Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 197

Thread: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

  1. #1
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    There is a gallery of sample of images from the DP0 Quattro now available

    SIGMA dp0 Quattro | *式会社シグマ
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I have something against inconsistency and, with Sigma, we fall right in it.

    So, since day one when I got the DP2Q for test I seen a change, and not a good change. Every month or so, you can objectively see that the DP popularity is vanishing in the air like Martian atmosphere.

    On LuLa, it is dead. Here, it is almost dead. On DPR we reach new levels of mediocrity and propaganda every day. In France it is dead (since day one of Quattro). In china it is almost invisible, so dead. In Russia it started to be coherent but it is dead today...

    Now come the DP0Q, awkward moment for an awkward item, bundled with the LVF-01 for the same price as the DP3Q (at least in Europe). That mean, 2 months after launch, that some ppl will get this finder for free while other bought it plain price, reaching 1160 € for a DP + finder.

    DP0Q = 949 WITH viewfinder.

    SPP will never cure the noise in the top layer (because there is noise at base ISO in the blue channel, the only channel who should be noise free ...). As I said it is structural / physical, not software tweakable.

    On the lens side, SIGMA do well BUT I start to smell that the wow factor is going to an end. needed a new 50, tested the SIGMA and others and went out with the Nikon 50 f1.8 BECAUSE it is light, quick, very very sharp, perfectly compatible and weather sealed (for 130 €......).

    I fail to understand why the apple felt so far from the tree, despite the appearances.

    The old "pragmatic" user base went from total revelation to total deception and this is VISIBLE all around the world via forums. People are not happy with this products and, sadly, we can't really work around on certain features to cure that (like we did with the Merril line).
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh

  3. #3
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Hulyss

    I'm impressed by Sigma's lens line. No longer are they only purchased by those who cannot afford marque lenses. In many cases they are better than marque, but at a lower price.

    They also innovate. They have just announced an F/2, 24-35mm wide-angle zoom, for example. Of course, there will be marque lenses that are better, or lighter, but that is no longer the norm. They are genuine alternatives to Marque lenses in quality as well as in price. Sigma have transformed themselves for the better.

    With regard to the Quattro's, the major issue for me has been unpredictable highlight clipping. Nonetheless, I'd like to test a DP0Q.

    The Merrills still have a lot of life in them, and I use mine as my main cameras.

    I agree the excitement and anticipation has largely gone with the Quattros. A clever idea let down by an apparently inferior sensor design. Still, one hopes Sigma are paying attention and will react accordingly.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  4. #4
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    There is a gallery of sample of images from the DP0 Quattro now available
    The distortion control is impressive for a 21mm equivalent lens.
    Too bad Merrill line didn't get the lens.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Still, one hopes Sigma are paying attention and will react accordingly.
    The new sigma lens line is very good but not finished, IMO. Weather selling for outdoor shoots in every conditions, or at least a rubber band on the mount... even sony do it. It is also not light, at all, and I see a lot of ppl "calibrating" the lenses (I never had to do it yet with Nikon lenses).

    I stay pragmatic.

    So I hope SIGMA pay attention and stop what they started lately : wrongly positioned marketing.

    I remember what was SIGMA by the time of the DP2 and I see what is SIGMA now, few years later : The evolution have good sides but also a lot of fails.

    SIGMA used to be more discrete, more refined, more about Art and emotions. Now it is ALL about business.

    When the Merrills was launched it was just fantastic. A real event, real results, some little flaws but still... a big wow all around the world. All of this because of this original discretion and modesty.

    This is gone.

    SIGMA used to be, for photography, what Tenkara is to fly fishing (I'm fishing Tenkara). Now SIGMA is fly fishing.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I agree with Quentin, the biggest problem with the Quattro is the highlight clipping. I feel they could maybe control it better with new firmware for the camera and some better post processing. It really is too bad that Sigma cannot be more like Fuji and update the cameras and improve them with better firmware and hardware control. There is some potential for the cameras. I am vaguely interested in the Dp0 Quattro. I have the DP2Q and DP3 Merril. There has been some improvement with SPP but I would like to see more. For me it is a love/hate relationship, maybe if there was more third party raw support things might change. I sure do hope the Sigma looks at any of these threads and forums. Some much potential but not enough realization...

