The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The subject of over processed skies came up in another thread, so I thought I'd throw in today's example. X2D Mamiya 645 50mm shift lens @f/11. 12mm shift, although it doesn't look it. No visible lines, but lots of dust - despite removing dozens of the little blobs, I missed several. Part of it is the f/11, but 100% Dehaze will definitely bring them out. Clarity generates small sharp halos. Dehaze is more gentle.

This time it was both dentist and brother-in-law. Still the same damn subway stop.

Matt

Last edited:

jng

Sea Stacks @ Sunset by John Ngai, on Flickr
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | SK 60XL | f/16 | 3-image horizontal stitch | 6.000s, Automated Frame Average​

It's been around 6 months since I've gone out for what might pass as a serious shoot (that pesky day job keeps getting in the way), so it was nice to spend the past weekend with some very good photography friends in Big Sur along the California coast. This image was from the first evening of the trip, after a 4+ hour drive in traffic. My skills were a bit rusty but came back to me eventually. Photography aside, it was just nice to enjoy the view and breathe in the ocean air.

A few more images to come soon...

John

f6cvalkyrie

Some of the flowers of the Camelia collection in the Botanical Garden in Leuven, Belgium have already fallen off and someone had the good idea of arranging them in a a cut-out of a rock to make a colourful feast for the eye (and the camera)

Stay safe,
Rafael

Phase One DF - IQ 140 - Mamiya 120/4 Macro MF

diggles

Yesterday morning, on the way to a work meeting, I walked by an alleyway that I found interesting. The camera was in the truck so afterwards I took a few moments to make some photos with the new Hasselblad 100C and 35XL. It really is a nice combo.

Each of these images was created using camera movements ranging from 5-10mm of camera fall and/or shift. The LCC images were pretty clean, but I didn't bother inspecting them for banding :D

Smile. You're On Camera. by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

Everything Dances by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

Listen by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

MGrayson

Sea Stacks @ Sunset by John Ngai, on Flickr
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | SK 60XL | f/16 | 3-image horizontal stitch | 6.000s, Automated Frame Average​

It's been around 6 months since I've gone out for what might pass as a serious shoot (that pesky day job keeps getting in the way), so it was nice to spend the past weekend with some very good photography friends in Big Sur along the California coast. This image was from the first evening of the trip, after a 4+ hour drive in traffic. My skills were a bit rusty but came back to me eventually. Photography aside, it was just nice to enjoy the view and breathe in the ocean air.

A few more images to come soon...

John
John,

Did you take any extreme measures to prevent the horizon light from turning yellow (usually Red Channel blowout). I don't know if the IQ4150 is especially good that way, or if you took steps, but it's a hard problem to avoid in other cameras I've used.

Lovely colors all around.

Matt

MGrayson

Yesterday morning, on the way to a work meeting, I walked by an alleyway that I found interesting. The camera was in the truck so afterwards I took a few moments to make some photos with the new Hasselblad 100C and 35XL. It really is a nice combo.

Each of these images was created using camera movements ranging from 5-10mm of camera fall and/or shift. The LCC images were pretty clean, but I didn't bother inspecting them for banding :D

Smile. You're On Camera. by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

Everything Dances by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

Listen by Warren Diggles, on Flickr
Warren,

Love the colors in the last image - intense and real.

Matt

jng

John,

Did you take any extreme measures to prevent the horizon light from turning yellow (usually Red Channel blowout). I don't know if the IQ4150 is especially good that way, or if you took steps, but it's a hard problem to avoid in other cameras I've used.

Lovely colors all around.

Matt
Thanks, Matt. I'm 99.9% certain that I used a 3-stop grad ND filter to tame the light at the horizon (it was blinding, I was having trouble seeing anything behind the camera). It's hard for me to judge yellow vs orange in the unprocessed raw file but the L*ab values on the horizon just above the distant rock in the original capture were 82/19/37, 76/30/46 after I pushed the recovery slider down to -100, and 72/36/64 after selecting the area just above the horizon and adding a bit of saturation (all in C1). Interestingly, in the unprocessed file the L*ab values on the sun itself were ~100/~0/~0 and yet I was able to recover it as yellow and not white in the processed file. Go figure.

If you're interested in pursuing this further, in the interest of keeping this thread focused on imagery perhaps you can start another thread to tease this all apart? I'm sure Soup will be happy to serve as your trusty teaching assistant, although you may need to ask him whether he has any orange tabby friends...

John

MGrayson

Thanks, Matt. I'm 99.9% certain that I used a 3-stop grad ND filter to tame the light at the horizon (it was blinding, I was having trouble seeing anything behind the camera). It's hard for me to judge yellow vs orange in the unprocessed raw file but the L*ab values on the horizon just above the distant rock in the original capture were 82/19/37, 76/30/46 after I pushed the recovery slider down to -100, and 72/36/64 after selecting the area just above the horizon and adding a bit of saturation (all in C1). Interestingly, in the unprocessed file the L*ab values on the sun itself were ~100/~0/~0 and yet I was able to recover it as yellow and not white in the processed file. Go figure.

If you're interested in pursuing this further, in the interest of keeping this thread focused on imagery perhaps you can start another thread to tease this all apart? I'm sure Soup will be happy to serve as your trusty teaching assistant, although you may need to ask him whether he has any orange tabby friends...

John
That's a good idea. I've always been frustrated with sunrise images, especially the difficulty of recreating the beautiful coral pink. Of course, this will be sensor dependent, but I have the Leica S3 and Hassy X2D on hand. And I wake up early. Soup, I'm afraid, is unlikely to provide a proper reflection. He may participate in the Behind the Scenes in his role of "What are you doing and why aren't you feeding me?"

My understanding of Highlight Recovery is that it uses surrounding unblown color values to interpolate, but I don't know the details.

Matt

Reactions: jng

PeterA

Hi Peter, you seems to like the rendering of the 90/3,2, right?
It has that special soft-sharp delicate way to render, I think.
KR Thorkil
Hi Thorkil,

none of the XCD or newer V lenses are cheap so one should expect excellent performance- and I haven't been disappointed with the 30/45 /35-75/90/120 Ive bought so far. As for the 90 3,2 these are my observations with a couple of shots to illustrate:

Shoot wide open and close in to your subject and you can get the Leica Noctilux/Summilux) rendering with no loss of micro contrast or super fine detail

r1-1.jpg

- step back and close down to 5.6- 11 and you still get high subject separation and pleasing OOF rendering but more environmental information

g1-1.jpg

step back even further to shoot a landscape or urban scape and you get as above.

I don't have the 80 1.9 to compare against or the new V - but I think the 80 1,9 is a target future present to myself although purportedly slower focusing than this 90 or the new V 90 2.8.

PS As an aside : used camera bodies are becoming ridiculously cheap compared to their new prices these days- one could buy a 'used' GFX1000 / 100S and a GFX 110/2 for example for the price of a 'new Hasselblad V 90/2.8. I have seriously considered adding a Fuji 100S just for a couple of lenses from Fuji which I think are outstanding eg the 110/2.

Cheers
Pete