The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D 4116 first impressions

mkerouac

The camera only arrived this morning and I just dropped the charged battery into it an hour ago. But so far the X1D is impressive.

Observations;

1) The 4116 is stunning. Love the design and the look of the black. Rock solid build quality. Fits nicely in the hand.
2) Current firmware isn't bad. The operating system is very similar to the H6D, so seamless learning curve.
3) Controls are very well thought out and there are some very interesting features. Like Manual Quick Shot and the AF/MF toggle.
4) Having three programmable C settings on the dial is convenient.
5) Touch screen works great.
6) Back button focus is possible through AFD button. But it only works in AFS mode. So a little awkward, but better than front button.
7) Power save features have been added. Certain parts of the camera shut down depending on what you are doing.
8) Shutter lag isn't ideal, but its acceptable to me. I've used other mirrorless cameras that are worse. I'm sure Hasselblad will improve this over time.
9) No input for a wired remote. I think the anticipation is that users will leverage the Phocus Mobile App for remote shutter.
10) EVF is stellar. Very bright and to my eye, accurate. I've seen other EVF's that have a surreal look to them.
11) Hasselblad included a 1 year warranty extension for both the lens and the body.
12) Neck strap and wrist strap included.
13) Huge, huge advantage for me. I shoot Nikon 35mm. I own several Nikon flashes and my Elinchrom Strobes use the Nikon version of the Skyport HS+ Controller. As far as I can tell the X1D is compatible with all of it. I can even use the Nikon SU 800 in the hot shoe to remotely control multiple Nikon flashes. Well done Hasselblad!!

I won't get to really work the camera until Sat. But so far nothing has made me regret my purchase decision. This camera is going to be tremendous in the field and maybe even the studio. Here are a few quick snaps from my iPhone.

IMG_3175.JPGIMG_3174.JPGIMG_3173.JPGIMG_3172.JPG

mkerouac

One update from my original list. The firmware shipping with the camera is the latest Demo firmware. AF points work, AWB works, most everything else. Most glaring missing item is being able to custom configure the buttons. So AFD does focus, but the camera focuses again when you press the shutter. So no back button focus, even in AFS, yet. Backbutton focus won't really be complete until AFC is added.

I've also just been snapping a lot of nothing shots around the house to continue testing shutter lag. I still don't think its an issue. The second image of the same general scene actually seems to have slightly less lag. But it is fully acceptable as is (IMHO) and I expect it will get better as Hasse updates the firmware

One update from my original list. The firmware shipping with the camera is the latest Demo firmware. AF points work, AWB works, most everything else. Most glaring missing item is being able to custom configure the buttons. So AFD does focus, but the camera focuses again when you press the shutter. So no back button focus, even in AFS, yet. Backbutton focus won't really be complete until AFC is added.
You must put the focus to MF, then AFD works and the camera will not refocus when releasing the shutter. That is very common with all H cams.

mkerouac

You must put the focus to MF, then AFD works and the camera will not refocus when releasing the shutter. That is very common with all H cams.

Thank you. That's a bit different than the user manual on line. I just shut off AF on shutter on my H cams and use true focus, so the process you described wasn't familiar to me. I did notice that if you just hold the AFD button down in AF mode it will not refocus.

mkerouac

I figured I would just add discoveries as they happen. I'm trying to find reasons not to like this camera, but it's hard. Just want to totally wring it out while I'm in my return period. The X1D is drop dead gorgeous, but I don't want to fall in love with a car that has a beautiful body, but a bad engine hidden under the hood.

I took the X1D outdoors today. The EVF does have quite a bit of shimmer in it. It's very noticeable in wide angle scenes. Not sure if it's the refresh rate or something else, but it is a distraction. The shimmer is not nearly as noticeable inside. Curious to know if others who have received their X1D see the same thing.

Other item, that you all may already know, is that GPS is not embedded in the camera. Buyers will receive an external GPS module at a later date. This was a bit of a surprise to me. (Although I couldn't figure out how Hasselblad was going to get a strong GPS signal from inside that all metal body.) The idea of having a GPS appendage hanging off such a sleek camera is unappealing to me.

Only other nit is AF. I'm used to slow AF from the H series cameras, the X1D isn't much better. I expected it to be noticeable faster than the H cameras. The AF just won't snap in to focus. It's more like a slow roll.

That's it for now. More testing this weekend.

Nick-T

(Although I couldn't figure out how Hasselblad was going to get a strong GPS signal from inside that all metal body.)
The intention was always to have internal GPS but as you rightly observed the metal body meant it struggled to acquire signal.

D&A

The intention was always to have internal GPS but as you rightly observed the metal body meant it struggled to acquire signal.
Nick, I am no expert on GPS and signal aquasition but since the planned internal GPS was supposed to utilize the space of one of those two black plastic pieces on the side of the hot shoe for a GPS antenna, wouldn't that have then essentially been an external GPS anntenna? I realize though it might not have had the omni direction ability of the one planned.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

I figured I would just add discoveries as they happen. I'm trying to find reasons not to like this camera, but it's hard. Just want to totally wring it out while I'm in my return period. The X1D is drop dead gorgeous, but I don't want to fall in love with a car that has a beautiful body, but a bad engine hidden under the hood.

