The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

APY_JR

One from today with the 24-70mm.

I took quite a few shots today hoping to use Helicon Focus later but alas... the wind was so terrible I can't even post an HDR image worth presenting:(

Ah well... it was good to get out.

On top of the Grand Mesa, Whitewater Creek just before it goes over it's 200 ft. falls.

Albert

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Shelby,

miffed clients because they did not get it yesterday can be avoided by setting reasonable expectations in the first place. If they want you to perform towards a delivery deadline, there are two ways, you do it, and ad a premium, or you say you do not work this way and quality is your concern, not speed of delivery. I would think the latter is the better option, then again, I am no wedding chap.

I was asked the inevitable once, to shoot a silver wedding anniversary. I felt like a fool LOL.

Total strangers I never saw in my live were grinning into the lense as if they won the Lotto, or making dumb nut faces, expecting me to laugh?

Then of course, the inevitable phletora of people stuffing their faces.

No, I could not handle that, not even for money, and I refused being payed, and just gave them all photos for nothing, thanking them for the opportunity to learn a lesson. Never again will I do this for the rest of my life. - Lesson learned! - :)

As for your remarks on business, it might be wise to think about time-management, and invest into some external knowledge to be transfered to you in that respect. Just a loooong shot of course.... but I found in my time as a consultant that this is the most underestimated area where you can improve rapidly and make things easier on yourself.

Oh, btw, do refuse irish clients asking you to shoot their wedding at all costs. they will ask you to drink plenty of whiskey, and if you refuse you are in deep ****, but if accept and drink, you are in even deeper. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

APY_JR

A few from Friday's swim... the 70-300G and 135 f1.8 and Quantum QFlash T5D-R off camera.

I think I'm gonna run a family portrait special on "Pool Shots" the next few weeks and see what happens:)

Albert

wayne_s

Jono,
Nice B&W portraits of Margaret both of which captured different emotions very well.
Now if I could only get to take a picture of my english mom like this. She hates pictures taken of her now and will not let you take one. Very nice.

Shelby,
Great pictures as always! Can't be that bad doing a wedding with all those pretty bridesmaids. :) I really like the first shot and the first kissing bride-groom shot the best.
Looks like you got partially Uncle Bob-ed in the fourth shot, bride coming down the aisle.
Wondering on the groom and groomsmen in the field shot did you intentionally clip the clouds in the sky? Could you have taken two shots with auto-bracketing to quickly get a properly exposed sky shot which you could blend in with the other shot exposed for the men? I totally agree with you on the business part. Maybe your wife could handle most of that part?

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Georg... I wish I could find a fine Irish client that would allow me some fine Irish whiskey! I'm usually lucky to get water at these gigs. :ROTFL:

As far as time management... yeah, been there... and appreciate the words of advice. It's a long story, but this business has been lightning struck with bad personal luck (not stuff I'll go into on here), but I'm actually in a "Re-start" phase at this point. I'm not taking any new gigs (other than what's already on the books) for the next three weeks in an attempt to clean out the biz and start over. Have this majorly OCD gal coming over to re-organize my biz as well.

The good part is that I'm also an architect and have some steady part-time work doing renderings and presentation drawings for a small firm here locally... so I do have a small amount of steady income during these hard times which allows me to slow down and regroup.

Really looking forward to the next year though as I have some big opportunities on the horizon with some commercial and fine-art work (which I am way more suited to).

Ok... to keep this thread on topic.. as far as the sky shot. I was working totally alone the whole day (big wedding) so I'll be honest that i split the difference with the exposure. I underexposed the foreground some and in an attempt to keep the sky enough that I could bring back the blue even if the clouds would be hopelessly blown. The shot is pretty unrealistic anyway :D.

TBH... in the heat of the wedding, I wouldn't remember to use the bracketing function anyway, lol.

Uncle Bob was pretty nice guy though... and he felt bad when he got in my way (but he still got in my way :thumbdown:). I'm pretty sure he was a dear friend of the family so I played the nice guy mostly but didn't mind stepping on him a few times to get the shot if needed. I do love the thrill of shooting weddings.

A few more from yesterday in an attempt to stay on topic:

cheers all!
Shelby

MoJo

Registred Users
Darn, between Shelby's weddings, and Jono's chickens, i am really getting ready to overcome my fears of noise, and pull the trigger here on the sony. Your work is so inspiring!

-Josef Tornick

jonoslack

Jono... fantastic portrait. Love the "mid-key" b/w conversion and the ever so beautiful rendering of the 135/1.8 in your capable hands.
Thanks Shelby - I'm always tempted to go 'over the top' with conversions, but that seemed to be a moment for a little subtlety.

Drummer shot cracks me up... and I love it when I can find semi-directional light (is that possible?) like that. The rest of the shots look just like another day at the office for wedding photographers here state-side. Ughhh... (the lighting, not the shots)
Yes - it makes me grind my teeth a little - especially when you're told there will be lighting . . . and it all turns out to be purple :ROTFL:

I'm with Georg on the business side . . . how does it go?
UnderPromise and OverDeliver

Covers most things (I just wish I could stick to it myself!).

Albert those pictures are all wonderful - those girls are growing up!

Wayne - Margaret was desperately avoiding having her picture taken - there was a bit of larking about, and then I blatted off about 20 shots over half a minute or so.

APY_JR

Thanks Jono!

Yes they are... very quickly... the older one is shedding teeth like a winter coat:)

Thank you!

Albert

S

Shelby Lewis

Really nice Edward... is this with the 135 and a close-up lens (or just a crop?)? The bokeh is so smooth and consistent. It also appears that you've refined your post work a bit. Work that generally looks great is even better with this shot.