The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD2 weird behavior

trisberg

I'm experimenting with my new GRD2 and trying various configurations and noticed some strange behavior. When I turn the display off and try to use the Fn button to set MF or SNAP mode, sometimes the info/symbol display overlay doesn't turn on. If I take a picture or push the menu button a couple of times the info display wakes up again. I've only seen this indoors where the light is dim.

These are my settings:

Menu:
Info Displ. "On"
Function Button "AF/MF" or "AF/SNAP"

Mode "A" (don't think this matters)

These are the steps to reproduce this:
-Try this indoors
-Press DISP until picture display is off
-Turn camera off
-Turn camera on
-Point camera at dark area of the room or a dark object
-Half-press shutter to initiate focusing
-Push any button that would turn on the info display like Fn button to switch focus mode or aperture wheel

At this point the info display should come on, but it doesn't if I have tried to focus in a dimly lit room. All I see is the faint backlight of the display. If I take a picture the display goes back to normal behavior again.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Strange indeed.

I'd appreciate any feedback so I can determine if I should send the camera in to have it fixed.

Thanks,
Thomas

fordfanjpn

With my camera if the display is off, then the Fn key and aperture wheel do nothing. I can take a picture, and the image will display for a few seconds, but then it turns off again and the buttons don't work at all unless I turn the display back on. It appears that with the display turned off, the button functions are also turned off, probably to prevent you from unknowingly changing settings.

Bill

trisberg

If you go into the configuration menus and set Info Displ. "On" then you should be able to use the buttons even when the display is turned off.

Thomas

sizifo

Don't think this is quite the same. But I've noticed that it sometimes happens the display works but displays no info, no matter what, until a photo is taken or camera rebooted. I think this is tied in with Info Displ. being on. It is some kind of bug for sure.

C

Caer

I just tried it on mine and I get the same thing, but only when the camera is in AF mode first.

So:
Set Info Display to ON.
Press DISP until the sceen turns off.
Press Fn until the camera is in AF mode.
Try to focus on something in the dark.

After this, no info will show on the screen at all until you either take a photo, or turn the camera off then on again. Notice also that the AF-assist beam didn't come on when you tried to take the first photo (assuming you've got it enabled).

It also seems this only happens right after you switch the camera on in shooting mode.

trisberg

Andy, thanks for the feedback. This confirms that it's not just my camera. I suspect its a software issue.

I happens right after I turn on the camera, and you're right that it should be in AF mode.

I have the AF assist light disabled. Usually the first thing I change on a new camera :)

I have been able to get the display back by half-pressing the shutter button without taking a picture and then pushing the menu button.

Thomas