The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SK Apo-Digitar 60mm XL versus Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm

Pemihan

Anyone done a comparison of these two lenses: SK Apo-Digitar 60mm XL versus Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm.
I know the difference in weight/size so it's the image quality I'm looking for. I don't shift a lot other than rise/fall and occasionally a pano.

Last edited:

dchew

Hi Peter,
I switched from the 70hr to the 60xl five or six years ago. During the switch I had both for a short period and did some comparisons. I will try to hunt down those images. From memory:
  • On center at all apertures they were essentially the same
  • At f/5.6-f/8 and unshifted the 70hr was better around the edges
  • By f/11, the two were comparable unshifted
  • Shifted, the 60xl was better
"Shifted" back then meant 18mm horizontal shift (98mm IC), which is the max the Alpa STC could do. If I were to sketch comparable mtf, the 70hr would have a flatter plateau then fall off a cliff compared to the 60xl, which would be more of a gradual slope ending higher at the IC edge than the 70hr. That cross over point is around 75 or 80mm IC, but that is really stretching my memory bank. I made the switch for focal length and size, not for image quality. By < f/8 if you are going to shift, I would say the 60xl is the better lens. Unshifted at < f/8, I would call it a draw but maybe the 70hr was slightly better. At > f/8 (wide open), I think the 70hr is sharper.

I have the official MTF's, which sort of match my comments above. However, it does show the 60xl has a lot more astigmatism at the outer IC. You have to do some interpolation because the 70 is based on a 100mm IC, 60xl is 120. Also they are different lp/mm. 70hr is on page 19 of the Rodi brochure:
SK 60XL MFT
Rodi Lenses MFT

Pemihan

Thanks Dave (y) I actually have the 60XL already so from your are saying I'll stick with that. Most of my use almost centered with a little rise/fall at f/8-f/11 so between the two it will probably be a close draw.
Don't worry about the images, I'll take your word for it :)

Ben730

What about the SK 72 mm?
I think it's one of the best lenses I have. Very sharp, also in the corners, no CA, no distortion...
I never had the 60 XL, but I like it a lot more than the 70 HR.
I use it for repro work.
My 2 cents,
Ben

f8orbust

I'd vote for the 60XL in terms of IQ, huge IC, and performance shifted. I also liked the slightly wider focal length when I shot with it versus the 70. So rare on the used market these days, and so expensive - which in and of itself tells you something about how highly regarded this lens is - that if you did sell it you'd have a hard time buying it back should you ever get seller's remorse...

vjbelle

I have never shot or owned the Rody 70 but have both the 60XL and 72mm Schneider's and would never sell either. The 60 XL is very contrasty at F8 to F11 and the 72mm is stellar already at f5.6. Both are very shift capable. If you own either don't sell them.....

Victor B.

Pemihan

Thank everybody. As stated above I already own the 60XL and honestly really have no reason to replace it but I just had the chance to get a 70 HR for a great price and then gear lust kicked in o_O Luckily it sold before I got my hands on it so case closed. You are all right, the 60XL is such a great lens and so rare on the second hand market it would be really stupid to sell it regardless. I think I got one of the last ones that rolled out before Schneider shut down their large format lens line.
System wise I have the Rodie 40HR, SK 60XL, SK 120 ASPH and SK 150 all in Cambo WRS mounts so I'm pretty much covered. Have the SK 90 unmounted as well which I will have mounted someday soon to fill the gap between 60 and 120. Also a SK 80 M and a Rodie 210 in the drawer, someday they need to see the light as well :) Ohh and then there's the new Rodenstock 138 (gear lust kicks in again) :oops:o_O😱 Maybe it's time to go back to a pocket film camera.
Just kidding about the 138, that's not gonna happen!

Last edited:

kinglang

HR70 moves up 25mm, which is much clearer than SK72. SK60XL moved 20mm to the left and right, I found it was a little fuzzy

Steve Hendrix

What about the SK 72 mm?
I think it's one of the best lenses I have. Very sharp, also in the corners, no CA, no distortion...
I never had the 60 XL, but I like it a lot more than the 70 HR.
I use it for repro work.
My 2 cents,
Ben

I tested 70HR against 60 XL once, just a quick test, and I felt the 60 XL just, just, barely eeked out a resolving advantage (no shift).

But as Ben says, I also would highlight the SK 72 L, a very underrated lens, IMO, and one that is relatively easy to find and priced reasonably.

Steve Hendrix/CI