Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 350 of 2795

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

  1. #301
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Here is some answer from Phase One (asking them if they would include the DP1m + DP2M in their C1)
    "Thorkil, Thank you. The additional information is very much appreciated.
    We hope we can meet your request in a future version of Capture One software"
    So I'm just hoping.
    Thorkil

  2. #302
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Just unbelievable!

    Quentin, how is the (color) noise when shooting long exposure in low light on a tripod?
    I don't know how dark it was in your nice cathedral shots and how long you exposed, but those looked great.

    Michiel
    Michiel,

    The Cathedral shots were a few seconds. Biggest issue was some greenish corners that required a bit if post processing work in PS6 to remove, otherwise OK on noise.

    I rezzed up a shot I took in London recently to 60mp equivalent last night. It waa a particularly sharp and detailed shot, and I swear it looked as good (or close enough not to matter) as a shot from my Hasselblad H4D-50.

    However generallly I am a bit fanatical about removing excessive noise because I sell quite a lot of work for stock and that is a requirement of the libraries. I have built standard Neat Image profiles for 100, 200, 400 and 800 ISO and will run them at a moderate level on most images. It does not remove useful detail.

    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  3. #303
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Hi Uwe

    Can this hood be attached to the camera securely or is it a case of holding both up together and hoping not to drop one (or both) of them?

    Lee

  4. #304
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Hi Uwe

    Can this hood be attached to the camera securely or is it a case of holding both up together and hoping not to drop one (or both) of them?

    Lee
    I hold both but both are attached to my neck so no danger.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  5. #305
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Well for better or worse I have order a DP2 Merrill today from WEX.

    Largely as a result of looking at the results here and elsewhere on the web. Plus the Luminous Landscapes review.

    Don't know when I will get it but I may end up competing with Mr Bargate but at the Whitechapel end of Shoreditch.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #306
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Hi

    for those of you, who also use Fuji xpro1 and X100, how would you rate/describe the image quality of the DP2M against them from ISO 100-800?

    And how about this 3D effect compared to each other?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #307
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    3,914
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Michiel,

    The Cathedral shots were a few seconds. Biggest issue was some greenish corners that required a bit if post processing work in PS6 to remove, otherwise OK on noise.

    I rezzed up a shot I took in London recently to 60mp equivalent last night. It waa a particularly sharp and detailed shot, and I swear it looked as good (or close enough not to matter) as a shot from my Hasselblad H4D-50.

    However generallly I am a bit fanatical about removing excessive noise because I sell quite a lot of work for stock and that is a requirement of the libraries. I have built standard Neat Image profiles for 100, 200, 400 and 800 ISO and will run them at a moderate level on most images. It does not remove useful detail.

    Quentin
    Thanks Quentin! ( An evening/night shot example is most welcome )

    I just ordered the DP2 Merrill with hood from Sigma Benelux. I thought in the end the 30mm is a little more versatile then 19mm to start with.
    No idea how long it will take. I tested some files in my downloaded SP.

    I thought if Louis is that fast why should I keep on drooling

    Michiel
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #308
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    I managed to process a few raws from the DP2M this afternoon using SPP 5.3.2, in between the frequent crashes. Can't wait for RD support for the DP2M. SPP would be more tolerable if they could fix this instability issue on Macs.

    A couple of detail shots.

    Myrtle & Spider silk

    FULL SIZE

    Rotting sycamore log

    FULL SIZE

    A high contrast backlit scene.

    FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #309
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  10. #310
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Carl those delicate, sharp green leaves make me drool.
    Do you have a hoya r72 you can stick in front for ir?
    That could be so cool!
    Antara

  11. #311
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    Hi

    for those of you, who also use Fuji xpro1 and X100, how would you rate/describe the image quality of the DP2M against them from ISO 100-800?