    Alan
    Alan Smallbone
    Orange County, CA
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aps-photo/

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    The distortion control is impressive for a 21mm equivalent lens.
    Too bad Merrill line didn't get the lens.
    Yes my initial thoughts about the lens quality. Something I'd hoped for and they appear to have delivered. Certainly impressed me enough to give the purchase od a Dp0 some serious thought.

  8. #8
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I think I can fairly claim to be a consistent Sigma DPxM supporter.

    So, I've checked out the images and... ahem... I am a bit underwhelmed.

    Normally, with a Sigma image there is a certain factor. I call it the FM factor. You open a photo up and your first thought is f... me, that is fantastic!

    These have blow highlights, oof edges which I am worried are smeary rather than oof and the detailed areas are for the first time no better and in some cases worse than my A7R when I use it with the CV Ultron 21mm.

    I open these samples up and my first thought is: good, I can spend the money elsewhere.

    I will await Quentin's samples and anticipate they will blow me away (I hope).

    BTW, I am not trolling but I would be interested to know which samples do wow people.

    LouisB

    AMENDED: OK, I went back and looked again at the samples. In fact I think they are now better than my original judgement. I so want this to be a good camera - for me 21mm is a staple angle of view and a good Sigma camera might make up for having to let my Hasselblad SWC go (too tired of film workflow).

    Hopefully we will see more samples in the coming days or weeks.

    LouisB
    Last edited by biglouis; 24th June 2015 at 15:04.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Some look good on miniature but I regret downloading it.

    Which samples do wow people on this link ?

    Sample Photo Gallery | SIGMA DP2s : Special Contents

    Remember those samples are only 5MP.

    So SIGMA: take the same pixel pitch, same chip structure and scale it to 24x36 working with your own lenses. I promise I'll buy it.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I have asked Sigma to let me test the camera. I doubt I will get a favorable response, even though those close to them accept I helped boost sales for the Merrills when I started the first thread on the DP2M here in late 2012.

    Some of the sample shots I have seen for the DP0 Quattro are, in my opinion, execrable - not representative of the sort of work the camera was presumably designed for.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I think we all know the shortcomings of Quattro. After a few updates (Firmware/SPP) i see some minor improvements regarding how very bright lights clip. (slightly improved "roll off" of highlights) and maybe a bit less green/magenta color blotching in grey areas, but the main issues, or the main character of Quattro is still there and will not change anymore, i'm sure. So we have the fine sand noise and the highlight clipping, and some other things that i don't like.
    My main interest in the DP0Q is the lens, and after seeing the samples i think the lens is good (better than DP1m/q) So i still can hope for a good wide angle lens for my SD1.

  12. #12
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I have asked Sigma to let me test the camera. I doubt I will get a favorable response, even though those close to them accept I helped boost sales for the Merrills when I started the first thread on the DP2M here in late 2012.

    Some of the sample shots I have seen for the DP0 Quattro are, in my opinion, execrable - not representative of the sort of work the camera was presumably designed for.
    They ought to give you one for free, Quentin! You have single-handedly kept most of the threads here going.

    I only wish they would incorporate end-user feedback into their designs. Then we'd have our holy-grail, the full frame DP.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Pink bales of haylage! Who'd of thunk it? This was taken at 1/250 at f14 and I think it's got camera shake. It was really windy and I was being buffeted about. This is developed in SPP6.3 at -1.0 sharpness. the noise reduction backed fully off and I used the Landscape colour mode which made the image in SPP look really saturated, so, I backed off a bit in Lightroom and that was the only adjustment in LR. I'm still experimenting as using a 21mm equiv focal length is very unfamiliar to me.

    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    ^^^ It would be great to see the image somewhat larger ^^^^

    Thanks for posting.

    LouisB

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I went out looking for a sunset which failed to happen but got this instead.

    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I have asked Sigma to let me test the camera. I doubt I will get a favorable response, even though those close to them accept I helped boost sales for the Merrills when I started the first thread on the DP2M here in late 2012.

