The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The CI Take on P1 Feature Update Firmware 8

Paul2660

Confused. as currently you pull Dual expose from the right menu, i.e. labs. In Brad's post he implies Dual exposure and Frame Averaging both are no longer in Labs. 2 questions,

Did Phase One move Dual exposure to a normal feature with the update? I can easily forgo anything thing that this feature update 8 adds if I lose Dual exposure.

Also Brad implied that Frame Averaging was no long accessed via Labs (pull from the right side of screen). As of the beta I am on (which fixed the issue with cutting off the tops of images when using a tech camera), both Frame averaging and Dual exposure are accessed from the right side of the IQ back, thus in my mind they are both Lab?

Did Phase One move the Dual Exposure and Frame Averaging both from the Labs panel with Feature Update 8? and if so, have you tested them both to see that they both work?

I know they work with the beta firmware I have, but as stated, I still get to them from the Labs panel.

Thanks
Paul C

Ray Harrison

This is an interesting (seeming) limitation from the Feature Update 8 release notes in light of going the Cambo route:

• X-Shutter control via the IQ4 (when using external cable communication) requires that the “Camera Detect” pin of
    the IQ4 be depressed. Please reach out to Phase One Technical Support for more information

I am personally interested in how that will need to work once you have the Cambo lens panels with X-Shutter in-house. On the surface, that seems somewhat tedious but maybe I'm not imagining the process correctly.

Steve Hendrix

Confused. as currently you pull Dual expose from the right menu, i.e. labs. In Brad's post he implies Dual exposure and Frame Averaging both are no longer in Labs. 2 questions,

Did Phase One move Dual exposure to a normal feature with the update? I can easily forgo anything thing that this feature update 8 adds if I lose Dual exposure.

Also Brad implied that Frame Averaging was no long accessed via Labs (pull from the right side of screen). As of the beta I am on (which fixed the issue with cutting off the tops of images when using a tech camera), both Frame averaging and Dual exposure are accessed from the right side of the IQ back, thus in my mind they are both Lab?

Did Phase One move the Dual Exposure and Frame Averaging both from the Labs panel with Feature Update 8? and if so, have you tested them both to see that they both work?

I know they work with the beta firmware I have, but as stated, I still get to them from the Labs panel.

Thanks
Paul C

I can understand the confusion, Paul. That swipe from the right is not exclusively the Lab Tool Area. If Lab Tools are activated, they will appear there, but other tools may as well. If you go to About>Lab Features and set to OFF, then everything still appears, minus the ETTR.

Steve Hendrix/CI

alatreille

I haven't had a chance to look , but for those of us on non XT tech cameras are we able to record movements on the back yet?

Paul2660

Thanks Steve, that makes sense.

Have you guys tested Dual Exposure with Feature update 8 to make sure it still works. (still most single important thing P1 ever did for my style of shooting). ETTR seems a bit redundant at first but it would be nice to have working as it allows only one frame to be taken, thus eliminate motion artifacts if there are any. So far have not seen many with Dual exposure. Also have you seen the image cropping problem come back? It's fixed for sure with the beta I am on. Image crop with tech camera non XT

Glad to see the XF improvements.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve, that makes sense.

Have you guys tested Dual Exposure with Feature update 8 to make sure it still works. (still most single important thing P1 ever did for my style of shooting). ETTR seems a bit redundant at first but it would be nice to have working as it allows only one frame to be taken, thus eliminate motion artifacts if there are any. So far have not seen many with Dual exposure. Also have you seen the image cropping problem come back? It's fixed for sure with the beta I am on. Image crop with tech camera non XT

Glad to see the XF improvements.

Dual Exposure + does still work, and the vignetting/cropping fix is now a formal fix in the public release.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dchew

I haven't had a chance to look , but for those of us on non XT tech cameras are we able to record movements on the back yet?
No, not yet. But, what you CAN now do is adjust ISO, shutter speed and f-stop in LV when using any technical camera. Obviously the f-stop is in metadata only, but useful for diffraction correction. This is a very welcome improvement to workflow in the field, especially if you use Simulated Exposure mode in LV.

