Site Sponsors
Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 2795

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Funny, in my early years with digital (like with my agfa 1680) I would format my cards religiously but for no other reason than I have not seen a need to I have not formatted a card since before my KM7D. Am I missing something? I swap card a lot between several different camera's weekly and have never had a issue that I am aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Funny, in my early years with digital (like with my agfa 1680) I would format my cards religiously but for no other reason than I have not seen a need to I have not formatted a card since before my KM7D. Am I missing something? I swap card a lot between several different camera's weekly and have never had a issue that I am aware of.
    I shot weddings with a friend = we covered the wedding together, and he never formatted the card, untill one day he mounted it at my pc, and there were a lot of trubles, funny things happened, but after that he always formatted it in the camera, and no problems later, ever.

So after that I always do it, also after reading some recommendations, but perhaps it is more "just to be sure", but to ruin a serie of wedding-pics are really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that would be bad..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Want to add to the discussion (best made digital cam....):
    The DP2M has not only the Foveon Sensor but a world-class lens as well. Even Leica and Zeiss glass has to fight the 2M's lens very hard.
    I agree about the lens and it is based on going back through my photographs and comparing the same shots - albeit on different dates - of one or two regular 'test' landscapes I do. Leica always outperforms Nikkor but in terms of detail and microcontrast the Sigma 30/2.8 outperforms both. Or it could be the sensor, or a combination.

That's not to dis Leica or Nikkor, two lens families I have a great deal of respect for and would gladly use now and in the future if necessary. In any case you could argue that for many purposes you wouldn't notice the difference.

However I am confident I can produce pin sharp prints at 30x20 with the DP2M which will capture the attention of the viewer.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

The sharpest combination I have is the Olympus E-M5 with Olympus 75mm f/1.8, and I compared today shot against the same object.

It must be said that this Oly combination is incredibly sharp - sharper than a similar test I have done with the famous Nikon 200mm VR F.2.0

I am fully aware that it is not the exact way to compare these two things - one is 150mm and the other is 45mm ('s equivalent), so it's not a fair test, but I had to try anyway

Oly combination was sharper - for me clearly, but Sigma-one has a better "look", where Oly combination is more "digital", hard to explain, but I think you understand.

Sigma DP2Merrill is really sharp enough and I am very happy with it, but it got better sharpness with USM 30-7-3 .... or High Pass, pixel 1 radius and overlay (Nikon NX2 after conversion to TIFF), not both, as I would normally use as default, and then sometimes put it down, for example with Oly combination.

(the sharpening I do is for print - normally A3+)

-----

I am still a little worrying about the "formatting-problem", where I took the battery out (please see earlier post) - I have just read a huge warning about it in the manual for the Sigma - does anybody know what - in worst case - could happen ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndel View Post
    I am still a little worrying about the "formatting-problem", where I took the battery out (please see earlier post) - I have just read a huge warning about it in the manual for the Sigma - does anybody know what - in worst case - could happen ?
    If your camera formatted the card OK on second try, I don't see why you should be worried. I had the same problem and my card is working nicely (although better speed would be nice )
    My wild guess about formatting problems is that the first time you format the card in camera, it has "NO NAME" name. Whet the camera starts to format, it renames the card to "Sigma DP2M" and starts to format card. I think that the problem lies in some bug somewhere between naming and formatting (camera trying to format card "NO NAME" but actually has card "Sigma DP2M") because the second time you try to format the card it already has correct name and formatting succeeds. Just my wild guess

valka

Post Thanks / Like

Both times I've done a firmware update on my DP2M I've had to yank the battery to stop an endless "format." Put the battery back in, power up the camera, and the card formats in seconds. Camera works flawlessly otherwise, including routine card formatting when only images the camera made are on the card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The sharpest combination I have is the Olympus E-M5 with Olympus 75mm f/1.8, and I compared today shot against the same object.

Oly combination was sharper - for me clearly, but Sigma-one has a better "look", where Oly combination is more "digital", hard to explain, but I think you understand.
    That surprises me. The closest I have some in terms of sharpness to the DP2M is my Hasselblad HC-50 II lens on the H4D-50. That lens was redesigned specifically to replace the earlier Mk1 which was OK but not outstanding on the latest generation of sensors. However, sharp as that lens is, there are moire issues not present in the Sigma DP2M with its Foveon sensor, so in some cases the advantages of extreme sharpness can be countered with artifacts and moire on bayer sensors.