    Some of the sample shots I have seen for the DP0 Quattro are, in my opinion, execrable - not representative of the sort of work the camera was presumably designed for.
    Quentin

    Companies are weird and stupid. I was frustrated recently by the poor test images from a famous lens manufacturer taken in London by someone who was not a resident, even of this country. I pointed out to them that as I knew London like the back of my hand I could take their lenses to places that would create powerful, compelling images (as indeed you could, as well). As expected, no response. Instead they'd rather have someone whose knowledge of London extends to tired landmarks shot on overcast days as a way of selling their product. Ho hum.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    A couple more 'snaps' from the Q0. Honington, Warwickshire. I think the colours are a bit better than the Merrills and I've done nothing to them in SPP or LR nor any lens adjustments. There is no questioning the sharpness of the lens. The lower photo is the 21:9 in-camera crop which is such a great feature; this is my new Xpan!

    I do think camera shake is something I need to take great care about, even at up to 1/200th. It really isn't helpful holding the camera, with such a long lens, out in front of you just to be able to squint at the screen. I'll look for an optical view finder which will go some way to resolving this issue. Not the loupe as I don't need that and it looks bloody weird. I'm definitely keeping this camera and the great thing is, I'm still learning.



    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Andrew

    Your results are improving with use so my original reaction - not to your skill, I hasten to add but to the image quality - is moderating.

    The bridge and the electricity pylon are a bit more like it.

    It would still be good to see these larger.

    Do you have a Flickr account?

    LouisB

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Hello Loius

    Tis me, Steven, posting the DP0Q photos. The camera is a learning curve for me on many levels, so, I'm pleased to read your comments. I do have a Flickr account here https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll

    You'll have to excuse a lot of photos I dump on there for family etc to see.

    I'm uploading a couple of DP0Q .x3f files for you to download and play with; the recent photos of the pylon and the bridge. I would be interested in your opinion.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Wonderful shots Steven. I have been on the fence for this camera for a long time, fighting the urge to get it. I have a DP2Q and a DP3m, already. There are some really nice shots in the flickr pool with the DP0Q that really having me wanting one:
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma-dp0-quattro/pool/

    I also read a review today on Sean Reid's site(subscription site) about the 0Q, he rates the lens very high, with very little aberration.

    Alan
    Alan Smallbone
    Orange County, CA
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aps-photo/

  22. #22
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Good to see some high quality shots from the DP0. So much better than the dross served up by Sigma.

    Pity it may be too little, too late.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  23. #23
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Sigma USA has added the DP0 Quattro with LVF viewfinder kit to their store for $1099, so they are putting in the viewfinder for about half price.

    Alan
    Alan Smallbone
    Orange County, CA
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aps-photo/

  24. #24
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    First shots with the DP0Q which despite my hesitation my will power finally acceded to on Thursday. I have the camera in time to give it a thorough thrashing along the back roads of Spitalfields and then the South Coast over the next two weeks. I will attempt to write a review once I have done that.

    First impressions: IQ = 10, Ergonomics = 5. No one ever said shooting with a Sigma compact was easy... Sean Reid is correct - this lens is powerfully sharp from edge to edge even at f4.

    DP0Q-->SPP 6.3 export full sized TIFF to LR-->export as resized jpeg

    f4, iso200 - focussed on the 'keep clear' sign on the door.



    Click here for a full size jpeg exported from SPP 6.3 (4MB file).

    I think if you look at the elephant's head in the bas relief above the door you cannot but be impressed at the performance at f4. I also have a comparison shot taken with my A7R and 21/1.8 Ultron at the same aperture, iso and speed and it is softer.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    Here are the .x3f files from the DP0Q
    Thank you for the RAWs, always appreciated.
    The colors and the lens look very good in my opinion.
    The "bridge" shows blown highlights even with -0.7 exposure correction. That's still the weak point of Quattro.
    As mentioned in another thread, Kalpanika-converter handles the highlights better. SPP overexposure correction setting helps also, but produces colored artifacts.
    I wish Sigma will release this 14mm (21mm) lens for the SD1.

