The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100II won't trigger flash when HC lens attached

BFD

With an HC lens on the Fuji HC adapter, 100II will not trigger a flash either from the hot shoe or the sync port.

Notes:
+ GFX 100II and Fuji HC lens adapter both on firmware 1.20
+ Shoe mount flash and sync port are turned on on the camera
+ Mount adapter setting is set to Lens Shutter
+ Other weird behavior—setting the mount adapter setting to Body Shutter (mechanical), the strobe will fire but does not show up on the file (even with sync set to 1/125)
+ Strobe works fine on the 100II using a Fuji lens (but, of course, I am limited to 1/125 sync speed)
+ All parts work great on my 100s and I get that 1/800 sync speed for the strobe

Any ideas on settings that I am missing or workarounds?

BFD

Changing the curtain from front to rear does not make a difference.

Last edited:

bagnon

Thanks for reporting.

Same issue here, I tried with both Elinchrom and Godox flashes, with both I get the problem that you describe.

Changing the shutter to body, the flash is fired. Back to lens shutter, no work, regardless of the shutter speed.
Quite an irritating error, when the HC adapter is precisely to take advantage of the lens shutter.

My camera firmware is already at 2.0, HC adapter 1.20.

How one reports this bug to Fuji?

BFD

Hi, thanks for responding. Please contact [email protected] and let them know that it is affecting your camera also. I was working with Rich B. if that name happens to come back as your contact. He said that they tried their 100II with adapter and HC lens and a shoe mount flash using the lens shutter and it all worked fine. The led me to believe that there is something wrong with my camera.

I ended up sending my camera to them for evaluation (they just got it yesterday). I described in detail what the issue is since it really is sort of non-pedestrian workflow that almost no on else is going to come across except people like you and me. I hope they are able to reproduce the issue and get it fixed but I am also afraid that they may not test it properly. We will see.

Steve Hendrix

Hmm. Well, it works fine on our cameras. Both GFX 100s and 100 II are flashing at 1/640th of a second. There could be an issue with your camera or a setting that is off somewhere.

Steve Hendrix/CI

bagnon

Thanks Steve, I also have the GFX 100, and works like a charm, same settings than in 100II.

Are you setting "Mount Adaptor Setting->Shutter Select" to lens or body? I can do 1/640 on HSS, but not if I want to use the lens shutter.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve, I also have the GFX 100, and works like a charm, same settings than in 100II.

Are you setting "Mount Adaptor Setting->Shutter Select" to lens or body? I can do 1/640 on HSS, but not if I want to use the lens shutter.
Oh crap. Forgot about that.

Ok, I did check and it was set to lens.

Steve Hendrix/CI

BFD

Hmm. Well, it works fine on our cameras. Both GFX 100s and 100 II are flashing at 1/640th of a second. There could be an issue with your camera or a setting that is off somewhere.

Steve Hendrix/CI
AFAIK, all settings are correct. Basically setting my 100s and 100II the same and everything works great on the 100s. Mechanical Shutter, Lens Shutter, Hot Shoe and/or Front Sync Terminal turned on. The 100II just does not even trigger the strobe. It's like as soon as I select Lens Shutter, the body is turning off the port even though I have Hot Shoe or Sync Terminal turned on. I even put a Ohm meter on the sync terminal and it does not close when the camera fires. Simply turning off Lens Shutter and the both the hot shoe and sync terminal are active again. I'll see what Fuji says about the camera hopefully soon.

bagnon

I hope your camera is perfectly well, and it's only a matter of firmware update... because mine is in line.

Further testing, if I set TTL (I normally only use M), the camera triggers the exposure calculation preflashes, but misses the final one. Same behaviour with both Elinchrom and Godox. So, full silence in M, preflashes on TTL.

BFD

I have the latest 2.0 firmware. Not quite sure what the rest of your post is saying... But I never use TTL so I need M to work.

P. Chong

I shoot at 1/800s all the time with HC lenses. Both 50S and 100 II work fine. I also only shoot M for strobe work.

Photon42

With an HC lens on the Fuji HC adapter, 100II will not trigger a flash either from the hot shoe or the sync port.

Notes:
+ GFX 100II and Fuji HC lens adapter both on firmware 1.20
+ Shoe mount flash and sync port are turned on on the camera
+ Mount adapter setting is set to Lens Shutter
+ Other weird behavior—setting the mount adapter setting to Body Shutter (mechanical), the strobe will fire but does not show up on the file (even with sync set to 1/125)
+ Strobe works fine on the 100II using a Fuji lens (but, of course, I am limited to 1/125 sync speed)
+ All parts work great on my 100s and I get that 1/800 sync speed for the strobe

Any ideas on settings that I am missing or workarounds?
Not sure what Fuji specifies here, but it looks like the timing is completely off. There is a good chance in my eyes there is a problem in the adapter. Have you had the chance to try out a second one?

BFD

I shoot at 1/800s all the time with HC lenses. Both 50S and 100 II work fine. I also only shoot M for strobe work.
Thanks for your input. I was more looking for suggestions on how to fix or maybe to diagnose if the body is defective.

BFD

Thanks, what flash system/remote are you using?
Mostly Profoto but I have tested with several. I have also put an ohm meter on the sync terminal which showed the connection is not closing when the shutter fires.

BFD

Not sure what Fuji specifies here, but it looks like the timing is completely off. There is a good chance in my eyes there is a problem in the adapter. Have you had the chance to try out a second one?
Yes, I have two adapters. Also, everything works with my 100s.

Steve Hendrix

Could be a firmware issue. I know that for the 100II the adapter needs to be on firmware 1.2 and that 2.0 for the 100II body just came out a few days ago.

Our adapter and body were on those marks and everything seemed cool.

Steve Hendrix/CI