The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

sj2w1

This is in the Hells Hollow part of McConnell’s Mill. I do live literally just over the border, it’s a mile down the road. Name a place & time and I’ll be there.

dj may

After reading the good comments about Hejnar Photo rails, clamps, etc. I decided to give them a try. Since I was visiting the U.S. November 2023, I ordered a variety of products that I could pick up while there. This setup consists of Hejnar horizontal rail, vertical rail and clamps. The horizontal rail is clamped on the A-S Core 75 Leveler, which is mounted on Gitzo Systematic 5 XL. A RSS ball head takes care of the vertical panning, which I have since replaced with a Novoflex Q 48. This will be in my backpack from now on, and the ball head is retired. The ball head had also served a purpose when I needed more tilt than the Core 75 could provide. The difference in weight between the Hejnar/Novoflex setup and the ball head alone is 150 grams. I highly recommend Hejnar.
IMG_5276.jpg9e6dba88-2494-4db7-a2ea-a28b3233a51f.jpg
Leica S3, APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120. About 14 images stitched.
Web-S3012003-20240212-3.jpg

GeorgeBo

Early bird gets the waterfall while also avoiding other people ;)

Image processed with a basic run through Phocus Mobile 2 iPad until I can get home and look at the remaining shots on my main computer. Have consolidated my kit down to a manageable small backpack. Even room for the Z8 and a couple of small adapted lenses for a behind the scenes shot.

IMG_0051.jpeg

NZ8_6782.jpg

cunim

This was an exercise in using hard lights to shoot a fountain pen. We have three hards and one medium soft light (the overhead). There is a linear grid gobo in the Dedolight projection attachment on the front light. There are also four mirrors, ranging from shiny to somewhat diffuse. Yes, I know, there are way easier ways to do this. IQ4, 138HR, tilted and stacked

Back in the 1930's, Waterman's made most of their pens out of ebonite, which is a sort of recycled rubber. Not very glamorous, but these were some of the best pens ever made and I do like the feel of the material. The nib on this Model 7 pen is the rare "Pink", which was marketed as being just the Huckleberry for fancy writing. Expressive writing was a thing back then. Now we just tap keyboards.

_DSC7055.jpg

try1.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Excellent work, Will! Could you please share what the light and projection unit (?) you are using on the left? Additionally, what is the little stand you are using to hold the clear rod?
Thanks!

I can recognize the Broncolor Picolite with Spot Attachment on the left and the Broncolor Flooter (light on the right). Great stuff.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Will Deleon

Excellent work, Will! Could you please share what the light and projection unit (?) you are using on the left? Additionally, what is the little stand you are using to hold the clear rod?
Thanks!
Steve is correct on the lighting modifiers! Pico Projection attachment for precise light on the label, flooter for some rim light / added shimmer to water. The small stand is a Matthew’s Micro Grip system.
Thanks!

cunim

This one continues my compulsive use of hard lights with specular objects. There is a pair of projection units in front of the vase, and another behind it. A diffuse light sits inside the vase. IQ4, XF, LS120 BR, stacked.

This is absolutely the wrong way to shoot vases - at least according to the usual product practices. We are supposed to diffuse our strobes with angled panels to give us attractive gradients, and the rule is to keep light sources as close as possible and maximise softness. That creates attractive images, especially at web resolutions. However, I find that diffusion kills textures and can remove the detail that arises from surface roughness. So, I use hard lights, accepting the very small bright reflections which I clone out later. To my eyes, the results are more true to life than with soft lighting. YMMV

The vase is from Japanese potter, Makuzu Kozan, appointed to the imperial household during the Meiji period (essentially Victorian times). His work varied widely over the years but was always technically and aesthetically sophisticated.

makuzu-1.jpg

_DSC7059.jpg

Last edited:

GeorgeBo

View of the eclipse here in the US from central North Carolina. Interesting combo of the 907x/100C with a Reflex-Nikkor 1000mm/11 w/1.4TC from the late 1960s (according to the SN).

The slight pattern on the last image in the frame is from tree limbs that ended up in the way and not from PDAF lines LOL
George

2024 Eclipse.jpg

NZ8_6849.jpg

dchew

The trip to Patagonia has been wonderful. Good light and good people. I highly recommend Visionary Wild / Justin Black. His trips are well-managed and top shelf. Here I am in my failed struggle to stay dry and to keep the tripod from buzzing in the wind. Classic shot from Lago Pehoe in classic Patagonia conditions.

I was committed to using frame averaging to blur the water, so 9/10 attempts were ruined by the wind. But I was able to find a few gaps between gusts. sk60xl, Alpa STC, IQ4-150, tilt and 5mm back rise (the bottom foreground is cropped).

Dave

Last edited:

rdeloe

The trip to Patagonia has been wonderful. Good light and good people. I highly recommend Visionary Wild / Justin Black. His trips are well-managed and top shelf. Here I am in my failed struggle to stay dry and to keep the tripod from buzzing in the wind. Classic shot from Lago Pehoe in classic Patagonia conditions.

I was committed to using frame averaging to blur the water, so 9/10 attempts were ruined by the wind. But I was able to find a few gaps between gusts. sk60xl, Alpa STC, IQ4-150, tilt and 5mm back rise (the bottom foreground is cropped).

Dave

I especially enjoy the colour palette -- warm light on the mountains and cool light on the ocean. Lovely.