on a stroll, I would need to keep her active...um I mean powered up all day long for fear of missing a shot.

2. From previous suiters, I heard it took almost an entire day to charge her battery.

3. First let me say I am not a fan of EVFs. The view from her own eyes (her EVF) was a bit disappointing. Leica SL has class leading EVF (240 fps refresh rate?) Sony and Fuji APS mirrorless are very good but a step down (120 fps refresh rate?). Have no idea of specs but the X1D appeared to be slower (60 fps/refresh rate?) than all of the above and although better than the EVF1 used on the Leica M240 or its Olympus equivalent, not sure if it was significantly better except for larger size of viewfinder.r

4. Shutter when fired sounded like a farily audiable tap of a metal spoon on a metal lens hood. A "clang" is the way I would describe the sound. I kept looking around to see "what" might be striking "what". Something I didn't expect but these type of surprises happens when meeting someone new :).

5. Rear LCD was good and fairly responsive as was the sensitivity to touch. It took a while to learn to navigate to various settings but this was well done for the most part.

6. Tactile feel of each button and control was superb. Solid but with the right degree of dampening.

7. She's been working out. Body felt like it was carved from a solid block of metal, yet unbelievably light and small with lens attached. A hikers dream.

8. Ergonomic grip was just right in the hands as was the grip material.

9. Blackout of EVF after the shot was OK....sort of in the middle of the pack of mirrorless cameras.

10. In extremely bright glaring sunlight, the metering accuracy in handling this difficult lighting scenario was good although like any sophisticated metering system, exposure comp was needed, maybe more so than I am used to,. Same indoors without flash.

11. I won't have time to download the shots I took with her till much later, but all were taken in the worst possible outdoor lighting. It was very bright overhead sunlight on a cloudless day with shiny cars reflecting sunlight in parking lot and an all white building to boot on the other side sort of acting as a beauty dish...I mean reflector :). Took some basic indoor shots too. Will return for a second date with her when conditions are more appropriate. You know what they say about 2nd dates...LOL! I was going to hang around for the end of day light and some additional shots taken with her, but she was exhausted from all the excitement and handling and as a result, her battery was completely depleated of energy. Did I push her too much and too far? :)

In all seriousness, this was simply a first impression. We all know beauty is only skin deep and it's her files that are going to be the telltale sign just how desirable she is, especially her "RAW" (file) side in my opinion. Aside from that, there are many things to like but I can see where things could be improved on a camera at this level. I'd start with a better grade and higher refresh rate for the EVF. Smearing was readily evident. I'd also speed up a bit, the overall responsiveness of the camera. Size and weight is incomparable for this class of camera and solidness of the package is exemplary. Finally the piece de resistance was her anodized aluminum cinnamon color shutter button. Very classy but what else would one expect. When all was said and done, it shows above all else, that she has understated elegance and doesn't have to be flashy with lots of external bells and whistles and a myriad of buttons to show off.

Some might say she's a bit of a diamond in the rough. I'd say she's far better than that but future attention to improving certain characteristics and attributes, would definitely increase her appeal.

Would I desire to take her out on a 2nd date? Absolutely. Would I introduce her to the parents for a perminant commitment (at least until the next siren comes along?....LOL). The jury is out on that one for the monent. I would need to spend more time with her :). I have my current "squeeze", so that has to be taken into consideration as I'm quite loyal you know.

Of course the few hastily taken " blown out" cell phone pics of her below, doesn't do her justice. She deserves better, especially as she's far more deminutive in size than she appears. Yep it's those wide angle cell phone lenses that do it every time. :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Dave, I think "she" changed makeup on you. Her button is yellow! Maybe her date needs a WB check?
John I noticed that too but my WB is fine last time I looked..but as us guys usually do, we blame it on something else. In this case it was my lousy cell phone camera's WB . No post prcessing on these images. Believe me, in real life "her" shutter button is something to behold in anodized aluminum cinnamon color. I wasn't the only one who's eyes quickly gazed towards it, believe me...LOL.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Does the EVF simulate exposure? or does it just give you an average at all time?
Don't take this as gospal, but with each half press of the shutter button, the EVF seemed to simulate exposure. How accurate it was as compared to the actual exposure achieved will require a more well controlled test.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hasselblad has been surprisingly quiet about the full specifications for the EVF. It's probably the same Epson 2.36MP EVF used on several other mirrorless cameras. But the refresh rate has not shown up in the specs that I've seen. Nor has any mention of simulation of exposure via the EVF. Here's all I can find from Hasselblad:

