The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. D

Inkjet vs c-type prints in 2024

Howdo, Inkjet prints have come along way. Their quality is regarded as better than a c-type dye-based print in virtually all aspects except price, certain areas of colour gamut, and possibly tonality (due to dye being used rather than tiny splotches of pigment), not that I'm sure you'd notice...
  2. D

Is there a quick release plate for the Leica S?

Howdo, As the title says, is there a decent quick release plate for the Leica S that is currently available in 2024, and in the EU. Preferably an Arca Swiss fit to avoid adding an additional adapter plate. They have been made before, but these appear to be no longer available. An internet...
  3. D

Leica mtf graph

Howdo, While one can download pdf files of the MTF graphs for the newer R lenses from Leica's website, I can't find one for the Apo-Telyt-R 280mm f2.8 [11263] which ended production in 1996 (to be replaced by the modular 280mm). Google has not been my friend in this regard, so does anyone...
  4. D

Leica Elmarit-S 45mm f2.8 or Zeiss Distagon 45mm f2.8?

Howdo, I'd like to tap into the experiences of those who have used both the Leica Elmarit-S 45mm f2.8 and the Zeiss Distagon 45mm f2.8 (for the Contax 645), on the Leica S cameras. Both are excellent lenses, but what are your thoughts on any differences in image quality (e.g., aberrations...
  5. D

Selective morality of geopolitics & Man's Inhumanity to Man

This thread stems from Shashin's "Solidarity with Ukraine" thread. Out of respect for Shashin, who would like to keep his thread restricted to people posting solidarity messages, I have started a separate thread dealing with the wider issues revolving around such situations, both presently and...
  6. D

So, who's making money out of their photography?

Howdo all, Photography has changed substantially over the last couple of decades. One of these changes is that many pro' photographers are no longer making the money they used to. The main reason for this of course is that the coming of digital has made photography more accessible due to the...
  7. D

Nikon FTZ Performance

Howdo, Here is a video from Steve Perry testing the performance of the FTZ on a D850, Z6, and Z9. Nikon FTZ Essential Info And Speed Tests New and soon-to-be owners of a Z9 who have legacy F-mount AF lenses wil be very pleased. :giggle: Cheers, Duff.
  8. D

How to pronounce German camera and lens brands correctly

Howdo all, Difficult to place this thread, but as the names refer to a lot of analog cameras and lenses, I've placed it here. I'm a bit of a grammar and pronunciation fanatic so I, being a non-German, found the following video VERY useful to improve my German pronunciation. It may also be...
  9. D

New(ish) website for the Rolleiflex 6000 series

Howdo, Old news really, but for those that don't know, a new website (as of 2020) has appeared dealing with the Rolleiflex 6000 series and SLX. It's part of the rolleigraphy.org family of sites, i.e., tlr66.org, sl66.org, etc., most of which are also new, and run by Dutchman Ferdi Stutterheim...
  10. D

Z9 ISO performance

Howdo, Here is wildlife photographer Brad Hill's assessment of ISO performance (specifically noise) from the Z9 compared with other recent Nikon cameras. Scroll down to the 12th Dec. 2021. Cheers, Duff.
  11. D

Nikon Lens Patents

Howdo, Not sure if the following will be of any interest to anyone but here you are (my apologies if they're already been posted elesewhere)... Optical system, optical device, and method for adjusting optical system [2018] Optical system, optical device, and method for manufacturing optical...
  12. D

Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar adaptation to Nikkor Z mount question

Howdo, In the absence of a Voigtländer forum... Voigtländer have always been on my radar, but were invariably set aside for the Zeiss ZF, etc. for my Nikon. However, the recent arrival of the APO-Lanthars in 35mm and 50mm, both f2 aspherical, have got me interested again. Sadly, they're only...
  13. D

Which is the best software for Nikon files

Howdo, I'm looking at upgrading by main photo editing software from Adobe Photoshop CS6. So, the question is what photo editing software (current or recent versions of any manufacturer) do you think gets the best out of Nikon RAW files prior to any deeper editing (e.g., spotting, cropping...
  14. D

Steve Perry's review of the A1 (from a wildlife photographer's POV)

Howdo all, Steve Perry has posted his long(ish)-term assessment of the Sony A1, and can be found here. For those who don't know Steve Perry, he's a pro' wildlife photographer. He is mainly a Nikon shooter, but also shoots with Canon and, for the past year, with Sony. Unlike the vast majority...
  15. D

'Albatross' by Chris Jordan

Howdo all, I wouldn't normally post a link to a film, but this one is close to my heart, and it has a strong photographic link (more so than usual for a film), amongst other very laudible attributes. It's a little more than just a 'nature' film. The film 'Albatross' is a culmination of a...
  16. D

Frances Shultz

As some of you will know, Roger Hicks died back in early April, 2019. Sadly, Frances Shultz, his wife and writing partner, passed away last week from the same disease. I personally enjoyed their writing, and they were two of the few photographers where I learnt something in my formative years...
  17. D

Manual focusing and the D850 viewfinder - is it better?

Howdo, After a little while fruitlessly trying to locate a D850 near me to find out for myself, I will humbly ask here. My experience with focusing manual lenses (i.e., Zeiss ZFs) on Nikon DSLR's has not been pleasant due to the dreadfully dark, diffuse, AF oriented viewfinder. However, I have...
  18. D

A shout-out - 2020 and 'Rolleiflex' still alive.

Just a shout-out for (a now) small camera brand that many photographers assume died back in 2009 when Franke & Heidecke GmbH went bankrupt. (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation, etc., with the company or anyone working for them.) As some of you will know, the 'Rolleiflex' brand is still alive...
  19. D

So, what IS the difference between a Leica S 006 CCD and 007 CMOS sensor?

Howdo all, A largely academic question... I've read on this site and elsewhere on the interweb that owners of both the Leica S 006 and 007 percieve a difference in the images produced by the respective CCD sensor and CMOS sensor. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any objective...
  20. D

Any suggestions for a decent focusing screen - both APS and full frame?

Howdo all, There have been times when using my manual focus Zeiss lenses on my D300s or D2Xs that I've not been able to see where the focus point is in the viewfinder because the focusing screens are just dire! (I envy EVF in this regard!) Can someone, with a huge amount of experience, suggest...