The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The OM-1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What key-features were you missing, Jørgen ?
Better video features mostly. They seem to have corrected that. Ergonomics still don't look as good as with the GH Series, but there are some improvements, like the bigger rubber "thing" around the viewfinder. Viewfinder is apparently much improved. I also like the new shutter release.

pegelli

Looking at the specs I'm most interested to see how much the new back illuminated sensor is improved vs. the old one. And overall it looks like a great camera, the increased resolution of the EVF is also nice, but for me less important.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looking at the specs I'm most interested to see how much the new back illuminated sensor is improved vs. the old one. And overall it looks like a great camera, the increased resolution of the EVF is also nice, but for me less important.
But if you know that old EVF (either from EM1.3 or EM1.X) then you probably will appreciate the new one ;)

biglouis

All versions of the Olympus E-M1 have been impressive cameras, but at least in my view, there have always been some key features missing. With the new OM-1, most or all of this seems to be corrected. This will be a very impressive camera.

Full specs:

Yes and no. It is a shame. This is an incredibly good camera but having gone up only to APS-C I can see a striking difference in acuity between the sensor sizes, when for example, looking at bird feathers in the test shots at DPreview. Likewise, a lot of pros have been using the Oly 150-400 for wildlife and it opens up a lot of opportunities but the sharpness is still an issue when I look at their images, imho. One of the major selling points of the Olympus film cameras was their small size. Truly beautiful objects in their own way. OM or whatever they are called should try to reinvent that schtick with a FF sensor in a body like this. They could rise from the ashes and easily take on Sony, Nikon and Canon with their superior optical engineering.

Just my two cents.

Godfrey

It's good to see Olympus remaining viable with new products and excellent optics! It looks like they've done a lovely job of incremental development while retaining their excellent optics and design brief.

My photography today doesn't seem to require such feature-filled machines, I tend to look for things that are as simple as possible now. But I enjoy reading about the latest innovations that these camera makers come up with.

G

SrMphoto

Yes and no. It is a shame. This is an incredibly good camera but having gone up only to APS-C I can see a striking difference in acuity between the sensor sizes, when for example, looking at bird feathers in the test shots at DPreview. Likewise, a lot of pros have been using the Oly 150-400 for wildlife and it opens up a lot of opportunities but the sharpness is still an issue when I look at their images, imho. One of the major selling points of the Olympus film cameras was their small size. Truly beautiful objects in their own way. OM or whatever they are called should try to reinvent that schtick with a FF sensor in a body like this. They could rise from the ashes and easily take on Sony, Nikon and Canon with their superior optical engineering.

Just my two cents.
I think the FF arena is already too crowded. Glad to see m43 cameras evolving.

eddystone

Just my two cents.
There are loads of FF options. I think the selling point of M43 is the benefits of the smaller sensor - less inertia to move sensor for better IBIS, smaller, sometimes much smaller, lenses. And for everyone who moans about too much depth of field, there are some of us who find it an advantage. It's another option and diversity in the marketplace has to be a good thing. Suspect OM only scratched the surface with computational photography.

biglouis

There are loads of FF options. I think the selling point of M43 is the benefits of the smaller sensor - less inertia to move sensor for better IBIS, smaller, sometimes much smaller, lenses. And for everyone who moans about too much depth of field, there are some of us who find it an advantage. It's another option and diversity in the marketplace has to be a good thing. Suspect OM only scratched the surface with computational photography.
Completely agree about depth of field. Again, in wildlife that is a major advantage especially when trying to get wing to body to eye sharpness.

Methinks, I protesteth too much. I've been looking at the raw samples of birds at DPreview and the results at 100% are good but they are all shot at low iso. One internet pundit claims there is a two-stop improvement in high iso noise, e.g. you can shoot up to 6400 and recover good detail and a 1 stop improvement in dynamic range. If that is really true then that is a big improvement.

BTW, I do not hold against the camera its somewhat meagre 20mpx sensor. If you can use the crop factor to get you to 840mm (300f4+TC1.4x) then sensor size is less of an issue than atmospheric interference would be.

LouisB

eddystone

OM1 looks a tour de force but not one I could justify when EM1 mk2 meets my needs for a travel camera. The 40-150/4.0 OTOH is exactly what I need, the 2.8 version being far too large for my idea of a small, discrete travel kit.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The OM-1 is a beautiful piece of kit and seems pretty much up to date for todays m43 arena I applaud OM System for this and hope that they continue that direction. The 20MP are a bit meh though but obviously the optimum what can be achieved while holding best possible DR and noise at higher ISO, although 26-30 MP would have been what I had lusted for - but maybe in the next incarnation with the OM-2 :cool:

The new 4/40-150 PRO seems to be a great lens for light travel combined with the OM-1 kit (which is available with the 2.8/12-40 II PRO).

I most likely would buy it in that mentioned travel combination together with the 4.5/150-300 PRO - I guess that could make almost all I need for now and the next future :);)

I like that nostalgic connection to the original OM-1 from 50 years ago in combination with the Olympus writing on the prism - which will be the last time we see Olympus on one of their cameras!

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

I'm glad to see that Olympus can go on developing new cameras, but I will not invest in this new tool anytime soon ... I'm not an early adopter, I bought the E-M1X in spring 2021 (and even bought a Phase One DF three years ago ... ) ... the E-M1X will remain my workhorse for the next years, maybe even until death do us part ...

Stay safe and have fun,
Rafael