Dave

Paul2660

Dave, wasn’t all of that already available? From the IQ screen? ISO, shutter speed when using ES have been. And set the F stop for the meta data which I forget to do most of the time. This is with an Arca camera.
Paul C

dchew

Dave, wasn’t all of that already available? From the IQ screen? ISO, shutter speed when using ES have been. And set the F stop for the meta data which I forget to do most of the time. This is with an Arca camera.
Paul C
Hi Paul,
It was available from the Control screen, but not in Live View. Now you can adjust on the fly without exiting LV. You can watch the live histogram as you change settings. For me, this is much faster.

Dave

Steve Hendrix

Hi Paul,
It was available from the Control screen, but not in Live View. Now you can adjust on the fly without exiting LV. You can watch the live histogram as you change settings. For me, this is much faster.

Dave

I've gotten completely used to this now. Anything that prevents unnecessary back and forth I'm all for it.

Steve Hendrix/CI

I've gotten completely used to this now. Anything that prevents unnecessary back and forth I'm all for it.

Steve Hendrix/CI
For those of us who didn‘t realize this is a feature, can you provide instructions in how to do this (I’ve previously always gone back to the control screen to change the shutter speed, ISO, etc.)? Thank you!

Paul2660

Thanks Dave. I missed that. Great to have in Live View. You are right that’s a big improvement not having to go back and forth.
Paul C

dchew

For those of us who didn‘t realize this is a feature, can you provide instructions in how to do this (I’ve previously always gone back to the control screen to change the shutter speed, ISO, etc.)? Thank you!
When in the LV screen, you can see ISO, Shutter Speed and f-stop at the bottom. The four hard buttons work like this:
  • Top Left: Exits LV like it always did
  • Bottom Left: Cycles between ISO, Shutter Speed and f-Stop
  • Top Right: Increases the value
  • Bottom Right: Decreases the value
Edit: You see ISO, Shutter Speed and f-stop at the bottom AFTER you press the Bottom Left button one time, or tap anywhere on the screen while in LV.

This applies to any dumb (non-XT) technical camera; I have no idea if it works the same way when connected to the XT or XF. I've been using LV in Simulated Exposure Mode, which usually gets me close enough to the correct exposure. Takes some practice, and I do still use the heat map after to fine tune subsequent exposure adjustments. Obviously changing the f-stop only changes it in the meta data. I still find that useful to enter correctly since it impacts Diffraction Correction in C1. I rarely (if ever) change f-stop for exposure reasons, but it does remind me to make sure the metadata is correct.

Dave

Last edited:
When in the LV screen, you can see ISO, Shutter Speed and f-stop at the bottom. The four hard buttons work like this:
  • Top Left: Exits LV like it always did
  • Bottom Left: Cycles between ISO, Shutter Speed and f-Stop
  • Top Right: Increases the value
  • Bottom Right: Decreases the value
Edit: You see ISO, Shutter Speed and f-stop at the bottom AFTER you press the Bottom Left button one time, or tap anywhere on the screen while in LV.

This applies to any dumb (non-XT) technical camera; I have no idea if it works the same way when connected to the XT or XF. I've been using LV in Simulated Exposure Mode, which usually gets me close enough to the correct exposure. Takes some practice, and I do still use the heat map after to fine tune subsequent exposure adjustments. Obviously changing the f-stop only changes it in the meta data. I still find that useful to enter correctly since it impacts Diffraction Correction in C1. I rarely (if ever) change f-stop for exposure reasons, but it does remind me to make sure the metadata is correct.

Dave
Dave, thank you! This is great.

Jacob

alatreille

Thanks Dave - really appreciate you taking the time to get back to us on this.

@Steve Hendrix do you know if lens and movement selection is still on the cards for us non (or not yet) XT users?

Thanks very much.

Andrew

Paul2660

I am curious how the ETTR can even work correctly with just the XT. Sure the XT has exposure modes like Av Tv etc but it has no metering (exposure) that I am aware of. Surely some feature that is attempting to pick the best exposed to the right exposure would need metering? If it’s using the IQ4’s live view exposure simulation to gauge correctly, good luck with that as I have never found that to work very well on either a tech camera (Arca) or XF.

And on the camera with metering, the XF it won’t work at all. Even with the XF in Av mode and set for ES shutter.

Paul C

XT has metering. In live view swipe to the right, the first icon on the top turns metering in live view on. It actually works pretty well. I was surprised when I bought my XT that it had metering. (I actually dug thru old cases to find a spot meter because I wasn't expecting metering.)