The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dave.gt

Wow! Early Spring has me working hard in the garden to catch up! If not for my early morning quiet times, I would never relax.
The hours before and after sunrise are my favorite times of the day.:)

Sometimes I simply shoot images for my bride. She collects things like dolls, ceramics, figurines and anything beautiful that is hand-crafted. So I give her a few images of those for her to enjoy on her iPad.

Here is one from first light through the dining room window the other day.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
A092BF11-A8BD-4C90-8343-88EF9300B255.jpeg

dave.gt

The rose garden continues to leaf out and buds are everywhere. We are going back to freeze warnings this week as temps drop below freezing. Hopefully, the buds will not be nipped back too badly. 🤷🏼‍♂️It won’t be long either way before the S 006 will be very busy!😇

dave.gt

It is an unseasonably cold and raw day in Georgia. But this is Spring! Right?🤷🏼‍♂️

It has to be because The Masters in Augusta is starting Round 3 in a few minutes. 🙂

Lots of rain, freezing cold temperatures and falling trees on the 17th hole… ponchos, umbrellas, thousands of cold patrons. Yeah, it’s a great day for relaxing at home.

Oh, yes, Spring is here but bitter cold weather weeks ago put the brakes on our rose garden. Many bushes were killed and our first flush will be about 4 weeks late.

But our Clematis survived!

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
3689BBA8-C826-42A3-BDD6-368CBFD67B05.jpeg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It is an unseasonably cold and raw day in Georgia. But this is Spring! Right?🤷🏼‍♂️

It has to be because The Masters in Augusta is starting Round 3 in a few minutes. 🙂

Lots of rain, freezing cold temperatures and falling trees on the 17th hole… ponchos, umbrellas, thousands of cold patrons. Yeah, it’s a great day for relaxing at home.

Oh, yes, Spring is here but bitter cold weather weeks ago put the brakes on our rose garden. Many bushes were killed and our first flush will be about 4 weeks late.

But our Clematis survived!

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
View attachment 202396
Lookin' kinda macro there. How close does the zoom focus?
Really lovely,
Matt

dave.gt

Lookin' kinda macro there. How close does the zoom focus?
Really lovely,
Matt
Hi, Matt, I shoot all florals at 90mm. It was a convenient happenstance early on that I discovered and it allows me to shoot various size subjects at the same focal length. Since my florals are generally done using a square crop, I don’t have to do much with the composition… here, I shot two frames,
the first image was cropped with the subject a little smaller which allowed more background. It looked nice. But the second image was a little sharper and I was a bit closer so I didn’t crop as much.🤷🏼‍♂️ Not exactly scientific…. But it works for me.

The actual focus distance? Since I shoot virtually all florals handheld, it’s a bit of a guess for the focal distance but I think it is around 24”… I lean/rock in or out to get as close as I want with “good focus” (to my eyes), so each shot is a little different.

The image resolution of the S 006 works great every time, usually at 74mp for a 12x12 final tiff file. I then save the tiff file as a Jpeg for posting online somewhere between 1.5 and 1.9mp.

BTW, I use a camera holding technique that I learned online from Ming Thein when he was shooting with a 100mp H6 in one of his special projects. The technique involves resting the camera lens cradled on the inside of my left elbow and my left hand on my right shoulder… a triangulation technique and it provides an amazing amount of bracing for bigger/heavier cameras, but also works for most any camera-lens combination. 🙂

Of course, if I were to be working with a client for pay, I would absolutely use the tripod… but my work is just for my personal enjoyment these days.

dave.gt

Or how big it that bloom? ;)
Ha! There is the key… the blooms are always about the same size on the blue Clematis.. 5.5”. I can shoot all day without changing anything except shutter speed.

Our roses are anywhere from 3-6” across, and a bit larger for the red Mr. Lincolns. I always lock on to the 90mm focal length and obviously, the actual focus distances will be somewhat different each time.

The wonderful H5D-50c/80mm (now gone) produced similar results with a similar processing protocol, but the colors of the Leica S and file malleability were perfect for me, and I have creating these garden florals pretty much down to a very simple and quick technique now. It is so effortless, no matter the lighting situations, that the creation of our own floral images is both good therapy for me and a desirable gift for my bride who really enjoys photographs from the garden.
Have I tried any really small flowers? Yes, and it works well with more aggressive crops of course.

B6E47B55-F2D4-4A35-9665-C7EA6C395918.jpegDD579938-6DBC-4D5A-A106-ADA07521A375.jpeg
75549317-3EB5-40BB-84AE-45A6E4D99C6E.jpeg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi, Matt, I shoot all florals at 90mm. It was a convenient happenstance early on that I discovered and it allows me to shoot various size subjects at the same focal length. Since my florals are generally done using a square crop, I don’t have to do much with the composition… here, I shot two frames,
the first image was cropped with the subject a little smaller which allowed more background. It looked nice. But the second image was a little sharper and I was a bit closer so I didn’t crop as much.🤷🏼‍♂️ Not exactly scientific…. But it works for me.

The actual focus distance? Since I shoot virtually all florals handheld, it’s a bit of a guess for the focal distance but I think it is around 24”… I lean/rock in or out to get as close as I want with “good focus” (to my eyes), so each shot is a little different.

The image resolution of the S 006 works great every time, usually at 74mp for a 12x12 final tiff file. I then save the tiff file as a Jpeg for posting online somewhere between 1.5 and 1.9mp.

BTW, I use a camera holding technique that I learned online from Ming Thein when he was shooting with a 100mp H6 in one of his special projects. The technique involves resting the camera lens cradled on the inside of my left elbow and my left hand on my right shoulder… a triangulation technique and it provides an amazing amount of bracing for bigger/heavier cameras, but also works for most any camera-lens combination. 🙂

Of course, if I were to be working with a client for pay, I would absolutely use the tripod… but my work is just for my personal enjoyment these days.
Never came across that camera holding technique. Great idea. This calls for another round of Leica S vs Hassy with IBIS!

dave.gt

Climate changes here have been interesting, to put a spin on it. In reality, it is really difficult for everything, even a rose garden. Two bitterly cold spells completely wiped out the first flush buds and now the presentation of this season’s roses is starting, almost 4 weeks late.🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyway, I did lose a nice “Peace” hybrid tea rose bush, and replaced it with something new… a Sugar Moon hybrid tea rose. It is different and quite fragrant!

It will take some time to get to know how to grow this new rose, let alone photograph it. Light changes throughout the day are different for every one.

This is the first image of many to come, I am confident of that. Hopefully they will not be shot on a dreary, sunless, rainy day like yesterday.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
9CA10382-B553-406F-A4BA-3D6B9AFFC950.jpeg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Ah… this brings up a question for you.
What do roses smell like to you?😇

To me, the white ones have a citrus/sweet fragrance. The red Mr. Lincoln roses are also quite fragrant up to 10’ in the garden. I am uncertain if the fragrance is different than that of the new Sugar Moon roses so I will wait for the buds to bloom and I will compare them.

I think adding another sensory dimension discussion to the captures of various roses can make the viewing experience a bit more enjoyable. After all, smell is one of the strongest senses for emotions, even over time. 😃

The same is true of landscapes, I think.

dave.gt

Wow, today is the last day of April and right on cue, the rose garden is set to explode with buds blooming all over!😎

The overnight storms cleared by sunrise this morning and we have the first really nice buds presenting now.

The tiny Sugar Moon below is evidence that the rose bush is budding faster than I can shoot them this week.😇

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
7F245A3D-184C-4D99-A78C-AEDC70E8C6A0.jpeg