    And how about this 3D effect compared to each other?
    I had both the X100 and XP1, but they were sold before I got the DP2M so no current comparisons. However, here are two shots first with the Fuji XP1 taken a few months ago with the Contax G 45mm and a shot of the same scene taken today with the DP2M. The Fujis produce lovely color and excel at high ISO, but do not come close to the resolution of the DP2M at base ISO. I think that is pretty much true of most current 16-24 MP small format cameras, compared to the DP2M.

    Fuji XP1

    FULL SIZE

    Sigma DP2M

    FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #312
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Well for better or worse I have order a DP2 Merrill today from WEX.

    Largely as a result of looking at the results here and elsewhere on the web. Plus the Luminous Landscapes review.

    Don't know when I will get it but I may end up competing with Mr Bargate but at the Whitechapel end of Shoreditch.

    LouisB
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Thanks Quentin! ( An evening/night shot example is most welcome )

    I just ordered the DP2 Merrill with hood from Sigma Benelux. I thought in the end the 30mm is a little more versatile then 19mm to start with.
    No idea how long it will take. I tested some files in my downloaded SP.

    I thought if Louis is that fast why should I keep on drooling

    Michiel
    Congrats Louis and Michiel and I'm looking forward to seeing your work with this little marvel.
    Carl
    Gallery

  13. #313
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by antara View Post
    Carl those delicate, sharp green leaves make me drool.
    Do you have a hoya r72 you can stick in front for ir?
    That could be so cool!
    Antara
    I already tried with no success. IR blocking is just too efficient.
    Carl
    Gallery

  14. #314
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Well for better or worse I have order a DP2 Merrill today from WEX.

    Largely as a result of looking at the results here and elsewhere on the web. Plus the Luminous Landscapes review.

    Don't know when I will get it but I may end up competing with Mr Bargate but at the Whitechapel end of Shoreditch.

    LouisB
    You'll love the DP2M

    Do you ever frequent the Hasselblad Studio up near Hoxton Square?
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  15. #315
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    OK, the new DP2 firmware has a cool new feature, setting ISO sensitivity on 1/3 steps, and with Auto ISO you can now set upper and lower limits. That makes auto ISO more useful. I have set lower at 100 and higher at 500. AND the autofocus is faster in low light.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  16. #316
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    You'll love the DP2M

    Do you ever frequent the Hasselblad Studio up near Hoxton Square?
    Quentin

    Nope. Never had a reason to go. And as it says in the sub-forum, I would have to 'abandon all hope' if I ever entered there!

    LouisB

  17. #317
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I had both the X100 and XP1, but they were sold before I got the DP2M so no current comparisons. However, here are two shots first with the Fuji XP1 taken a few months ago with the Contax G 45mm and a shot of the same scene taken today with the DP2M. The Fujis produce lovely color and excel at high ISO, but do not come close to the resolution of the DP2M at base ISO. I think that is pretty much true of most current 16-24 MP small format cameras, compared to the DP2M.
    Hi Carl

    Did you mean to post two Fuji shots? Does not even RPP processed Fuji come close?

    Lee

  18. #318
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I had both the X100 and XP1, but they were sold before I got the DP2M so no current comparisons. However, here are two shots first with the Fuji XP1 taken a few months ago with the Contax G 45mm and a shot of the same scene taken today with the DP2M. The Fujis produce lovely color and excel at high ISO, but do not come close to the resolution of the DP2M at base ISO. I think that is pretty much true of most current 16-24 MP small format cameras, compared to the DP2M.
    I print 95% of the time not bigger than what my Epson 2400 can print (A3+). So resolution is not my main concern.

    I find the X100 and Xpro a very interesting system.

    But this clarity and 3D effect of these Sigma images is what I am after. Reminds me of film.

    Can any system (Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Ricoh GXR etc.) compete in this area with the DP2M?

  19. #319
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    I print 95% of the time not bigger than what my Epson 2400 can print (A3+). So resolution is not my main concern.

    I find the X100 and Xpro a very interesting system.

    But this clarity and 3D effect of these Sigma images is what I am after. Reminds me of film.