  26. #26
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Norton Folgate Alms Houses, Spitalfields, London

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    A few more. Still learning the Q0's ways. I've started bracketing -0.7, 0, +0.7 but setting the exposure compensation at -0.3. So, the bracketing is -1.0, -0.3, +0.3. It seems all of the -1.0 photos are the best and need the least work in SPP.

    Great cookshop!



    Banbury market



    Canal boat mayhem in Banbury with a 21:9 in camera crop



    A wonderful orchard that I have photographed before.

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Great shots!

    Some samples I have seen from Qs seem quite noisy even at low ISO, e.g. in the sky area. Have you had that experience? With the Merrills we became used to slight overexposure then reducing exposure and boosting fill light to make good shadows.

    Looks like Q's need a more accurate exposure to prevent highlights blowing?

    Lee

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Great shots!

    Some samples I have seen from Qs seem quite noisy even at low ISO, e.g. in the sky area. Have you had that experience? With the Merrills we became used to slight overexposure then reducing exposure and boosting fill light to make good shadows.

    Looks like Q's need a more accurate exposure to prevent highlights blowing?

    Lee

    Hi Lee,

    Thanks. The only Quattro I have is the DP0, so, cannot compare with the other Qs. Without a doubt, compared with the Merrills, it is easy to blow the highlights on the Quattro. In fact, there is a highlight warning that can be switched on which will warn of over exposure when you review the shots but I don't really bother to look at anything I've shot on the camera screen; if it's in the can, it's in the can.

    As far as noise is concerned, with the Q I am now trying SPP Sharpness at -1.0. For noise reduction I set Luminance in the centre and Chroma at the far left but to be honest I haven't a clue what I'm doing with these!

    I use LR to adjust the tiff files and add a touch of noise reduction and no sharpening. This seems to sort out the 'grain' in the sky.

    I think from this post, you will get the message that I'm only on the foothills for the learning curve....

    Steve
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Thanks Steve.

    Well good luck and I hope you enjoy it and do keep us updated on progress! I have the DP2M. I went mad and bought all three but then found I wasn't making the most use of them and kept having angst about which one to use, so sold the DP1M and DP3M to satisfy some GAS for the Fuji X100T. Looking on here again recently has re-kindled some love for the DP2M so I am taking it to *sunny* Cornwall for a fortnight. The DP0Q does entice but I have the 14mm lens for my X-Pro 1, so can't justify it at the moment.

    Lee

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    Hi Lee,

    Thanks. The only Quattro I have is the DP0, so, cannot compare with the other Qs. Without a doubt, compared with the Merrills, it is easy to blow the highlights on the Quattro. In fact, there is a highlight warning that can be switched on which will warn of over exposure when you review the shots but I don't really bother to look at anything I've shot on the camera screen; if it's in the can, it's in the can.

    As far as noise is concerned, with the Q I am now trying SPP Sharpness at -1.0. For noise reduction I set Luminance in the centre and Chroma at the far left but to be honest I haven't a clue what I'm doing with these!

    I use LR to adjust the tiff files and add a touch of noise reduction and no sharpening. This seems to sort out the 'grain' in the sky.

    I think from this post, you will get the message that I'm only on the foothills for the learning curve....

    Steve

  31. #31
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    I changed my mind about the DP0 Q. I still hate the shape of this camera but I find it is the best Quattro performance to date. Sand noise almost non existent, great sharpness across the whole frame (unlike the DP1Q), a bit less DR than a Merrill but yet, the lens itself merit a price.

    That said I have some faith revival (!) into the brand when Kasuto Yamaki speak. Hope this is not only PR, especially about the next DP/SD.

    http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/08/27...aki-ceo-sigma/
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #32
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    A couple more 'snaps' from the Q0. Honington, Warwickshire. I think the colours are a bit better than the Merrills and I've done nothing to them in SPP or LR nor any lens adjustments. There is no questioning the sharpness of the lens. The lower photo is the 21:9 in-camera crop which is such a great feature; this is my new Xpan!