Of course the Hasselblad combination is clearly superior in absolute terms given the pixel count, and a great camera generally (which it should be given the HC-50 II lens alone costs 4 times the price of the DP2M!). But guess which camera I use more?
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

The Oly EM-5 with 75/1.8 is a very nice combo. Very sharp, as sharp as it gets with MFT's, but IMO can not compete to the Sigmas M's in any way.
    I like to use the Olympus for people and portraits. As a complete system MFT is hard to beat if you want it small. But the files of the Sigma, low Iso and carefully processed etc, are not to beat.
    For me the two (and Sony NEX 7) complement one another.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Quentin and W.Utsch, perhaps the sometimes front focus (but not much and only sometimes)has a roll here ?

I used "standard" color and 0.0 in sharpening in-camera and Sigma Pro Photo, and only set a grey color point for the WB, then Tiff and then went to the Nikon NX2.

Perhaps it is too problematic to use a 150mm lens (75 x2) against a 45mm - the subject was about 75-100 metres away (I think this is about 300 yards), both f. 2.8, about same light, and fine (very short) shuttertime.

But this Oly-combo is really a killer-combo, as mentioned I have shot it against the mighty Nikon 200mm f/2.0 VR1, and it was my dream lens, untill I got the Oly 75mm (of course the Nikon 200mm is much better for sports, with a fantastic AF).

I will look into my other pics and find a more "right" lens to compare with - there is this fine house about 75-100 metres from me, and it is the most photographed house , because I have testet all my lenses and cameras with this house since 2005 - day and night - winter and summer - do not hope anybody will interpretate it wrong, and think I am a Paparazzi

----

Added: Checked with the Nikon 28mm (both manual and AF), and the Sigma was sharper than both at f. 2.8, the closest I got to the 45mm focal lenght is my Panasonic 20mm for m/4/3 (40mm), but it is a picture in a totally other light, so I can not compare.

Then I compared the D3x mounted with Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, and it seems a bit sharper, but only at the precise focus point and the short area around, the rest of the picture was in fact sharper with the Sigma !!

Then I tryed again with the Oly-combination, and also here it is only the focus point and the area around this focus point, which is sharper(that was what I looked for in the first), NOT the rest of the picture.

So the sum (for me) is:

Sharper than the Nikon 28mm on the Nikon D3x - all over

Sigma: Not sharper - a bit less sharper - than the Oly e-m5 + Oly 75mm f/1.8 at the focus point and the area around, but sharper at the rest of the picture (the sorroundings)

Sigma: Not sharper - perhaps a tiny bit lesser - than the Nikon D3x and the 50mm f/1.8G at the focus point and the area around, but sharper at the rest of the picture (the sorroundings)

What do you say, if we are really pixel peeping ?? - can the perhaps - and only sometimes - small/little front focus means something here, or has something happened with my taking the battery out ?

Not pixel-peeping= I am satiesfied with this Sigma DP2Merrill, the sharpness all over at f. 2.8 (100 metres distance) is really something + better colors than all the rest, and very natural looking colors

---

In fact it was Quentins tomato picture (and some of the others, of course at the same post= The very first post here) that first got my interest in this camera+ lens - could you please tell about the f. stop and shutter, and perhaps standard or natural and sharpening, and perhaps also the distance to the tomatos (appr.)THANKS
    Last edited by Kyndel; 29th January 2013 at 12:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, i think we should not "pixel peep" to much here and run into senseless and endless competitions.
    It is perfect to use different cameras.
    Most of the time i know which tool is the right one for the task.

Sadly weather is so bad, i can not go out to have fun photographing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Sigma should pay me commission...
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin, They still didn't pay you? Shame....

Post Thanks / Like

Sharpness is but one of the many things that make the DP2M look what it is. Compare it to any camera you like, it's just got a look all it's own.