    Can any system (Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Ricoh GXR etc.) compete in this area with the DP2M?
    I don't think the D800E can compete with what I see of the DP2M(and the DP1M hopefully), so I might sell the E. The E lacks the 3D-feeling and crispness which is outspelled in the Merrills.
    And the GXR 28 and M-modul can't compete either, from what I see here(but those are my working horses and I like Ricoh too for handling and general IQ). The DP might be for the subtle things, but I would like to see how it handle being used in a more "careless" way, moving etc.
    No, I don't think there is a competing system to the DP1/2M's, as Quentin claims too, unless you step up to Hasselblad and perhaps with the Zeiss-lenses then (but they have difficulties being put down in your pocket and the drain in your bank is in another leque too)
    Thorkil

  20. #320
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    I print 95% of the time not bigger than what my Epson 2400 can print (A3+). So resolution is not my main concern.

    I find the X100 and Xpro a very interesting system.

    But this clarity and 3D effect of these Sigma images is what I am after. Reminds me of film.

    Can any system (Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Ricoh GXR etc.) compete in this area with the DP2M?
    Oh dear. People here are saying that this little marvel is giving almost medium format quality in a small, portable and bargain-priced package, as long as one is disciplined.

    There is more than resolution and details though. Other parameters that we consider in the chase to ultimate IQ include DR, colour accuracy and lack of noise etc.

    Could the Merrill owners comment on this?

    I can't keep up. Seems like every 6 months or so something 'revolutionary' comes along. I don't plan on ditching my X-Pro system yet and will probably wait until the Spring until considering the Merrill...

    Lee

  21. #321
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Lee, I totally aggree that patience is a worthfully skill in this claiming-sensation-head-turning-world. "Magic" seems to turn up at every corner.
    But I have a strong feeling that I could live with just a DP1M + the GXR (just wish a full-frame M-module would turn up soon for the wide M-lenses) + a GRD in the real pocket. And leave the DSLR-market for good.
    Thorkil

  22. #322
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Thanks for all the info and images Quentin!

    What a remarkable little camera.

    Would it not be mind-bending if some MF company conspired and made a Foven MF sensor camera?

    -Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #323
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    3,914
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Lee, I totally aggree that patience is a worthfully skill in this claiming-sensation-head-turning-world. "Magic" seems to turn up at every corner.
    But I have a strong feeling that I could live with just a DP1M + the GXR (just wish a full-frame M-module would turn up soon for the wide M-lenses) + a GRD in the real pocket. And leave the DSLR-market for good.
    Thorkil
    Thorkil, I am in the same boat getting filled up with little cameras. Love the Ricoh as well; your wish is my command. -Ricoh make that full frame M module right now-!
    The NEX-7 still get used a lot. Ideal camera for an alt lens collection.
    I am waiting for my DP2 M to see what I can do with it. I hope for you that the 19mm version lens is as good.

    Michiel

  24. #324
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Thorkil, I am in the same boat getting filled up with little cameras. Love the Ricoh as well; your wish is my command. -Ricoh make that full frame M module right now-!
    The NEX-7 still get used a lot. Ideal camera for an alt lens collection.
    I am waiting for my DP2 M to see what I can do with it. I hope for you that the 19mm version lens is as good.

    Michiel
    Yes that would be nice! If I leave Nikon I will badly miss the 15mm Voigtländer on a Full-frame to go wide enough inside and outside buildings.
    I was about getting tempted by the RX100 but happily kept my hands in the pockets(not that it doesn't seems to be extraordinary good, but we are loaded with extraordinary things all the time...and they just might lack that edge...after 6 month...that keep on inspiring us to keep on going out in the real life with that friendly connection that will have to be the fundament). And there the Sigma+Ricoh-way might be the final solution for my part.
    Thorkil

  25. #325
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Hi Carl

    Did you mean to post two Fuji shots? Does not even RPP processed Fuji come close?