I took the X1D outdoors today. The EVF does have quite a bit of shimmer in it. It's very noticeable in wide angle scenes. Not sure if it's the refresh rate or something else, but it is a distraction. The shimmer is not nearly as noticeable inside. Curious to know if others who have received their X1D see the same thing.

Other item, that you all may already know, is that GPS is not embedded in the camera. Buyers will receive an external GPS module at a later date. This was a bit of a surprise to me. (Although I couldn't figure out how Hasselblad was going to get a strong GPS signal from inside that all metal body.) The idea of having a GPS appendage hanging off such a sleek camera is unappealing to me.

Only other nit is AF. I'm used to slow AF from the H series cameras, the X1D isn't much better. I expected it to be noticeable faster than the H cameras. The AF just won't snap in to focus. It's more like a slow roll.

That's it for now. More testing this weekend.
Although 1st impressions after aquiring a highly desirable item tend to lean highly in the positive direction, its over the longer haul that more objectivity sets in and pluses and minuses can be assessed with a bit less biases in my opinion. Also long term use tends to reveal those small things that often may be problematic or an annoyance for a particular user.

Hmmm, maybe not so different than how one views a relationship over time..LOL.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Godfrey

I will not spend that money now.
I will not spend that money now.
I will not spend that money now..

Darn thing looks gorgeous in black. :D

G

vjbelle

Don't know what it costs for you Brits but here in the USA the cost differential is $1700.00. If someone really wants black then that's the price for entry plus the 45mm lens..... Lovely camera:)

Victor

Thank you. That's a bit different than the user manual on line. I just shut off AF on shutter on my H cams and use true focus, so the process you described wasn't familiar to me. I did notice that if you just hold the AFD button down in AF mode it will not refocus.
For the H5/H6 you can put MF to the system in general. Then reconfigure the AE-L button to AFD (Autofocus Drive), the TF button to TrueFocus and the AEL function to the shutter release button (half press). With this you get all of it: Manual focus when turning the lens, True Focus when hitting the TF button and back button AF when pressing and releasing the AE-L button (focus is locked) for recomposition. And by half pressing the shutter release button you still can save the exposure from the original framing.

Just check it out!

mkerouac

For the H5/H6 you can put MF to the system in general. Then reconfigure the AE-L button to AFD (Autofocus Drive), the TF button to TrueFocus and the AEL function to the shutter release button (half press). With this you get all of it: Manual focus when turning the lens, True Focus when hitting the TF button and back button AF when pressing and releasing the AE-L button (focus is locked) for recomposition. And by half pressing the shutter release button you still can save the exposure from the original framing.

Just check it out!
Awesome advice, thank you!!

chrismuc

If other X1D users copy this slow AF and the Fuji's GFX AF performs essentially with the speed of a X-T1 (like some early testers stated) this is a - if not the - killer argument pro Fuji.

KeithL

The US price difference is $1700. Hasselblad extends the warranty by a year on the body and the 45mm, and includes a wrist strap and a shoulder strap.
Prices in UK as follows:

X1D = 7788 GBP
X1D Black version 4116 = 10788 GBP or an extra 3000 GBP which is roughly 3764 US Dollars.

Once again we get stuffed here in the UK.

hcubell

If other X1D users copy this slow AF and the Fuji's GFX AF performs essentially with the speed of a X-T1 (like some early testers stated) this is a - if not the - killer argument pro Fuji.
Perhaps it doesn't occur to you that AF speed is not the primary consideration for many photographers interested in an X1D. My other camera is a Hasselblad H2 with an IQ 180 back. Many others who participate here own Phase XFs. Still others use technical cameras. If that is your baseline in terms of AF performance, your expectations and needs are, by definition, completely different from someone whose other camera is a Fuji X-T1. My experience so far with the X1D is that the AF is actually pretty good, but I have no plan to use it to shoot sports or other usages where AF speed is critical. I am much more concerned with having a smaller and more portable alternative to my H2/Phase that handles beautifully, has a clean, uncluttered user interface, and great lenses. Fuji JPEG film emulations? Not so much.
I would never compare the Fuji GFX with the X1D on the basis of a spreadsheet of features. I would carry each of them around with me for a day and shoot with it the way I shoot.

KeithL

The Fuji system and the Hasselblad system are very different. Photographers will, or rather should, match the system and camera they buy to their needs. Failure to do so could be an expensive mistake.

On a personal note the Hasselblad camera comes nearer to matching my needs than the Fuji camera and although the Fuji system is undoubtedly more comprehensive it does not tip the balance in favour of the Fuji camera and system.