Post Thanks / Like

It must be said that this Oly combination is incredibly sharp - sharper than a similar test I have done with the famous Nikon 200mm VR F.2.0

I am fully aware that it is not the exact way to compare these two things - one is 150mm and the other is 45mm ('s equivalent), so it's not a fair test, but I had to try anyway

Sigma DP2Merrill is really sharp enough and I am very happy with it, but it got better sharpness with USM 30-7-3 .... or High Pass, pixel 1 radius and overlay (Nikon NX2 after conversion to TIFF), not both, as I would normally use as default, and then sometimes put it down, for example with Oly combination.

(the sharpening I do is for print - normally A3+)

-----

Camera shake, shutter speed, iso, raw converter for the Foveon file (SPP is the one to use), oversharpened Oly jpegs, examples? If your Oly produces really sharper images the Merrill on a comparable basis, then your Sigma must be a lemon and should be replaced.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like a lot of people in this thread owning a DP2M has completely put me off other digital cameras. I've never seen such detail in digital captures. I can't afford a digital MF system which might be an improvement over the DP2M but the results out of my DP2M blow all other APS-C and full frame 35mm digital systems I have owned out of the water. Especially my m43rds system.

If they can crack the poor performance at high iso...
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Like a lot of people in this thread owning a DP2M has completely put me off other digital cameras. I've never seen such detail in digital captures. I can't afford a digital MF system which might be an improvement over the DP2M but the results out of my DP2M blow all other APS-C and full frame 35mm digital systems I have owned out of the water. Especially my m43rds system.

Louis, you can rest easy. Even if you did own a digital MF system, you would be just as besotted with the Sigma.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valka View Post
    If your camera formatted the card OK on second try, I don't see why you should be worried. I had the same problem and my card is working nicely (although better speed would be nice )
    My wild guess about formatting problems is that the first time you format the card in camera, it has "NO NAME" name. Whet the camera starts to format, it renames the card to "Sigma DP2M" and starts to format card. I think that the problem lies in some bug somewhere between naming and formatting (camera trying to format card "NO NAME" but actually has card "Sigma DP2M") because the second time you try to format the card it already has correct name and formatting succeeds. Just my wild guess

valka
    I think this sounds plausible - I fired some shots, and the next time the formatting went well in seconds.

I am not worrying about the card, only the camera, because they warns about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Camera shake, shutter speed, iso, raw converter for the Foveon file (SPP is the one to use), oversharpened Oly jpegs, examples? If your Oly produces really sharper images the Merrill on a comparable basis, then your Sigma must be a lemon and should be replaced.
    Of course I did it the proper way with support for the camera, high(fast) shutterspeed, iso 100, used SPP for the Sigma, and no sharpening either with the Oly, and both in RAW converted to Tiff.

....otherwise it would not give any meaning.

But the center area is as it is - fine, but not better than the other mentioned, more right to say a bit less sharper (exept for the 28.s), but I also compared with some of the sharpest combinations I have, while the rest (the sorroundings) of the picture/frame is sharper than all with the Sigma, and the colors beat them all.

Perhaps - as mentioned - my copy has a slight front focus ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted to photograph this window for some time now, but as usual there are always cars in front of the door. Not this time.
    First day out after terrible weather, snow, rain and storm and a nasty flew.

I like the origami style lettering here made out of the same triangles. (I think this shop hasn't been changed since 1948)

Michiel

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel:
    Very nice "News", as always fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey! I went away from my PC after posting the above and when I returned a few hours later - 6 likes. Must have said something right, for once!

LouisB
    -----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And this traiteur had to stop his business.
    A typical 'ton sur ton" facade, which is perfect for my greedy Foveon sensor

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

My modest contribution for this epic thread !! (Guys your are masters, damn great photos over here).

Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 31st January 2013 at 23:42.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another one but in colour :

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does the DP2M allow multiple exposures or Photoshop?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Does the DP2M allow multiple exposures or Photoshop?
    I thought the same - if the camera can do this ? (as Nikon cameras can and now also some Canons) - or you have to go to photoshop? ( I like it in-camera)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Do you ask if my photo is a multiple exposure photo out of photoshop ?

The answer is no. This is a single shoot out of the DP2m.

