The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT 150mm HO-S SB Lens

Paul Spinnler

As said, I think SK is designing it for a license fee and they produce in their plant in Japan either directly or via the Japanese lens manufacturing industry.

This is a continuation from SK72 MK II for repro, the last design they commissioned on the XF platform - the 80 MK II – and I wouldn't be surprised if they re-do the 120 Aspheric in a new variant for the XT.

The 150 clearly seems to be borrowed from the previous work done on the aerial side as buildbot also pointed out.

The SB mount could then be for:

90 HR Tilt
120 Aspheric XT
150 HO-S SB

If they'd bring out the 72 MK II for the XT – that would be the a dream for repro.

At the same time it provides some much needed "counter pressure" to Rodenstock who has a monopoly with their Digaron line and has been squeezing photographers and the market over the last 2-3 years with continued price increases.

We all remember that double-digit % price bump last year and how Arca did a call for order just right before it hit hard on the pricing side.

Good to see some new products coming, really makes me confident in an IQ5 and that P1 is not leaving the space, in fact, it will continue to invest in it which is great news.

4x5Australian

The 90mm image circle is curious though. Unless this number is very conservative, it is small for a long lens. 12mm of XY shift goes past the edge of a 90mm image circle.
I was surprised by the image circle of 90mm, too, for the same reason.

Telephoto optical designs do have smaller image circles than the non-telephoto normal designs of equivalent focal length.
That's the trade-off in return for the shortened flange focal distance (FFD) and resulting shortened physical length that telephoto designs provide.

Rod

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I think what happened was that again like with the XC this was a low hanging fruit of sorts as they just copy pasted a product from aerial into photo without a lot of R&D – essentially some minor adjustments to the outer case, sent to Cambo to slap a mount on it and then a press release. This specific one may just have an IC of 90. But don't forget the Digaron 70, 90, 138 ... 180 even.

The fact that there's a "S" for "Standard" IC now suggests actually that there will be a differentiation. All XT lenses cover "S" except the 23 HR, so if there's an "S", there might as well be a "E"(extended) or "SW" or "W" denomination for say the 90 HR tilt, an upcoming 120 ASPH re-hash. The 70 HR would also work on the XT XL.

I am 99% certain we'll see an XT XL at one point.

The other SB lens to come out soonest could therefore be the 90 HR tilt. It makes sense given its enormous IC and how it would go to waste on the XT.

Its release could coincide with the XT XL or foreshadow it.

Last edited:

4x5Australian

I think what happened was that again like with the XC this was a low hanging fruit of sorts as they just copy pasted a product from aerial into photo without a lot of R&D – essentially some minor adjustments to the outer case, sent to Cambo to slap a mount on it and then a press release. This specific one may just have an IC of 90. But don't forget the Digaron 70, 90, 138 ... 180 even.

The fact that there's a "S" for "Standard" IC now suggests actually that there will be a differentiation. All XT lenses cover "S" except the 23 HR, so if there's an "S", there might as well be a "E"(extended) or "SW" or "W" denomination for say the 90 HR tilt, an upcoming 120 ASPH re-hash. The 70 HR would also work on the XT XL.

I am 99% certain we'll see an XT XL at one point.

The other SB lens to come out soonest could therefore be the 90 HR tilt. It makes sense given its enormous IC and how it would go to waste on the XT.

Its release could coincide with the XT XL or foreshadow it.
Yep, what you've said makes good sense, especially given the distinction being made by Phase One between a Standard IC and, presumably, a future E or W or SW IC.

Ok, so the 90mm IC for this lens does not conflict with an introduction of an XT v2 with larger shifts. Indeed, the S designation points towards it.

I've just edited my previous comment accordingly, to avoid any confusion.

Rod

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I also heard rumours some time ago of new 120 ASPH cells being made given demand from repro ...

SK surely would produce again if there'd be an order of 100+ ordered units, and I think that demand is there, which would also be a super cool development. The 120 ASPH would also perfectly fit between the 90 and 150 ...

And if they do the 150, they might just as well just release the 72 MK II float for repro applications. WHAT a lens. 0 distortion, almost no curvature of field, I understand. Perfect for true to life repro

The 72 MK II would truly be a revival of the old SK if it came out.

I don't think they'll revive the symmetric wide angles as the LCC stuff is not good for a modern day clear image out of the box kind of product for the avg. consumer, but having downstairs Rodie HR and upstairs some SK derived own SB XT lenses plus the 90 HR there would make a lot of sense!

Last edited:

4x5Australian

Indeed, SK has recently added, I think, a new section on its website devoted to custom applications and modifications for industrial applications.

Customized lenses | Schneider-Kreuznach (schneiderkreuznach.com)

The page suggests that SK has developed into a more flexible and faster-responding organisation, consistent with the intentions expressed in press releases of some years ago.