    Lee
    Lee,

    I'm not sure what you mean by two Fuji shots. I posted one shot from the XP1 and another from the DP2M. RPP certainly helped with XP1 processing, but still can't match the acutance and fine detail resolution from the DP2M.
    Carl
    Gallery

  26. #326
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Lee,

    I'm not sure what you mean by two Fuji shots. I posted one shot from the XP1 and another from the DP2M. RPP certainly helped with XP1 processing, but still can't match the acutance and fine detail resolution from the DP2M.
    Carl

    No probs - it was too early in the morning and I mis-read the post. I am continuing to watch closely and look forward to seeing more images from you Merrill owners.

    Best wishes
    Lee

  27. #327
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Thanks for all the info and images Quentin!

    What a remarkable little camera.

    Would it not be mind-bending if some MF company conspired and made a Foven MF sensor camera?

    -Marc
    Indeed it would. But it won't happen, sadly. At least not for a long time.

    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  28. #328
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    DP2M monochrome. An SEP2 B&W "full dynamic range" conversion, split toned in LR4.1.


    LARGER IMAGE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #329
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Thanks for all the info and images Quentin!

    What a remarkable little camera.

    Would it not be mind-bending if some MF company conspired and made a Foven MF sensor camera?

    -Marc
    I agree, if it especially suited to capturing immense detail in low ISO situations... a dream at least!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  30. #330
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Old Meter

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #331
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Old Meter
    ]
    Very nice image. I love the detail in these grungy old meters. There was an old gas meter on an abandoned house that I used to shoot, but unfortunately the utility company recently removed the meter so I need to scout around for another.
    Carl
    Gallery

  32. #332
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Old Meter

    Nice Texture.

    PS: I would crop off the pipes on the right though.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  33. #333
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Nice Texture.

    PS: I would crop off the pipes on the right though.
    Agreed. This old meter is in Cannes in the south of France - downside is I am not on my regular computer (so a tad less editing and attention to detail until I get back home), but the upside is it is sunny and warm

    This is a business trip...

    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  34. #334
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Cannes Door

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #335
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    A few handheld snaps taken today down near the Farmers Market. Auto ISO (100-400) in A mode.

    Fresh flowers

    FULL SIZE
    Onions

    FULL SIZE
    Hot peppers

    FULL SIZE
    Sweet peppers

    FULL SIZE
    Waterfront trail from market to park, Cornell campus on horizon

    FULL SIZE
    Sewage treatment plant on other side of fence in previous image, first time I've seen corner magenta shift on the DP2M

    FULL SIZE
    Last edited by scho; 15th September 2012 at 13:25. Reason: add text
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #336
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Hi Carl

    Thanks, keep them coming. My initial feelings about the Merrill images are somewhat mixed. That last one has fantastic detail but is this at the expense of some noise/grain? I see a lot of that in the second to last shot. Have you boosted the shadows? Oh, it's very fine 'grain' but is there, nonetheless. How much it matters, I don't know.

    Some other samples I have seen do have great detail but are rendered how I might call 'thinly', like the lines have been sketched in with a very fine pen. Maybe this is just the sharpness that I am seeing and am not used to from other cameras.

    Anyway, great shots and thanks for sharing those full size images!

    Lee

  37. #337
    raulb
    Guest

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    This thread has been a revelation. Some of the shots are spectacular. The samples here, at clubsnap and the flickr dp2m merill pool single this sensor out. The foveon does seem to bring an extreme sharpness and clarity to the images, and you begin to miss it in other cameras.

    I am about to put an order for this and wanted to get some feedback and opinion on 'people' shots. There are very few samples online, and those that are look a bit ordinary, with none of the 'magic' you see in landscape and architecture.

    Would there be a reason for this or is it just that not enough folks have got their hands on the camera yet.

  38. #338
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Hi Carl

    Thanks, keep them coming. My initial feelings about the Merrill images are somewhat mixed. That last one has fantastic detail but is this at the expense of some noise/grain? I see a lot of that in the second to last shot. Have you boosted the shadows? Oh, it's very fine 'grain' but is there, nonetheless. How much it matters, I don't know.

    Some other samples I have seen do have great detail but are rendered how I might call 'thinly', like the lines have been sketched in with a very fine pen. Maybe this is just the sharpness that I am seeing and am not used to from other cameras.