Here is a test shoot :
    Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 1st February 2013 at 07:29.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think the DP2M can do ME - here is an example (in-camera,, this is not HDR, that is another thing):

Multiple Exposures - Portrait on Nikon D7000 - a photo on Flickriver

and another:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/6...431e0384_h.jpg

+

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7038/6...713feae8_h.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ok, you speak about this feature. No the DP2m do not do that

Post Thanks / Like

Fire a flash in a 'strobe' mode? It's really cool! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

strobe flash?

Post Thanks / Like

Multiple flash??

Post Thanks / Like

@pophoto
    "Multiple strobe posts"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
    Creative photo Hulyss, thanks for sharing!

Also, an FYI for Kyndel, lots of cameras can do multiple exposures in-camera, not just Nikon. My Pentax DSLR's have had that feature for 10+ years...
    I can say for sure, that you are 100 % wrong here.

The Nikons.....the old D200, The D700, the D3, the D3S, the D3X, The D7000 and some more can all do multiple exposure.

Perhaps you are mixing it up with direct in-camera HDR ( in jpg)??(a lot of people do mix this up)

If so, some Nikon can do this also, the first that could that was Nikon D5100, but that is NOT multiple exposure.

Please look at post 1379

---

The famous Tony Sweet has a course in ME

---

Canon has just started with this feature (ME) last year (I think) - I do not know if they had it in their top pro bodies, but do not think so

---

But Pentax has done in-camera HDR in many years and does it good, but that is another story.

--

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/double-...phy-tutorials/

Post Thanks / Like

Some more photo then

The first one is at 800 ISO and it was a direct JPEG, the second one is at 100 ISO f3.2 (the sweet-spot in bokeh on the DP2m) and the third is at 1000 ISO (raw, this time).

I promise I will do more colour once I get my DP3m early March.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilvan View Post

100% wrong, really?

Anyway, this is getting off-topic so if you want to discuss this further just PM me.
    Now I understand this lack of communication:

You wrote:
    "Also, an FYI for Kyndel, lots of cameras can do multiple exposures in-camera, not just Nikon. My Pentax DSLR's have had that feature for 10+ years."

Your words "not just Nikon" confused me, because I have never thought that, but I read - I think it was last year - that Canon also started with it.

I knew others have had it for many years, and we also had it for film, so it is old, just pointed out this about Canon, if anybody was interested, because some Canon users was not happy they missed it.

I have never - ever - thought/or written Nikon was the only one, so there you are= The reason for the misunderstanding was a little story you made

Post Thanks / Like

Hulyss Bowman, that is very masterful work. Thanks for posting.

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

Hulyss Bowman, that is very masterful work. Thanks for posting.

LouisB
    Thanks for the kind word Louis

Post Thanks / Like

New to this forum.

A wise man said one could become "besotted" with the DP2 Merrill. I certainly am....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A long gone workplace at 14.00 hours for ever.

Michiel

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Beutifull pictures, mezzoduomo, fantastic clear colors in the last.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The "Prinsengrachtkerk" from two sides. From tonight.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Michael

What was the ISO on these two great shots?

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Long exposure, 100 ISO on a mini tripod.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

I should use the DP2M more.

Shot over a fence (a swivel LCD would be so nice)

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beutifull pictures, mezzoduomo, fantastic clear colors in the last.
    I thank you, Kyndel.

Post Thanks / Like

We had the first really sunny day of the year here in the southern part of England so I spent the day in and around the South Downs area of Hampshire/West Sussex. In truth my main weapon of choice was my Hasselblad MF film camera but I now have the habit of taking the DP2M as a 'second body'.

"Through the trees" above Chalton

11th Century Saxon Church,St Hubert's in the field at Idsworth - I know from looking at the frame at 100% that the post is collected each day at 4PM and 8AM on Saturdays

Interior of St Hubert's containing an 11th century wall painting depicting the the Dance of Salome and the beheading of John the Baptist.

An unusual feature of Idsworth is that occasionally a tributary of the Lavant rises and floods through the field below the church.

(Through my car windscreen) the river actually takes the course of the road for about half a mile.
    -----
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, biglouis, really.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post