    I do think camera shake is something I need to take great care about, even at up to 1/200th. It really isn't helpful holding the camera, with such a long lens, out in front of you just to be able to squint at the screen. I'll look for an optical view finder which will go some way to resolving this issue. Not the loupe as I don't need that and it looks bloody weird. I'm definitely keeping this camera and the great thing is, I'm still learning.



    Honington! Wow. I used to have friends there and visited it regularly thirty years ago. Blimey

    Anyway, nice photos. Congrats!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Today, I deliberately decided to take some photos with the DP0Q in very tricky light conditions. I got even more aggressive with the bracketing and most of the following shots are at -1.7. The car, the church lych gate and the windmill have me and the camera in deep shade. The lych gate shot I was in a really gloomy spot and cranked the iso to 400 and handheld the shot at 1/60 f4. With this shot, the church was badly blown as this was in sun but I played around on SPP and got it pretty good but it is still pale. The car is under a mix of deep shade and bright sun with plenty of potential for highlights to blow. But the camera has made the wheels look a bit oval! See what you think but I'm pleased with the camera.

    Honington Church Lych Gate



    Alfa Giulietta



    Compton Wynyates Windmill



    A couple of others in good light:





    And another pylon



    And this is the church in the first photo

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Bellville, TX, USA
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    Today, I deliberately decided to take some photos with the DP0Q in very tricky light conditions.

    And another pylon

    I'm curious about the blues in your sky shots. According to RawTherapee on a couple of downloads, the hues are around 210 degs (cyan) which is OK but the saturation is generally over 99% which seems a bit fierce. And the brightness of the blues is only around 50% in the upper parts of the images, perhaps signifying a pretty heavy use of contrast in-camera or in post?

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I'm curious about the blues in your sky shots. According to RawTherapee on a couple of downloads, the hues are around 210 degs (cyan) which is OK but the saturation is generally over 99% which seems a bit fierce. And the brightness of the blues is only around 50% in the upper parts of the images, perhaps signifying a pretty heavy use of contrast in-camera or in post?
    hello Xpatusa, yep, I agree, the blues are mighty blue. I've done nothing to then in LR or SPP. The camera is on daylight white balance for these latest pics and this does seem to saturate the colours much more than AWB; which I have always used before. dunno, I just tend to shoot and look at the images later on.

    I used -1.7 exposure in most of these shots and it makes the camera review and SPP thumbnails look really, really dark but when SPP develops the files, all is good; even with SPP at 0 or -0.3 (say) exposure.

    There is more to this camera than, at first, meets the eye. I don't think I'm close to finding it's potential.

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    That's a bit weird, though, i.e. -1.7 in-camera, expectedly the images would look dark for camera review bit then SPP is OK with no tweaks or just -0.3?

    Lee

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    hello Xpatusa, yep, I agree, the blues are mighty blue. I've done nothing to then in LR or SPP. The camera is on daylight white balance for these latest pics and this does seem to saturate the colours much more than AWB; which I have always used before. dunno, I just tend to shoot and look at the images later on.

    I used -1.7 exposure in most of these shots and it makes the camera review and SPP thumbnails look really, really dark but when SPP develops the files, all is good; even with SPP at 0 or -0.3 (say) exposure.

    There is more to this camera than, at first, meets the eye. I don't think I'm close to finding it's potential.

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Bellville, TX, USA
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    hello Xpatusa, yep, I agree, the blues are mighty blue. I've done nothing to then in LR or SPP. The camera is on daylight white balance for these latest pics and this does seem to saturate the colours much more than AWB; which I have always used before. dunno, I just tend to shoot and look at the images later on.

    I used -1.7 exposure in most of these shots and it makes the camera review and SPP thumbnails look really, really dark but when SPP develops the files, all is good; even with SPP at 0 or -0.3 (say) exposure.

    There is more to this camera than, at first, meets the eye. I don't think I'm close to finding it's potential.
    Hi furtle, I don't have a Quattro but, when I bought a Merrill, I noticed that the picture setting for the in-cam JPEGs (sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc) came up on the sliders even if I only shot and opened a X3F but you've probably already noticed that, eh?

    Ted

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Hi furtle, I don't have a Quattro but, when I bought a Merrill, I noticed that the picture setting for the in-cam JPEGs (sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc) came up on the sliders even if I only shot and opened a X3F but you've probably already noticed that, eh?