    Anyway, great shots and thanks for sharing those full size images!

    Lee
    Hi Lee,

    This was my first "free wheeling" walk about with the DP2M, so no tripod and I wasn't being careful with exposure, etc. - just quick snaps and then later seeing what I could recover. The indoor market shots were poorly lit and outdoors unsettled and overcast. The last two shots were badly under exposed in the foreground and yes, I did pull up the shadows.
    Carl
    Gallery

  39. #339
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Hi Lee,

    This was my first "free wheeling" walk about with the DP2M, so no tripod and I wasn't being careful with exposure, etc. - just quick snaps and then later seeing what I could recover. The indoor market shots were poorly lit and outdoors unsettled and overcast. The last two shots were badly under exposed in the foreground and yes, I did pull up the shadows.
    Hi Carl

    Thanks for the update. Most of your latest batch were taken at ISO 200 or 250 and not particularly long time exposures. So, what I gather from info on this camera is that for the very best results you need to use ISO 100 and the better the light the better the result? That, in itself is not a problem - after all, back in film days I often used to shoot slide film at ISO 50 (actually rated at 40), 64 etc and rarely went higher than 100! It wasn't that long ago that ISO 400 on digital would be considered noisy. I guess we have become spoilt in recent years by the apparent noiseless 'wonder sensors' such as those in the Pentax K5, Fuji X100 and X-Pro etc, though I wonder if that isn't often some sort of in-camera trickery that reduces noise and in the process just mushes detail, even in RAW. (As an aside, wouldn't it be good if cameras had an option 'best detail' versus 'least noise').

    In some threads, it may even be this one, I have seen some advice to expose for the shadows and then recover the highlights in SPP, which is counter-intuitive - how far can you go with this approach?

    Best wishes
    Lee

    UPDATE: Carl, I have clicked through to look at the many shots you have in your pbase gallery taken with the Merrill - fantastic stuff! Most of them are noise-free and also taken at ISO 50 or 100. So it does look like the lower ISOs bring out the true potential of the camera ...
    Last edited by Sapphie; 16th September 2012 at 04:22.

  40. #340
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Cannes Door
    Very nice and raw pictures, Quentin!(just keep on going!)
    Thorkil

  41. #341
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Hi Carl

    Thanks for the update. Most of your latest batch were taken at ISO 200 or 250 and not particularly long time exposures. So, what I gather from info on this camera is that for the very best results you need to use ISO 100 and the better the light the better the result? That, in itself is not a problem - after all, back in film days I often used to shoot slide film at ISO 50 (actually rated at 40), 64 etc and rarely went higher than 100! It wasn't that long ago that ISO 400 on digital would be considered noisy. I guess we have become spoilt in recent years by the apparent noiseless 'wonder sensors' such as those in the Pentax K5, Fuji X100 and X-Pro etc, though I wonder if that isn't often some sort of in-camera trickery that reduces noise and in the process just mushes detail, even in RAW. (As an aside, wouldn't it be good if cameras had an option 'best detail' versus 'least noise').

    In some threads, it may even be this one, I have seen some advice to expose for the shadows and then recover the highlights in SPP, which is counter-intuitive - how far can you go with this approach?

    Best wishes
    Lee

    UPDATE: Carl, I have clicked through to look at the many shots you have in your pbase gallery taken with the Merrill - fantastic stuff! Most of them are noise-free and also taken at ISO 50 or 100. So it does look like the lower ISOs bring out the true potential of the camera ...
    Lee,

    I bought the Merrills with the intention of using them primarily for landscape work, basically shooting at ISO 100 on a tripod. The last series of shots was just a casual excursion, getting a feel for shooting handheld at higher ISO. I think with a bit more care with exposure and PP it would be fine in this mode as well. I used the accessory optical viewfinder and it was fine, as long as you don't need precise framing. The ISO 50 shots were taken with my old DP2S that I used about two years ago.

