The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a7R shutter vibration test

GrahamB

To satisfy myself, I performed a test with my a7R and several lenses. I taped 2 US bank notes to a foam-core board, and taped that to the wall. I illuminated the notes with an incandescent 100 watt soft white bulb from the left.

From a distance of 5-7 feet (depending on lens), I mounted a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro (alpha mount), and Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G (at 200mm) to the Sony IL-EA3 adapter.

I used a Desmond L Plate DAL-1 universal arca compatible plate on the adapter to secure the camera on a RRS BH-55 with pro (screw) clamp, which was installed on a Gitzo 3541LS, with 3 leg sections extended.

I used the Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control to actuate the shutter.

I shot the 70-200 mounted both with the lens collar, and using the L plate on the adapter.

I shot the images at f4, and using shutter speeds from 1/250s to 1/30s, at 1/3s intervals. The images were shot in raw, and processed in LR 5.3 (final). I cropped the center of the images to a 4x5 aspect ratio, equalized the white balance and exposure, but used no sharpening.

Cutting to the chase, I see little evidence of shutter induced vibration at any shutter speed.

Graham

a7r Sony 70-200G at 200mm f/4 1/250s (using lens collar)

a7r Sony 70-200G at 200mm f/4 1/80s (using lens collar)

Complete set of 70-200G at 200mm f/4 (using lens collar)
Zenfolio | Graham Best | a7r 70-200 collar

Complete set of 70-200G at 200mm f/4 (using adapter L plate)
Zenfolio | Graham Best | a7r test

Complete set of Tamron 90mm macro f/4
Zenfolio | Graham Best | a7r Tamron 90 marcro test

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for doing these tests, Graham! However, I don't think the images you posted are terribly useful because you haven't sharpened them. Could you perhaps post some samples sharpened with the following settings?

Amount: 60
Radius: 0.7
Detail: 70
Masking: 0

That would be great!

Last edited:

mark1958

I know i raised some issues about shutter shake/vibration
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49569-shutter-shake-macro.html
when taking some macro shots. I really found that for the heavy 200mm AIS NIKKOR micro/macro lens--- there was a much better result using the adaptor foot vs the lens foot as my tripod mount. I also confirmed that i got very good results using the Nikon 100mm macro lens with the adapter foot mount. I also did not have a dedicated foot for that macro lens. I have not yet tested my Nikon 70-200/4 lens but plan to do so as well.

vjbelle

May I suggest that you shoot something/anything at a longer distance. I suggest a good solid tree trunk at around 50 or 60 feet. Then..... please shoot at 1/60, 1/80, 1/100 and post that. I am convinced that closer distances - other than macro - mitigate this issue.

Victor