The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning a CFV-50c Sensor

pflower

Actually it is same sensor as the H5 and H6 50c. However I have been shocked by the huge amount of dust that it attracts from my 503cx. The back came with a small pack of e-wipes which I immediately lost. So I have been just blowing air from one of those rocket things at it, but have just come back from a shoot to discover that the huge amount of dust pretty much renders the entire shoot unusable without hours of minute post processing with the spot removal brush.

Can anyone give some advice as to the best or safest way of dealing with this? E-wipes? Eclipse and Pec Pads? A static brush (if so which one)? Any other thoughts - other than just buying a fixed lens camera. What do others do?

Thanks

Paul2660

Best wipe is the Mamiya wipe, IMO, and you might pick up a Phase One cleaning kit, as it has a plastic piece that you can fit the wipe around. I realize you have a Hasselblad, but it's all the same with the sensor, (Sony).

Phase kit used to have 2 solutions, A and B, you normally just need the clear B. You probably can also use Eclipse/pec pads, but I prefer the Mamiya Wipe as it is made from a material that leaves no stringers, or little pieces of material.

Here is a link:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/mamiya-sensor-cleaning-wipes/

Don't throw these wipes away after cleaning, they are also great for lenses, etc. Wonderful material.

Paul C

pflower

Thanks. As far as I can see the Phase One kit is no longer available - at least in the UK. Now they seem to be offering Eclipse. Do you use Eclipse with the Mamiya Wipes?

Best wipe is the Mamiya wipe, IMO, and you might pick up a Phase One cleaning kit, as it has a plastic piece that you can fit the wipe around. I realize you have a Hasselblad, but it's all the same with the sensor, (Sony).

Phase kit used to have 2 solutions, A and B, you normally just need the clear B. You probably can also use Eclipse/pec pads, but I prefer the Mamiya Wipe as it is made from a material that leaves no stringers, or little pieces of material.

Here is a link:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/mamiya-sensor-cleaning-wipes/

Don't throw these wipes away after cleaning, they are also great for lenses, etc. Wonderful material.

Paul C

Paul2660

I can't see any problem with the Eclipse but would still check with your dealer. Key for me are the Mamiya wipes, as nothing else I have used works as well to prevent streaks and the issue of catching a fiber at the edge of the sensor.

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

Regarding sensor wipes, I concur with Paul, Mamiya/Leaf wipes are the best (same that ship with Sinar digital backs). The difference is in how they absorb, and that they are not linty/fibrous (which can catch in the sides of the digital back IR Filter enclosure). I will say that ours is a close second (we spent a long time sourcing these), but you get a lot more for your money. The wipes that come in the Phase One cleaning kits, toss or save for some other use. Never liked the pre-packaged EZ Wipes either, the quality control always seemed inconsistent, some would have too much fluid, some would not have enough (yikes).

Your best advice and recommendations are right here, courtesy of Brad Kaye. Believe me, Brad sees everything.

https://captureintegration.com/ci-recommended-sensor-cleaning-practices/

I learned quite a few things from his excellent write up.

* FYI - the picture of our cleaning kit in the above article near the end reflects the same fibery, not nearly absorbent enough wipes that come in the Phase One cleaning kits. At one time, we used these, but no longer, we just haven't gotten around to updating the product image.

Steve Hendrix/CI

stngoldberg

Hasselblad encloses a package of ECLIPSE wipes with all their new cameras
I have tried them all, and I found the Eclipse wipes moistened with their solvent and applied by using their plastic card with the wipe folded twice around it as the most simple and most effective way to clean a Hasselblad sensor
Stanley

vjbelle

I use the rocket blower for my first attempt at getting dust off of the sensor. But the suggestion from Steve is very good and I'll certainly be getting a Visible Dust blower. However, after that and for anything stubborn I just use water dampened micro clothes (the kind that come with prescription glasses) and that works extremely well. A little water on a part of the cloth for cleaning and the other part of the cloth can be used for drying. After that I usually follow up with a final blowing.

Victor

MomentsForZen

After using a wipe that has been pre-soaked with Eclipse fluid (or a dry wipe that has had several drops of Eclipse fluid added to it), the surface of the sensor will be damp.

* Does the residual fluid evaporate without leaving any residue?

* Or must the surface be dried off with another dry wipe?

* Which dry or wet wipes do you use?

I can see the artifacts on my photographic images from dust on the sensor. I have tried to blow the dust off, but some of the dust is very stubbornly attached. Thus, I need to directly clean the dust off, but I am very nervous about cleaning the sensor surface. Why am I nervous? Because of the warnings and cautions expressed on the web in relation to this. I can't see any actual evidence of what happens if the wrong procedure is used. I'm sure that the need for caution is there, but where is the evidence to move the issue from mythology to reality? Is the IR filter protecting the actual sensor surface scratched if the wrong cleaning method used? What would constitute "the wrong method"? Wiping with a general purpose household cleaning cloth? With a brush designed for wiping lenses? Moistening the surface by breathing on it?

Many thanks for any assistance that you can provide in these matters by sharing your experiences.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, you pretty much covered the wrong approaches to cleaning the IR filter.

my recommendation:

0) use a sensor loupe to view the IR glass and look for obvious dust to focus on
1) use a dust blower such as the Zeeion first.
2) use mamiya/leaf dry wipe and moisten with eclipse fluid
3) swipe in a confident single motion across using the plastic card with wipe wrapped around it.
4) flip and swipe back.
5) go back to (0) and check again and if necessary repeat 2-4 but adjust the cloth so that a new clean section is used.

You may see a film left. It'll rapidly evaporate off.

Last edited:

beano_z

Not entirely on topic, but does the CMOS sensor require more frequent cleaning? I'm also getting excessive dust on my new CMOS sensor after just a few weeks (of not even using it) which is quite different from my CCD back before, which I would only clean about twice a year :confused:

vjbelle

Well, you pretty much covered the wrong approaches to cleaning the IR filter.
Well...... I've been using my tried and true old fashioned water method for years and years from my P25 to my IQ3100 with excellent results. I can't imagine using a sensor loupe when the only 'real' way to check for contamination is to shoot an LCC file - or a wall if you like - at f22 or beyond before and after cleaning. I even manage to get the troubled corners clean.....

Horses for courses.....

Victor

GrahamWelland

What's the 'water method'?

I use the sensor loupe just to see if there are big chunks of dust to blow off. I agree though that the best way is to shoot an LCC or other white target. You just have to remember that the physical sensor is actually the complete reverse orientation of the image file - i.e the top of the image is the bottom of the sensor and likewise for left/right.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use the sensor loupe just to see if there are big chunks of dust to blow off. I agree though that the best way is to shoot an LCC or other white target. You just have to remember that the physical sensor is actually the complete reverse orientation of the image file - i.e the top of the image is the bottom of the sensor and vice versa for left/right.
Careful, Graham! While what you say is true about right/left, up/down reversal from sensor to image, when you turn the camera around to clean the sensor, you reverse left/right again, so a dust spot in the upper left corner of an image corresponds to a piece of dust in the lower left portion of the sensor.

Best,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Doh ... :facesmack:

But like I said, I still like using the sensor loupe and then there's no confusion. Even for me. :D

vjbelle

What's the 'water method'?

. You just have to remember that the physical sensor is actually the complete reverse orientation of the image file - i.e the top of the image is the bottom of the sensor and likewise for left/right.
So true...... :D For the 'unknowing' this could induce some confusion.;)

Victor