    Best regards,
    Carl
    Carl
    Gallery

  42. #342
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Engineering

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #343
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Evening Shops (ISO500, 1/60 sec @ F/2.8)

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #344
    Member jminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NW Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Last fall I sold all my digital cameras & lenses with the single exception of the Ricoh GRD. *I'd hit the wall so to speak and felt my photography was going nowhere. *This spring the GRD snapped its last. *As the year went by I started seeing photographs, not in a gallery but out in the world. *I'd be driving along and look out at the passing landscape and "boom" a perfectly framed picture met my eye. *This started to happen more often. *A distant treeline with looming storm clouds, a half dead tree, a pattern of shadows on the lawn, ships in the harbor. *Photographs were everywhere! *So it's time to get back to it. *I love landscapes, and enjoy finding new things to photograph in old familiar places as well as exploring new locations. *I've had the nagging suspicion that I'd only be truly happy shooting landscapes with a large format camera. *After reading this article on the Large Format Photography site,

    A closer look at a large format photo

    That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do. *I enjoy looking at crops of my landscapes and finding things I hadn't noticed when I took the picture. *What a pleasant surprise to find this is possible a non conventional compact DP 2 Merrill. *I realize there is a big difference between the Merrill's output and a 4 x 5 sheet of film. But this small digital camera may be close enough for me. *After viewing Quentin Bargate's *(and others) photos and reading Mr. Reichmann's review I was sold. *And To get the most of what a practiced hand can produce with this camera I will take the advice of Mike Johnston of The Online Photograper fame, and work with this one camera, one lens, combo for a year to see what can be done with the DP 2 Merrill.
    John
    Last edited by jminor; 16th September 2012 at 10:03.
    I Sing The Camera Electric....
    Ricoh GR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #345
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    Last fall I sold all my digital cameras & lenses with the single exception of the Ricoh GRD. *I'd hit the wall so to speak and felt my photography was going nowhere. *This spring the GRD snapped its last. *As the year went by I started seeing photographs, not in a gallery but out in the world. *I'd be driving along and look out at the passing landscape and "boom" a perfectly framed picture met my eye. *This started to happen more often. *A distant treeline with looming storm clouds, a half dead tree, a pattern of shadows on the lawn, ships in the harbor. *Photographs were everywhere! *So it's time to get back to it. *I love landscapes, and enjoy finding new things to photograph in old familiar places as well as exploring new locations. *I've had the nagging suspicion that I'd only be truly happy shooting landscapes with a large format camera. *After reading this article on the Large Format Photography site,

    A closer look at a large format photo

    That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do. *I enjoy looking at crops of my landscapes and finding things I hadn't noticed when I took the picture. *What a pleasant surprise to find this is possible a non conventional compact DP 2 Merrill. *I realize there is a big difference between the Merrill's output and a 4 x 5 sheet of film. But this small digital camera may be close enough for me. *After viewing Quentin Bargate's *(and others) photos and reading Mr. Reichmann's review I was sold. *And To get the most of what a practiced hand can produce with this camera I will take Mike Johnston of The Online Photograper fame, and work with this one camera, one lens, combo for a year to see what can be done with the DP 2 Merrill.
    John
    Hi John

    I'm a pretty difficult guy to please. I used to shoot large format film, 5x4 and 10x8 occasionally and now shoot with a Hasselblad H4D-50 which is broadly equivalent to 4x5 film (there are no exact comparisons of course, between such different technologies as digital medium format and film). I also have several other (too many!) cameras that come and go.