So the exact capability of the EVF remains a known unknown. We don't even know whether the cameras now being demo-ed in retail stores have the final firmware or not. I'm hoping that the EVF will be as good as the one on my a7RII. That's "good enough" for me.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I'm unable to personally assess the visual difference between the Sony a7RII EVF and the one on the X1D ( wish I had at the time)... but in speaking with someone who has casually compared both, they were of the opinion that the Sony was superior with possibly a faster refresh rate. How much superior, quantitatively speaking, I honestly can't say. It also may be somewhat subjective as each of us has different sensitivities as to what we expect of a given cameras EVF.

As you suggest, its entirely possible that the EVF incorporated on retail units shipped in a month or two, may be upgraded from the ones in current demo units.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Exactly my point. At this time, we only have anecdotal information regarding the EVF spec. Nothing definitive from Hasselblad. And we're only 3-4 weeks away from the first customer shipments. I'm not suggesting that your first-hand account isn't valid; just that it's not what I'd expect from the manufacturer at this point in the development/production cycle.

I don't expect the EVF itself to be upgraded, but the firmware may be. The EVF electronics are "baked in" at this point and are well known. The refresh rate and what features are available through the EVF (exposure simulation for example) are still known unknowns.

Thanks for stopping by Ace Photo to take a look at the camera. I'm envious. And when you have a chance, upload a few RAW files to Dropbox so that the rest of us can take a look.

Joe
Joe,

I'm no expert but I don't see how a firmware update alone could significantly alter EVF refresh rate/ smearing and other EVF characteristics I experienced, otherwise could't have Leica done that in addressing the disappointing external EVF used with the M240?

I agree its late in the game for a change in production EVF's but who knows how long ago these demo untits were first put together. Regardless of their firmware, their hardware specs (such as the EVF amd associted electronics) could have been baked into these demos more than a year ago? Maybe the lack of specs for the EVF at this point is due to in house debate of poasibly upgrading prior to shipping store purchased production units...who knows?

What immediately struck me.though was apparently how medicore the EVF was. I also heard this from others. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who is not a fan of EVF's and has also been spoiled but having had the opportunity to use the Leica SL, which has a EVF thats as close to an OVF as I have ever seen. I expected aomething similar on the X1D.

I will try to post some files. I am very particular when it come to.taking test shots...tripod mounted, well defined parameters such as at every f stop and three different subjct distances (min, mid distance and infinity) as well as various ISO's as much as the conditions will allow. None of this took place. Possibly the worse lighting conditions to test a camera. Midday near overhead sunlight with bright blue cloudless sky, glaring and reflecting light off parked cars and the block long white building acted as a giant reflector. I could barely see myself, or the viewfinder, having to squint regardless of direction. I simply fired away regardless of settings (ISO, f-stop etc.), to get a feel of the camera at best. Later realized I took many images at ISO 800...LOL. Today is no better (carbon copy), so hoping to return when proper shooting conditons prevail.

Joe, do I smell road trip? I would have thought you'd be in your car by now. Already previous Oceans 11's plan didn't materialize, but theres always Oceans 12! :). That and lunch/dinner on me too.

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

These evaluations of the EVF quality are pretty subjective and probably personal.

The Leica SL EVF is pretty amazing to me, I forget that it's an electronic view finder a good bit of the time. Same for the Olympus E-M1 viewfinder. I never forgot that the Sony A7 viewfinder was electronic; something about it didn't seem to work as well as the other two. When I picked up the X1D at the demo last June, I had the same feeling I had with the E-M1 and SL ... most of the time its technology didn't register to me, it just provided a good view for focusing and framing the subject.

Of course, if I'm looking to find fault with an EVF, I can find fault with all of them in one way or another. In just the same way, I can find fault with just about any optical-mechanical rangefinder or optical reflex finder as well. But that's usually not what I'm doing when I pick up a camera ... I'm not looking to find fault with something, I'm looking to see how well I can focus and frame my subject.

I had absolutely no problems focusing and framing with the X1D, and I hadn't even found the magnification function yet. That to me says it gets at least a passing grade... :toocool:

G