The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

biglouis

^^^ Excellent ^^^

Well worth looking at on Flickr at full screen size, or full size. This is where any Sigma DP really shines. I suspect you'd have to be using a MF camera to get anywhere close to the IQ at 100%

LouisB

furtle

^^^ Excellent ^^^

Well worth looking at on Flickr at full screen size, or full size. This is where any Sigma DP really shines. I suspect you'd have to be using a MF camera to get anywhere close to the IQ at 100%

LouisB
Thank you for your kind words. It's been a tricky journey with the dp0Q. By the way, that shot was grabbed, hand held. I was belting along and screeched to a halt in a farmers gateway. The dp0Q is a unique and great camera. A classic, to use an over used term

biglouis

The DP0Q remains the most precocious, erratic, fickle, annoying and unpredictable camera that ever produced a fine photograph that makes you want to keep it rather than toss it in the bin. Is there a cure?

TN Args

The DP0Q remains the most precocious, erratic, fickle, annoying and unpredictable camera that ever produced a fine photograph that makes you want to keep it rather than toss it in the bin. Is there a cure?
Let me know if you find the cure. I am still afflicted.

DP0Q1510_SPP_SH-2_Cloudy_EXP+0.7.jpg

furtle

That's the best review I've read for the dp0 Quattro. Short, accurate and to the point. Many camera scribblers could learn a lot from that. Oh, you know the answer. Perhaps you could start a therapy group?

biglouis

That's the best review I've read for the dp0 Quattro. Short, accurate and to the point. Many camera scribblers could learn a lot from that. Oh, you know the answer. Perhaps you could start a therapy group?
Written when I was depressed about a set of photos I had taken with the DP0Q which were bad, then processed the Pie Shop photo which was good. The only camera which has a split personality. Dammit.

Another two from Royal College Street in Camden Town, on an afternoon when the camera worked well. If anyone can explain why one day it produces trash and the next day pearls I would love to hear it.

Stoneage

"..precocious, erratic, fickle, annoying and unpredictable camera..."
Is there a cure?
If anyone can explain why one day it produces trash and the next day pearls I would love to hear it.
You forgot "ugly" ;)

My explanation (rant): The Quattro cameras have a very limited comfort zone. They always try to make "happy, colorful and sharp postcards" and then they fail if the conditions are not perfect or the dynamic range exceeds 5-6 stops.
My DP0Q also always wanted to be in the range of F4 to maximum F8. I don't know why, but F11 with the Quattros look bad.

biglouis

You forgot "ugly" ;)

My explanation (rant): The Quattro cameras have a very limited comfort zone. They always try to make "happy, colorful and sharp postcards" and then they fail if the conditions are not perfect or the dynamic range exceeds 5-6 stops.
My DP0Q also always wanted to be in the range of F4 to maximum F8. I don't know why, but F11 with the Quattros look bad.
Above f8 I find the Quattro suffers terribly from diffraction. Mushy, horrible photos. In fact the sweet spot really is f4 and maybe f5.6.

LouisB

TN Args

Paddock near Hamley Bridge

DP0Q1236-Sep2016-2.jpg
Processed in SPP 6.4.1 Monochrome​

Back to monochrome -- hope that's not too boring. :angel:

agfa100

Well you all have given me a lot to think about, I am getting ready to borrow a DP-0 from a friend this weekend and having been someone who only used a SD-9 and SD-14. I think I will get my old Sekonic studio deluxe Incident light meter out and see if that helps with the blowing out the highlights issue.

What if any is the recommended version of SPP I should use with the DP-0, any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
wbill

Last edited:

biglouis

Well you all have given me a lot to think about, I am getting ready to borrow a DP-0 from a friend this weekend and having been someone who only used a SD-9 and SD-14. I think I will get my old Sekonic studio deluxe Incident light meter out and see if that helps with the blowing out the highlights issue.

What if any is the recommended version of SPP I should use with the DP-0, any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
wbill
On balance, I can't recommend the DP0Q.

I can recommend you try it and enjoy getting the most out of it. But it is not a camera for a casual user and it has frustrated the hell out of me. I don't think I am in the minority here.

Once again I raise my eyes to the heavens and ask "Why oh why, Sigma, did you not stick with the Merrill sensor?????".

My DP2M and DP3M have never frustrated me. OK, you can't shoot above iso400 but at least you can go above iso100.

But each to his own and it is an individual decision which should not be influenced by the meanderings of someone else.

LouisB