So ... perhaps bespoke photo applications are getting some attention now.

Rod

jng

I also heard rumours some time ago of new 120 ASPH cells being made given demand from repro ...

SK surely would produce again if there'd be an order of 100+ ordered units, and I think that demand is there, which would also be a super cool development. The 120 ASPH would also perfectly fit between the 90 and 150 ...
Not a rumour... as of 5 years ago when I inquired (and possibly still to this day), SK was producing the 120 ASPH for the reproduction/cultural heritage industrial market. I was able to get a reputable dealer in the U.S. (not to be named here) to agree to sell me one but they would only supply it as unassembled cells - putting it together would have been on me. I frankly didn't have the wherewithal to deal with this, and was fortunate to pick up an excellent copy in Cambo t/s mount on the used market.

To me, the introduction of the electronically-coupled rear extender also suggests the arrival of the XT's bigger brother with larger shifts. After all, why bother with a back extender when limited to the current XT's 12mm shift limit - easily within the capabilities of the long barrel mount, no?

It will be interesting to see how Phase One expands their lens lineup and what other low-hanging fruit they will pluck from their other divisions (and Cambo) for the photography market.

John

Paul Spinnler

Precisely; extender, nomenclature, press release wording all point to new things and the XT XL I have been talking about a long time.

On 120 ASPH: what I heard was that actually there might be ANOTHER run of the 120 ASPH, which makes sense given repro demand alone.

So this would mean:

Small
23 HR
Standard
32 HR
40 HR
50 HR
70 HR
72 MK II FL (new)
150 HO-SB (new)
Extended
90 HR (new as SB w tilt)
120 ASPH (new)
138 HR

Unfortunately a new 120 won't be cheap.

As in 10k for the XT versions, meaning the 6-8k for non XT in Cambo or Alpa mount would still be the cheapest 120 ASPHs to buy.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Indeed, SK has recently added, I think, a new section on its website devoted to custom applications and modifications for industrial applications.

Customized lenses | Schneider-Kreuznach (schneiderkreuznach.com)

The page suggests that SK has developed into a more flexible and faster-responding organisation, consistent with the intentions expressed in press releases of some years ago.

So ... perhaps bespoke photo applications are getting some attention now.

Rod
Especially for longer lenses their designs are amazing and CC free.

Imagine the collective WOW if there'd be a 120 ASPH with X shutter on a XT XL with 20/25 mm left right shift.

AMAZING.

If I think about it – the 150 is nothing less than SK's return to the tech cam world, courtesy of a bigger order from Phase.

That MONUMENTAL news and a BIGGIE vs. Rodenstock. Market forces are working.

If they do introduce some XT SK derived exclusives it may put further pressure on third party tech cam players such as Arca, Alpa, Linhof as most likely these new SK lenses would be P1 only... so neither accessible via other tech cam manufacturers and neither for non P1 backs.

Last edited:

diggles

To me, the introduction of the electronically-coupled rear extender also suggests the arrival of the XT's bigger brother with larger shifts. After all, why bother with a back extender when limited to the current XT's 12mm shift limit - easily within the capabilities of the long barrel mount, no?
This is another reason I found the whole thing to be curious. You're right, why would they make the rear extension unless they have plans to make a camera with more shift. Looking forward to seeing all of this unfold.

Paul Spinnler

90 HR tilt SB is next - foreshadowing or concurrently with the XT XL ... leaving open the 120 bracket which could be the ASPH and all preparing the IQ5-200 next year.

IQ4 is worth keeping alone for the IQ5 ticket!

Paul Spinnler

This place likes your pictures though! I think XT is finally coming of age and after five years the system is maturing, eliminating all initial design flaws ... although at eye watering prices :(

Do any of the forum members on this topic think or expect that there will be an update of the Phase One XT with more shift than +/-12mm?

Paul Spinnler

It will be more like a large brother. The XT is a compact travel camera which covers the very sharp useful IC if all lenses up until 50 HR; above that eg 70 and 90 HR you have more room to shift.

Arguably, the Rodie lenses below have a few more mm each to rise in panoramic orientation as well so you could extract also more rise from them which is why there is a case as well for these lenses to be mounted on a larger shift body (except the 23 HR which taps out at 2-3mm rise).

Last edited:

ThdeDude

The electronic pass through spacer for short barrel lenses for the XT body is 42mm, front to back.
Does this mean that P1's "XT Short Barrel Adapter" adds 42mm of extension?

Cambo has three different rear spacers, WRS-1010 / 1017 / 1048, adding 10mm, 17mm, and 48mm, respectively. Will be interesting to see whether P1 will follow Cambo, and offer different extensions.

Such rear extension could be interesting for XC cameras with longer focal length lenses.