The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Found in Georgia- Leica M8 and three lenses

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Very nice . If you need a e-mail address for Leica to let them know what you have and anyone calls in than let me know . I can put you in touch with management.

geesbert

Last year after quite some search I found a M9. The dealer wanted me to pay for it though, which I happily did.

M5-Guy

Any word if Leica had an owner registered on the find.
Can't even imagine "HOW" you could leave that without noticing it.

M

mrphoto

UPDATE: The camera nor the lenses were registered by the owner. I left my contact information with Leica. The camera was purchased from a dealer in PA and the lenses were purchased from a dealer in Manhattan.

Last edited:

Braeside

MrPhoto, I wonder if you have contacted the local police about this?

I don't know the situation in the States, but in the UK normally police stations have a "lost and found" department and that is the first place somebody checks if they have lost anything of value.

It may also be in your interest to contact the police anyway in case you are accused of stealing it. (Odder things have happened).

Good on you for being so honest and I really hope it turns out well for the owner.

mjm6

I would suspect that the camera dealer may be able to point you to the purchaser. Unless they aren't good at keeping records, that is...

So if you know who the dealer was, I'd give them a call.

If you found it in a public place (state park, local park, etc.), they will have a lost and found process, and it is the first place I would go if I lost a bag of camera parts in the park, etc.

Also, you may want to contact the local police to see if they have a L&F. But more so to find out how long you are obligated to hold onto the gear before you can legally 'dispose' of it. If you don't find an owner in 30 days (or whatever is considered fair due diligence), can you legally sell it or trade it in, etc.

Good luck on the search.

---Michael

M5-Guy

Definitely contact the local police in the city you found it... if nobody claims in the allotted time frame, it is yours and you will sign a L/F release at the end of that period, that legally makes you the new owner.

But, lets hope the owner is still looking for it. And you can be their hero!

seattlesteve

There's hope yet for humankind. Thanks for the honesty and effort you're putting into this mrphoto. It's refreshing to read a thread like this instead of the lost/stolen horror stories.
:salute:

tom in mpls

Have you considered looking at the photos on the SD card for clues?

BTW, I also congratulate you on you honesty and effort to find the owner. But I will also say that I would expect most people would do the right thing. We hear so much news about the baddies, but most are better than that.

proenca

You have my utmost respect ; pity that the owner did not register with Leica otherwise they would return the lens to him - few years back my house got robbed and they took my Leica lens... Police was useless and one day got a call from Leica director in the Uk that one of my lens that I reported was in for 6 bit coding - got all my stuff back

But then again, hope you will find that owner that must be beyond panicking now...

ggriswold

Any luck finding the owner? Hard to believe that someone would lose this camera kit and not have gotten the word out. I would have put my gear on milk cartons....
Possibly stolen from another part of the country/ state? Weird. What's the status Mr Photo?

N

nex100

maybe post some of his photos here and someone can identify him/her