    Ted
    I'm not sure I understand you. If it's about in cam jpegs; I've never done these.

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Here you go Ted. I've looked closer at the LR controls and dropped the blue saturation from zero and increase the blue luminance. Not really sure what I'm doing but here is the photo again

    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  40. #40
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    I used -1.7 exposure in most of these shots and it makes the camera review and SPP thumbnails look really, really dark but when SPP develops the files, all is good; even with SPP at 0 or -0.3 (say) exposure.
    Why are you shooting at -1.7? Did the histogram (before the -1.7 adjustment) blow-off the right side? If not, try shooting bracketed with -.3, 0, +.3 and -.7, 0, and +.7 to see what the sensor captures. I'd be interested in seeing the brackets if you are up to it.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Bellville, TX, USA
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    I'm not sure I understand you. If it's about in cam jpegs; I've never done these.
    Sorry, ! didn't mean that you did or did not use JPEGs.

    In the Quattro, are there settings for in-camera JPEGs like "vivid", "standard", etc? Are you able to go to each setting and adjust it to your liking? When you open a new Quattro X3F in SPP are the SPP adjustment sliders all zero? If the sliders are not at zero, do you leave them alone or do you set them all to zero and start from there?

    The only point I was really trying to make is that the Quattro might, at as-new default settings, apply more saturation and contrast than some would like when first opening in SPP.

    best regards,

    Ted

  42. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Why are you shooting at -1.7? Did the histogram (before the -1.7 adjustment) blow-off the right side? If not, try shooting bracketed with -.3, 0, +.3 and -.7, 0, and +.7 to see what the sensor captures. I'd be interested in seeing the brackets if you are up to it.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Hello Darr,

    I deliberately went out to take photos in very tricky light; the lych gate is a perfect example. I set the camera bracketing to -1, 0, +1 and then set the camera exposure compensation to -0.7. So, I have a set of shots -1.7, -0.7 and +0.3

    With lych gate and car, I had no blown highlights at -1.7 and could recover the underexposed. I suppose, I feel it is possible to recover the under exposed areas but not recover any blown highlights.

    The rest of the photos were also developed at either 1.7 or -0.7. The pylon and ruined barn were at -0.7.

    Sorry, I didn't use the camera histogram.

    Still experimenting. I try and post a link to the raw brackets shots for you to look at. Probably on Monday.

    Thanks

    Steve

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Sorry, ! didn't mean that you did or did not use JPEGs.

    In the Quattro, are there settings for in-camera JPEGs like "vivid", "standard", etc? Are you able to go to each setting and adjust it to your liking? When you open a new Quattro X3F in SPP are the SPP adjustment sliders all zero? If the sliders are not at zero, do you leave them alone or do you set them all to zero and start from there?

    The only point I was really trying to make is that the Quattro might, at as-new default settings, apply more saturation and contrast than some would like when first opening in SPP.

    best regards,

    Ted
    Hello Ted,

    ok, I get it now. I'll check later, probably Monday.

    Steve
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  43. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Some urban shots from last week and yesterday. Working with the DP0Q reminds me a bit of the SD15. It's easy to blow highlights, but if you get it right, there is a richness in those files, and with the cameras high resolution i was able to shift the perspective of the first shot in photoshop and still have more pixels left than with the Merrill.
    Sand noise is dramatically reduced, especially with portrait color mode. I find all other color modes to be "broken" and over processed, trying to fake the Merrill micro contrast and doing weird things to the reds.
    So my settings are mostly: portrait mode, luminance NR to the left (off) and chroma in the middle. If you switch chroma NR off, there could be color blotching in some parts of the image.
    Bracketing is always a good idea and very good implemented (same as with the DP Merrills) So, some of these shots are HDR or manually combined exposures in photoshop. It depends on the situation. If this camera had a 14 stops DR, it would be a dream. But we have to live with what we get. Still, i find it a very impressive camera.







