The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7Rii - is this a problem with IBIS?

pegelli

Was it a hot day? Could be atmospheric turbulence/disturbances. I don't think it's IBIS as it's getting worse when you get further from the camera. An IBIS problem would be everywhere the same in the frame.

GlenC

Was it a hot day? Could be atmospheric turbulence/disturbances. I don't think it's IBIS as it's getting worse when you get further from the camera. An IBIS problem would be everywhere the same in the frame.
It was in the mid 70's. I noticed a distortion near the foreground with the right-side track, just past the water bottle, it seems to go up and down a little.

Annna T

Was there not some smokes floating around ? When I look at the end of the rails I can very dark/black ground and the trees behind this are completely OOF, much more OOF than what is standing further away. If there were warm/hot fumes, that could explain what succeeded further in front : air turbulences. Just a thought. That spot where the rails end is just as curious as the deformed rails (although less spectacular).

pegelli

First verify it's not a track maintenance problem.
I think that explains the problem in the foreground. It's also very different then what you see in the background due to hot air turbulence (or heat shimmer/smoke, whatever)

mjm6

May not be, but it looks like heat shimmer to me.

Try to duplicate the same shooting conditions (camera and lens settings), and see if it occurs again. I suspect you will find that everything is OK, except if you happen to have similar heat shimmer effects... This is the exact same optical effect that causes the mirage appearance in some images (or in real life, when you really, really need some water).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

Look at the photo of the jet, you will see a very similar visual impact to what you image shows...

---Michael

GlenC

Here is another shot, done a couple of minutes later looking the other direction.

1. The far left electric tower looks really odd, the foreground tower looks reasonable. The right side towers look better.
2. The track has a couple of serious bends in it. If this is how it is for real, I'm amazed the train doesn't derail, but I'm not a train engineer.
3. It looks like smoke where the track ends but I think I would have noticed this when I was taking the photos, and I don't recall seeing any smoke.

I am going to experiment more with this lens and settings, maybe it's just nothing more than mother nature at work.

Glen

Edit: I thought I saved the Exif data with each photo but I don't think it worked. This image was shot hand-held, f/11, 1/200, iso 100. Sony 90mm f/2.8, OSS=on. No Polarizer filter

_DSC0156 (1).jpg_DSC0156-2.jpg_DSC0156.jpg_DSC0156-5.jpg

Last edited: