The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fujinon GF Tilt Shift Lenses Are Finally Here!

Steve Hendrix

The Fujinon GF Tilt Shift Lenses Are Finally Here!
By Dave Gallagher
Posted September 12, 2023
In Fujifilm, Fujifilm GFX, Fujifilm Tip, News

I can’t remember the last time I anticipated a lens release that would impact my market as much as the new Fujinon Tilt Shift lenses. Fujifilm has shocked the photography market over and over again by creating the highest quality extra low dispersion aspherical lenses at an amazing low cost to the consumer. But one glaring hole in their line up has always been the lack of any lenses with movements. This has forced the architectural / table top photographer to either use a different digital camera, attach a digital back to a Cambo view camera, or, at worst, “correct in post.” But alas, this no longer has to be the case. We can now begin taking orders on these two lenses immediately.
Let’s get all the technical data out of the way first. Take a look at the following specs to compare these two long awaited lenses against each other.

Search:
FUJINON GF 30MM F/5.6 T/SFUJINON GF 110MM F/5.6 T/S MACRO
35mm Equivalent24mm87mm
Elements1611
Degrees of Tilt8.5°10°
MM of Shift15mm15mm
Angle of View84.7°27.9°
Focus Distance12"17.2"
Max Magnification.21x.5x
Filter Size105mm72mm
Height5.5"5.85"
Weight2.95 lbs2.76 lbs
Lens HoodYesNo
Adapter ring and Tripod CollarYesNo
Ships onOctober 26thNovember 30th
Price$3,999.95$3,499.95
Showing 1 to 14 of 14 entries
THE FEATURES THAT STAND OUT
  • 15mm of Shift in each direction – This is 3mm more than the current “competitive” T/S lenses
  • Shift and Rotation angle data stored in the metadata of the image
  • Large 85mm images circle that more than covers the 33×44 sensor
  • The highest quality optics – 3 GM, 3 ED, and 1 Super ED elements
WHY DOES THIS MATTER?
This is just plain simple. The current crop of T/S lenses fail when combined with today’s high resolution sensors. And yes, we have no issue stating this over and over. If you know anything about Capture Integration, then you know we back up our statements with knowledge and real world testing. We have been amazed at just how all of the top brand’s T/S lenses fail when we compare them to a fixed lens shifted on a body with movement. And they don’t just fail, they fail in plummeting ball of flames.
THE TEST
We performed a very simple panoramic 3 image stitch with a Canon R5 and a Fujifilm GFX 100s. The bodies are in the same exact location using the same tripod mount. Below are the specs for each body

• Fujifilm GFX 100s 100mp Digital Camera body
  • Fujinon GF 30mm T/S Lens
  • 15mm shift Left, 15mm Shift right, and straight shot
  • Stitched in PS 2022
  • ISO100, f/5.6, 1/30th second
  • No sharpening or retouching – 1 stop of midtone adjustment

• Canon R5 45mp Digital Camera body
  • Canon EF to R Lens adapter
  • Canon 24mm T/S II Lens
  • 12mm Left, 12mm right, and straight shot
  • Stitched in PS 2022
  • ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/30th of a second
  • No sharpening or retouching – 1 stop of midtone adjustment
Fuji GFX 100s with GF 30mm T/S
Canon R5 with 24mm T/S II

Fujifilm on the left and Canon on the right
At the center, these two images show a megapixel resolution difference. That is all. You can’t expect a 45mp Canon Sensor to resolve what a 100mp Fujifilm sensor can resolve. Both images were as sharp as to be expected of these two systems. The Canon file resolved as we thought it would and is suitable for many lower resolution needs.

The focus chart on the right was not positioned all the way to the end of the frame for either body. At this point we can see both a resolution limitation and a lens failure. The Canon file shows the beginning of a radial blur issue that we see with every single Canon T/S lens. This issue can produce a decent image and many don’t even recognize that their lens has an issue. But remember, the Canon 24mm T/S II is on the front of a 45mp body. Add this lens to a 100mp body and the results become unacceptable.

When the focus charts on the left are imaged with the maximum shift on each camera body/lens combination, the true depth of the problem is illustrated. The Canon system has both radial blur and severe distortion. And it shows that this body lens combination is not linear. One side is severely worse than the other. We at CI see these issues daily when customers finally decide to move up from 35mm DSLR/Mirroless systems to the higher quality medium format capture systems. The knee jerk reaction is that “we must have a bad lens” and I assure you that all of our tests with multiple Canon lenses show this same issue. Yes, some lenses are more extreme than others. And this is what led us to liquidate our full dslr inventory a few years back.

IT CAN’T BE THIS MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE…
I love the quality of my iPhone. It takes a darn good image. But when I compare it to an actual interchangeable-lens digital camera, it pales in comparison. By itself is is great! Side by side, I can see the real difference.
And I can unequivocally state that this is the same situation here. 35mm systems fail when compared side by side to medium format sensors on view cameras, tech cameras, or now, a native T/S lens. In my experience, T/S dslr glass has failed for years. Many photographers use them because it’s all that has been available or that it is just “good enough” for their clients needs. If you want to know what I think about that “good enough” mentality, then do a search of our website for “good enough”. It’s an enjoyable read.
THANK YOU FUJIFILM
We are thrilled to have these high quality lenses available to our Fujifilm customers today. This medium format combination should be the gateway for many 35mm sensor customers to move up to the quality of medium format capture. If I am a Fuji GFX shooter then I would want the option to be able to pull out one, if not both of these lenses, out of my camera bag when I needed them. We anticipate a very large back order. Please place your order as soon as possible to secure your spot in the queue.

FUJINON GF30MM T/S
ORDER NOW

FUJINON GF110MM T/S MACRO
ORDER NOW

Paul Spinnler

Yes and in the meantime P1 hasn’t even been able to add tilt metadata to their XT lenses which cost a multiple of these …

Alan

Cool Fuji, keep going! Now for a superwide and normal-ish TS.

How’s the distortion? Will there be full image circle correction profiles for use in C1?

Paul Spinnler

Cool Fuji, keep going! Now for a superwide and normal-ish TS.

How’s the distortion? Will there be full image circle correction profiles for use in C1?
Fuji states in their promotional videos that they added the metadata recording to always know where the sensor is with regards to the IC centre – ie, this will allow to perfectly correct any image with regards to vignetting and distortion based on the already existing C1 engine ... I would assume these profiles come with one of the next C1 software updates.

You will be able to have an import preset which then automatically corrects all of it.

And with generative fill you can basically just stop at the top of the building and add a piece of sky if needed and therefore have even higher-res pictures.

Alan

Regarding that Canon vs Fuji comparison, a couple things:

Nobody is shooting shifted CaNikon lenses at f/5.6 for sharp corners. The only time I do that is to layer in a reduced sun star variant when retouching.

The Canon and Nikon 24mm lenses are way overdue for replacement. The Nikon 19 is better than these even at f/5.6, but still has astigmatism in the outer image circle.

The Fuji looks great - no need to exaggerate things.

Nobody is shooting shifted CaNikon lenses at f/5.6 for sharp corners. The only time I do that is to layer in a reduced sun star variant when retouching.

The Canon and Nikon 24mm lenses are way overdue for replacement. The Nikon 19 is better than these even at f/5.6, but still has astigmatism in the outer image circle.

True, I never used my Schneider shift lens (for Nikon) wider than f16, and I don't use my Pentax lens (adapted with T/S adapter for GFX) wider than f11. It would be interesting to see the comparison at a more realistic aperture. No doubt the Fuji would still embarrass the Canon, but it would be a more useful comparison.

I'm happy to see how the Fuji performs at 5.6, though. Just to let it show off a little. The results are unreal.

Steve Hendrix

Agreed. With some caveats. I would have liked to see some f/11 shots as well. But it's not an exaggeration to say that while the Canon might benefit to some degree stopped down, the Fuji is already excellent wide open, and this is shown. The Fuji was shot at the weakest aperture on purpose, this is wide open, while the Canon at f/5.6 is stopped down numerous stops from wide open. Yes, we're missing the f/11 shots, but the Canon at f/11 won't come near the Fuji even with the Fuji at f/5.6. This we know from shooting the Canon lenses many times, but I do agree, would be better to have shown multiple aperture sets, including an f/11.

We'll do some more testing in the future, we had this lens last week under tight deadline, so we were a bit rushed.

Steve Hendrix/CI

marc aurel

I am very happy that Capture Integration posted these first test shots. Thanks for that.
But I agree with what Alan says. It is just not true that all Canon TS lenses are weak in the shifted corners. The TS-E 50mm L, TS-E 90mm L II and TS-E 135mm are excellent and in the quality range of native GF lenses. From the pictures above they will maybe not be as sharp as the Fuji TS lenses at f5.6. But we will have to check.
It will be interesting to see a comparison of the TS-E 90mm L II vs. GF 110mm TS. Both are 1:2 macro capabable. The Canon is f2.8 which can be great for details – for example objects in a museum environment.
But I am very very excited and glad about the GF 30mm TS lens. I waited for that since the first GF camera came out. Looks like Fuji fulfilled all the wishes I had for that lens.

Steve Hendrix

It's not a perfect test. And we'll do more testing. But in any test we have ever performed, the Fuji lenses handily outperform the Canon lenses. And some of our testing has been performed for museum clients for their subject matter and environments.

For me personally, I like the Canon lenses, I use and own Canon lenses. But I also know they don't match the Fuji glass. This is not surprising. The relevance here is in the case of short tilt/shift lenses, so many photographers (landscape and architectural photographers especially) have been forced to adapt Canon optics for use with a sensor that they are not natively designed to optimally accommodate. They had no other choice - until now.

Steve Hendrix/CI

marc aurel

It's not a perfect test. And we'll do more testing. But in any test we have ever performed, the Fuji lenses handily outperform the Canon lenses. And some of our testing has been performed for museum clients for their subject matter and environments.

For me personally, I like the Canon lenses, I use and own Canon lenses. But I also know they don't match the Fuji glass. This is not surprising. The relevance here is in the case of short tilt/shift lenses, so many photographers (landscape and architectural photographers especially) have been forced to adapt Canon optics for use with a sensor that they are not natively designed to optimally accommodate. They had no other choice - until now.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I don't know which Canon lenses you tested against which GF lenses. For example In a test i did myself, the TS-E 90mm L II was on par with the GF 110mm at most apertures. You can take a look here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4602240

And since your first statement was not just about "short tilt/shift lenses", but about all Canon lenses, I am a bit touched. I am an architecture photographer, and for me the TS-E 50mm serves an extremely important focal length. This lens was a life saver a lot of times. It is so good, it just does not deserve such a harsh and sloppy judgement. And I own most GF lenses and use them on the GFX 100, so I know something about their sharpness.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I don't know which Canon lenses you tested against which GF lenses. For example In a test i did myself, the TS-E 90mm L II was on par with the GF 110mm at most apertures. And since your first statement was not just about "short tilt/shift lenses", but about all Canon lenses, I am a bit touched. I am an architecture photographer, and for me the TS-E 50mm serves an extremely important focal length. This lens was a life saver a lot of times. It is so good, it just does not deserve such a harsh and sloppy judgement. And I own most GF lenses and use them on the GFX 100, so I know something about their sharpness.
I appreciate your perspective. Dave wrote this article, I did not. Have we tested every Canon lens against every Fuji lens? No. But the gist of the test in this article is about short tilt/shift lenses.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

Marc, thanks for your post and test, I look forward to viewing that. I wish we did have time to do more tests and flesh them out with more variations.

Generally, I would say that longer lenses fare better against stiff competition, depending on what you're asking them to do.

Steve Hendrix/CI

P. Chong

Thanks Steve. The new T/S lenses are certainly great looking, and an excellent extension to the GF lineup many of us are waiting for. The GFX 100II is no slouch too…😃. Can’t wait till I get my hands on them to try out. Yea, thanks Fujifilm.

diggles

And since your first statement was not just about "short tilt/shift lenses", but about all Canon lenses, I am a bit touched. I am an architecture photographer, and for me the TS-E 50mm serves an extremely important focal length. This lens was a life saver a lot of times. It is so good, it just does not deserve such a harsh and sloppy judgement. And I own most GF lenses and use them on the GFX 100, so I know something about their sharpness.
Thank you for posting, I had my TS-E 50 and 90 macro lenses listed for sale on FM and decided to withdraw them. Even though I don't use them a whole lot, your tests helped me realize that I would probably regret selling them. Fuji doesn't have a full line of TS lenses yet, but combining the Fuji 30mm and 110mm with the Canon 50mm and 90mm macros will give you a damn good set.

Even Alpa considers the Canons a viable lens alternative:

diggles

When I look at pictures of the 110 TS, the shape of the sides look like they are purposely made to accept a collar. It wouldn't be like the one for the 30 TS that allow the lens to rotate, but the shape sure looks like it was designed to accept some sort of mount. Even though the location is not ideal since it's behind the tilt mechanism, being in front of the shift would make it great for stitching. Could be wishful thinking on my part…

fuji-gf-110.jpg