    Which in a sense is why the DP2M is such a surprise. So much more that I had expected, and better. Perfect? No, it has faults but it is very capable and at its best, able to come close (better be careful here...) to the Hasselblad. Possibly it is even better in some areas. Its completely ridiculous in such a compact, boring looking camera, but I know what I see and it is my "go to" camera for a lot of work. I just love using it...all the time!
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #346
    Member jminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NW Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Hello Quentin,
    I've enjoyed your DP 2 Merrill photos and realize this camera requires patience & experience to get the best from it and am looking forward to working with the camera. Your "Evening Shops" above is a perfect example of a very nice photo you're not supposed to be able to get from this camera, if you were to listen to the naysayers.
    I Sing The Camera Electric....
    Ricoh GR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

  47. #347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Evening Shops (ISO500, 1/60 sec @ F/2.8)

    Splendid!, was it handheld? And something particularly done about noisereduction?
    Thorkil

  48. #348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    Last fall I sold all my digital cameras & lenses with the single exception of the Ricoh GRD. *I'd hit the wall so to speak and felt my photography was going nowhere. *This spring the GRD snapped its last. *As the year went by I started seeing photographs, not in a gallery but out in the world. *I'd be driving along and look out at the passing landscape and "boom" a perfectly framed picture met my eye. *This started to happen more often. *A distant treeline with looming storm clouds, a half dead tree, a pattern of shadows on the lawn, ships in the harbor. *Photographs were everywhere! *So it's time to get back to it. *I love landscapes, and enjoy finding new things to photograph in old familiar places as well as exploring new locations. *I've had the nagging suspicion that I'd only be truly happy shooting landscapes with a large format camera. *After reading this article on the Large Format Photography site,

    A closer look at a large format photo

    That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do. *I enjoy looking at crops of my landscapes and finding things I hadn't noticed when I took the picture. *What a pleasant surprise to find this is possible a non conventional compact DP 2 Merrill. *I realize there is a big difference between the Merrill's output and a 4 x 5 sheet of film. But this small digital camera may be close enough for me. *After viewing Quentin Bargate's *(and others) photos and reading Mr. Reichmann's review I was sold. *And To get the most of what a practiced hand can produce with this camera I will take the advice of Mike Johnston of The Online Photograper fame, and work with this one camera, one lens, combo for a year to see what can be done with the DP 2 Merrill.
    John
    Very nice words and statement!! it just fits in my niche.
    Thorkil

  49. #349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    Last fall I sold all my digital cameras & lenses with the single exception of the Ricoh GRD. *I'd hit the wall so to speak and felt my photography was going nowhere. *This spring the GRD snapped its last. *As the year went by I started seeing photographs, not in a gallery but out in the world. *I'd be driving along and look out at the passing landscape and "boom" a perfectly framed picture met my eye. *This started to happen more often. *A distant treeline with looming storm clouds, a half dead tree, a pattern of shadows on the lawn, ships in the harbor. *Photographs were everywhere! *So it's time to get back to it. *I love landscapes, and enjoy finding new things to photograph in old familiar places as well as exploring new locations. *I've had the nagging suspicion that I'd only be truly happy shooting landscapes with a large format camera. *After reading this article on the Large Format Photography site,

    A closer look at a large format photo

    That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do. *I enjoy looking at crops of my landscapes and finding things I hadn't noticed when I took the picture. *What a pleasant surprise to find this is possible a non conventional compact DP 2 Merrill. *I realize there is a big difference between the Merrill's output and a 4 x 5 sheet of film. But this small digital camera may be close enough for me. *After viewing Quentin Bargate's *(and others) photos and reading Mr. Reichmann's review I was sold. *And To get the most of what a practiced hand can produce with this camera I will take the advice of Mike Johnston of The Online Photograper fame, and work with this one camera, one lens, combo for a year to see what can be done with the DP 2 Merrill.
    John
    John

    Fantastic post, if I could give you multiple 'likes' I would.

    Lee

  50. #350
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    Hello Quentin,
    I've enjoyed your DP 2 Merrill photos and realize this camera requires patience & experience to get the best from it and am looking forward to working with the camera. Your "Evening Shops" above is a perfect example of a very nice photo you're not supposed to be able to get from this camera, if you were to listen to the naysayers.
    I am not a naysayer but I do suspect some 'trickery' or at the very least 'we don't notice at this size image via the web'.

    I want to get to like something like this camera, believe me, but I don't want tob believe it is the 'be all and end all' and then to be dissapointed.

    Lee

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •