The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 100C and 35XL

TimoK

One curious thing. When applying the H/B LCC (supplied by Warren) to itself in Raw Therapee, you get the expected uniform image - basically something that looks like the sheet of white plastic used to capture the LCC in camera (as you'd expect). You also see this in C1 when applying an LCC to itself (but not a H/B LCC ;)). But in Phocus when I try the same thing (and I'm new to Phocus, so forgive me if I've missed something), while the image is generally uniform, it does nothing with the banding. It's like it doesn't see it. Oddly, going back to RT, after selecting 'horizontal' as the blur type, you can switch back to 'area', 'vertical', or 'vertical + horizontal' and the banding seems to remain hidden; it's like RT finds the file a bit confusing as well. I wonder if this issue ultimately has to do with the way the file is being written out in camera. Hmm. (BTW, FYI I've been using the AMaZE demosaicing method in RT throughout).
I tried Amaze+VNG4. Also VNG4 works. Line noise filter horizontally with Green Equilibration almost cleaned stripes away. PDAF filter had no effect. I also got clean light gray picture without stripes assigning flat field file as LCC correction file to itself.

BTW. Is it possible to manage how you assign Lcc file in Phocus or Capture One? Is there something called Dust removing or cleaning. If it exists I think it's the same thing as zero blur at Therapee and so worth of trying.

Last edited:

diggles

BTW. Is it possible to manage how you assign Lcc file in Phocus or Capture One? Is there something called Dust removing or cleaning. If it exists I think it's the same thing as zero blur at Therapee and so worth of trying.
I believe this is possible in C1, but I don't see the option in Phocus.
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 10.52.32 AM.png

TimoK

Not exactly what I was thinking. Not sure what that Equalize intensity means. Try it!
Is there options at right at the Scene calibration row behind that triangle? What does "Create" button?

diggles

The create button is how you create the LCC, but it doesn't give you any. All you can do is name your LCC.

The Equalize intensity option controls how much vignetting you want the LCC to 'fix'. So, 100% removes all of it and 75% only corrects 75% of the vignetting.

f8orbust

...PDAF filter had no effect...
Yup, the PDAF filter for the CFV-100c isn't supported yet in RT. I did see a comment some place - not sure where - that one of the Fuji cameras with the 'same' sensor as the H/B might be supported in ART (Another Raw Therapee - a fork of RT), but not sure in what way (PDAF filter?) and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I think the big take away (for me at least) is that while the banding is an issue now, in the long term it should be a non-issue if H/B pull their socks up. RT's a pretty impressive bit of software, but it would be nicer just to be able to keep everything inside of Phocus. BTW I did try to convert some of the H/B files into DNGs and 'sneak' them into C1 to see how it handled the banding, but couldn't get anywhere with that. I read some place that C1 is now separate from P1, so perhaps they'll support H/B cameras one day.

TimoK

Yup, the PDAF filter for the CFV-100c isn't supported yet in RT. I did see a comment some place - not sure where - that one of the Fuji cameras with the 'same' sensor as the H/B might be supported in ART (Another Raw Therapee - a fork of RT), but not sure in what way (PDAF filter?) and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I think the big take away (for me at least) is that while the banding is an issue now, in the long term it should be a non-issue if H/B pull their socks up. RT's a pretty impressive bit of software, but it would be nicer just to be able to keep everything inside of Phocus. BTW I did try to convert some of the H/B files into DNGs and 'sneak' them into C1 to see how it handled the banding, but couldn't get anywhere with that. I read some place that C1 is now separate from P1, so perhaps they'll support H/B cameras one day.
I did read the same discussion at Dpreview forum.

Try Line Noise filter. It helps. Try Green equilibration filter, it should correct crosstalk. Look: http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Preprocessing

TimoK

The create button is how you create the LCC, but it doesn't give you any. All you can do is name your LCC.

The Equalize intensity option controls how much vignetting you want the LCC to 'fix'. So, 100% removes all of it and 75% only corrects 75% of the vignetting.
So it controls opacity of the lcc file as I was afraid.

There's couple of years gone after I last time used C1. I'm starting to forget. Is there any options behind that icon?

Screenshot.jpg

f8orbust

I tried ART. Not sure if it has something extra going on under the hood compared to RT, but straight from import the banding is very well controlled. Tried the line noise filter and green equilibration, but couldn't get a result as good as by using the method I outline above for RT. BTW ART is basically a fork of RT with a friendlier front end. So if you find RT intimidating, ART is the way to go. Once you become familiar with it, just like RT, it's able to produce wonderful results. So, until H/B tweak Phocus I'd recommend ART if you have a problem with banding. Despite what was said over on DPReview, the fact the banding diminishes with focal length (i.e. the 35 is worse than the 43, and I'm guessing the 28 is probably worse than the 35) means it can't really be a problem with how the file is being written out, so is more likely do do with the PDAF array (or some other physical entity that causes an effect based on the angle of light hitting it). Anyway, for me, it's 'case closed' for now.

Steve Hendrix

There is a dust removal feature in Capture One, but not in Phocus. Once you click Create LCC, you'll have a dialog that allows a Dust Removal process. Then once the LCC process is accomplished, you can check the box if you wish to use the Dust Removal correction.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

rdeloe

Is there a focal length at which it does not happen, or are people seeing the lines with any focal length lens that is shifted?

rdeloe

I've yet to see banding with the 50hr, 90n, 100apo symmar, or 150n. Shifted or unshifted.
Interesting. Now I'm wondering if this is one of those problems that has a focal length threshold for technical/large format lenses.