    Last edited by Stoneage; 30th August 2015 at 02:40.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #44
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage View Post
    Some urban shots from last week and yesterday. Working with the DP0Q reminds me a bit of the SD15. It's easy to blow highlights, but if you get it right, there is a richness in those files, and with the cameras high resolution i was able to shift the perspective of the first shot in photoshop and still have more pixels left than with the Merrill.
    Sand noise is dramatically reduced, especially with portrait color mode. I find all other color modes to be "broken" and over processed, trying to fake the Merrill micro contrast and doing weird things to the reds.
    So my settings are mostly: portrait mode, luminance NR to the left (off) and chroma in the middle. If you switch chroma NR off, there could be color blotching in some parts of the image.
    Bracketing is always a good idea and very good implemented (same as with the DP Merrills) So, some of these shots are HDR or manually combined exposures in photoshop. It depends on the situation. If this camera had a 14 stops DR, it would be a dream. But we have to live with what we get. Still, i find it a very impressive camera.
    What does Portrait Mode do/change? I do not have a Quattro (rented a Q2 time back), but I am interested in possibly obtaining the Q0, and currently in the researching stage. I appreciate your post findings very much.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  45. #45
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    What does Portrait Mode do/change? I do not have a Quattro (rented a Q2 time back), but I am interested in possibly obtaining the Q0, and currently in the researching stage. I appreciate your post findings very much.
    Kind regards,
    Darr

    If it is like the SD15, some "modes" are simply broken. The SD15 was giving the best in "neutral" mode. Standard/vivid was just unusable without minus exposure comp by a huge amount, and again, colors were just not good in those modes. My guess is that it is the same for this Q and the sweet spot is "portrait". Here is a raw to download out of my SD15 just switch mode and you'll see by yourself. Sigma oddity. SD15+50f1.4EX

    http://www.hulyssbowman.com/Savings/SDIM1788.X3F

    That mean that only neutral mode was able to suck the maximum out of a SD15 raw. I have thousands of examples with whatever lenses, it is the same.

    And NO, Quattro sensor and output have nothing in common with pre-Merrill Sensor and output, whatever the so called unknown specialists might say. I shoot every Sigma camera since 2009 and just laughed when I seen it; I do not remember where. I still prefer, so far, rendering of pre-Merrill X3 than the Quattro.

    That said, the Dp0Q output the best than other Quattro, a bit like the DP3m outputted the best rendering of the 3 Merrills.

    If someone need the olds SPP to try it out let me know. I have them all.
    Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 30th August 2015 at 04:26. Reason: SPP
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  46. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    What does Portrait Mode do/change? I do not have a Quattro (rented a Q2 time back), but I am interested in possibly obtaining the Q0, and currently in the researching stage. I appreciate your post findings very much.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Portrait mode is more flat and looks even "soft" compared to the other color modes, but it doesn't have less detail.
    Other color modes are very hard/harsh on pixel level. Sigma clearly wanted to improve micro contrast after lots of complaints from the users when the first Quattro images were available. But in my opinion it is not really working.
    So it's not only a color thing but looks like a different processing.
    Here is a sample of Quattro standard color mode versus Kalpanika. Portrait color mode looks similar to Kalpanika rendering. Or at least something in between.
    You can see how over processed and dirty the reds are, even the wires in front of the red doors are shining red.

    Last edited by Stoneage; 30th August 2015 at 09:37.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #47
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Used the DP0Q quite a lot last week on my hols. I will post some more as and when I get round to processing them. I like the way you can mask the LCD for different aspect ratios. 1:1 is reminiscent of my dear departed Hasselblad SWC.

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I like the way you can mask the LCD for different aspect ratios. 1:1 is reminiscent of my dear departed Hasselblad SWC.
    I'm with you on this. The 21:9 ratio is the same as the Hasselblad Xpan which is a ratio that works so well for some shots. I think of the Q0 as my digital Xpan.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    I'm with you on this. The 21:9 ratio is the same as the Hasselblad Xpan which is a ratio that works so well for some shots. I think of the Q0 as my digital Xpan.
    Interesting because I think of it as my digital SWC. Sigma definitely got some things right with this camera.

    LouisB

  50. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

    More urban shots from Zurich, Switzerland...



    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •