The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mysterious A7r Rear screen damage

craigosh

Recently picked up a tidy used A7r and took it away to Spain with me the other week.
I took it out of its bag one day and noticed these marks on the rear screen, they weren't there when I received it or earlier in the holiday. I haven't dropped or knocked it, they aren't cracks. Kept it away from moisture as much as possible, put it down on tables gently and put it in the bag when I didn't want it out.

The only thing I can think is that it sat exposed to the sun one afternoon when I was out on the veranda. Was only 10-15mins exposure, I think, and I moved it as soon as I realized. I didn't notice any marks then and it wasn't hot, I remember checking. It was the next day I noticed them so thats what makes me think that the sun has maybe done something to the glue.

Any thoughts??

mjm6

Does it have a screen protector on it? That's what it looks like to me...

See if there is a plastic film screen protector on the screen. Go to the corner that has the bubbling and see if you can roll up a plastic layer with your fingernail. It shouldn't bee too strongly adhered. Don't force anything!

If it's under the glass layer, then it appears to be some delamination, and there is probably nothing economically viable to do about it, other than the do your best to ignore it.

---Michael

craigosh

No screen protector that I can see/feel, can't catch an edge.
So guessing its delamination. Would the sun have caused it? Happened quite suddenly it seems.

JMaher

I live in Florida and the camera is in the hot sun anytime I am outside. I have never experienced a similar problem.

Jim

rhern213

Mine has the same issue, but it wasn't from one day to the next, it happened slowly over time. Not sure what caused it, i'm in Miami and use it constantly in many different environments.

It's definitely some sort of delamination from the tint of the glass, but it's on the inner part, there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

craigosh

I had seen one on ebay where most of the bottom and sides of the screen where like this, so was conscious when I bought the camera not to get one with any signs of it.

I also thought I might have got something in the coating on the glass so tried sensor cleaning fluid on it but it didn't help.

Definitely quite a sudden change, I was playing with the camera the day before I noticed it, so would have seen something then.

Place I bought it from have a 6month warranty so might see what they say.

Bob Parsons

I think you will find that the A7, A7II and A7R do in fact have a factory installed screen protector with anti-reflection coating. If you look carefully at the edge of the screen using a magnifier you can see the edge of the protector inset from the screen edge by a fraction of a mm. I asked Sony about this and was told there wasn't a protector but ....
on my A7r and A7II you can clearly see it.

I'd suggest it's this which has become delaminated. I haven't tried removing it from my cameras, I just put a Giottos glass protector on top of the "existing" protector.

Bob.

V

Vivek

I had seen one on ebay where most of the bottom and sides of the screen where like this, so was conscious when I bought the camera not to get one with any signs of it.

I also thought I might have got something in the coating on the glass so tried sensor cleaning fluid on it but it didn't help.

Definitely quite a sudden change, I was playing with the camera the day before I noticed it, so would have seen something then.

Place I bought it from have a 6month warranty so might see what they say.
Not a good idea at all! It is plastic. Mild soap and a drop of water (avoiding the edges) would have been better.

Annna T

I have the same problem. But I'm accustomed to it and don't see it anymore. For me it isn't a problem as long as it just stay so. The marks are there since a few months. They don't seem to get worse. I have decided to keep the camera as is.

My camera fell once. But that isn't when the marks appeared; that was several weeks later. I noticed it once, but can't say whether it has been a sudden apparition, or whether it grew progressively.

pegelli

My NEX5 and a friend's NEX7 also have the same problem, even a lot worse then your example. Never seen it on a a7x though. No idea what caused it either.

craigosh

I'll live with it, just annoying as I've not had it a month yet?
Camera's been fab so far, really enjoying using some borrowed Leica glass on it.

Slingers

My NEX-7 has this, I believe it's the anti reflective coating that easily wears off. Only takes a little bit of friction to wear on the older cameras. With my A7S I put a screen protector on straight away and haven't had it happen to it.

mazor

As Slingers said, the marks is the anti reflective coating falling off. The only way to prevent this from happening is to apply a screen protector before this occurs, or apply TLc when using the camera.

craigosh

So could this happen from walking round with it on my shoulder? Brushing against a tshirt? I was walking around lots with it on my shoulder..... Retailers say they know its a common issue, but no indication of cause, so asked me to send it back for them to look at it. Hopefully it will be replaced and I'll stick a protector on it straight away.

V

Vivek

Take a tooth brush, half a drop of toothpaste, a drop of water and scrub the whole thing off (it does come off). Then add a protective cover (the variety that comes with its own anti reflective coating).

chiquita

I have the same problem since October, at first I thought it was a small scuff but it's spreading though not to the extent of yours, for now. I think it's some kind of manufacturing fault and they should address it by replacing these screens free.....

Annna T

I have to say that I can see these marks only when the LCD is spent and only if I look at it from an angle. So I don't find it too disturbing, as there is zero effect on the viewing of the image once the LCD is on. Of course, I would prefer if it wasn't there, especially if I want to sell it or to give it to some family folk or friend (geven the fact that I've never been good at reselling my gear). All this plead against an update to the A7rII. That plus the fact that I don't need more pixel than 36MB and don't want a heavier body (my Canon 6D is only 150gr. heavier).

craigosh

Well the dealer I bought it off has kindly offered to swap it over for me with another they have in stock, so I'll do that and get a protector for the screen this time.