The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The OM-1

k-hawinkler

1/60 s sensor readout time in my OM-D E-M1 II or III ruins about half my hummingbirds in flight images through rolling electronic shutter artifacts/distortions.

The Sony A9’s 1/160 s and the A1’s 1/240 s don’t exhibit the problem in any noticeable way.

Question then is: Is the OM-1”s 1/120 s or 1/125 s sensor readout time fast enough to avoid the problem, in particular as mechanical shutter FPS has been reduced compared to its predecessor cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
1/60 s sensor readout time in my OM-D E-M1 II or III ruins about half my hummingbirds in flight images through rolling electronic shutter artifacts/distortions.

The Sony A9’s 1/160 s and the A1’s 1/240 s don’t exhibit the problem in any noticeable way.

Question then is: Is the OM-1”s 1/120 s or 1/125 s sensor readout time fast enough to avoid the problem, in particular as mechanical shutter FPS has been reduced compared to its predecessor cameras.
KH

very simple solution - try one out and then you know :)(y):)

But from the pure numbers it should work ....

k-hawinkler

KH

very simple solution - try one out and then you know :)(y):)

But from the pure numbers it should work ....
Thanks Peter.
An even simpler solution is to just use my Sony gear.

BTW somebody at FM pointed out that the OM-1 in combination with the new 150-400/500 lens isn’t smaller or less heavy than comparable new Canon gear. That person has shot all the different vendor available systems, including Olympus and Sony. He achieves stunning birding images with any system he uses, including MFT. He will now use for birding Canon gear at half the cost of the OM-1 and 150-400, that is also lighter.

I find that interesting.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Birding and animal studies are not the only uses for FourThirds format or Olympus cameras and lenses. ;)

I know this is a popular subject type for the smaller format, but I also did a lot of portraiture, street, product, and art photography with Olympus gear In the past. Most of my photo business work was done on Olympus and Panasonic FourThirds format (environmental portraiture, book illustration, event editorial categories).

G

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Peter.
An even simpler solution is to just use my Sony gear.

BTW somebody at FM pointed out that the OM-1 in combination with the new 150-400/500 lens isn’t smaller or less heavy than comparable new Canon gear. That person has shot all the different vendor available systems, including Olympus and Sony. He achieves stunning birding images with any system he uses, including MFT. He will now use for birding Canon gear at half the cost of the OM-1 and 150-400, that is also lighter.

I find that interesting.

That "somebody" on FM made that claim by comparing the 150-400/500mm lens with the much cheaper, and at least technically inferior, 100-400/500mm lenses from Canon and Sony, then adding 2x TCs. Here is the answer I gave him to his claim, using the Zuiko 100-400mm lens instead of the 150-400mm which is a much more advanced lens:

Canon R6 (20MP) + Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 + Canon Extender RF 2x
Price: $2,499 + $2,899 + $599 = $5,997
Weight: 680g + 1,365g + 340g = 2,385g

Sony a7 IV (34MP) + Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 + Sony FE 2x Teleconverter
Price: $2,498 + $2,498 + $548 = $5,544
Weight: 658g + 1,395g + 207g = 2,260g

Nikon Z6 II (24MP) + Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 + Nikon Z Teleconverter TC-2x
Price: $1,997 + $2,697 + $597 = $5,291
Weight: 705g + 1,435g + 270g = 2,410g

Panasonic Lumix S5 (24MP) + Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sports + Sigma TC-1411 1.4x Teleconverter
Price: $1,898 + $1,399 + $399 = $3,696
Weight: 714g + 2,100g + 175g = 2,989g

Panasonic Lumix S5 (24MP) + Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary + Sigma TC-2011 2x Teleconverter
Price: $1,898 + $899 + $429 = $3,226
Weight: 714g + 1,135g + 205g = 2,054g

FUJIFILM X-T4 (26MP) + FUJIFILM XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 + FUJIFILM XF 1.4x TC WR Teleconverter
Price: $1,699 + $1,899 + $449 = $4,047
Weight: 607g + 1,375g + 130g = 2,112g

Panasonic G9 (20MP) + Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3
Price: $998 + $1,598 = $2,596
Weight: 658g + 985g = 1,643g

Panasonic GH5 II (20MP) + Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3
Price: $1,498 + $1,598 = $3,096
Weight: 727g + 985g = 1,712g

OM-S E-M1 (20MP) + M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5-6.3
Price: $2,199 + $1,499 = $3,698
Weight: 599g + 1,120g = 1,719g

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Is 1/120 s fast enough for Hummingbirds in Flight, twisting and turning?
Hi KH,

found this video that show I guess a flying hummingbird around 0:51s and again a foto around 1:32s which for me looks fine. Maybe it would also be good for your measures ....

k-hawinkler

Hi KH,

found this video that show I guess a flying hummingbird around 0:51s and again a foto around 1:32s which for me looks fine. Maybe it would also be good for your measures ....

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.
Those were easy hummingbird scenarios.
The difficult ones are when the hummers are twisting and turning.
Then the wing ends move exceedingly fast.
Thanks again.

SrMphoto

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.
Those were easy hummingbird scenarios.
The difficult ones are when the hummers are twisting and turning.
Then the wing ends move exceedingly fast.
Thanks again.
Sony a9 has a readout speed of 1/160sec, OM-1 has 1/125sec. If a9 is fast enough, then I would guess that OM-1 is also fast enough. But the best is to have real-life tests.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
In this article from Dpreview where they discuss sensor readout times from different brands around 2:37 .....

Nikon Z9 with 1/280s is definitely the fastest today, followed by the

Sony A1 with 1/250s

Olympus OM-1 with 1/125s

the Olympus E-M1 III is only 1/50s

an interesting article about why and how Nikon made this happen in the Z9 can be found here

Hope that helps to put readout speeds in context. The clear winner today is Nikon with the Z9, but I guess it is only a matter of a few months before other manufacturers will close this gap as well.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

In this article from Dpreview where they discuss sensor readout times from different brands around 2:37 .....

Nikon Z9 with 1/280s is definitely the fastest today, followed by the

Sony A1 with 1/250s

Olympus OM-1 with 1/125s

the Olympus E-M1 III is only 1/50s

an interesting article about why and how Nikon made this happen in the Z9 can be found here

Hope that helps to put readout speeds in context. The clear winner today is Nikon with the Z9, but I guess it is only a matter of a few months before other manufacturers will close this gap as well.
M1.3 is 1/60 sec. The limit is noticeable in the fastest Live ND shutter speed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a behind-the-scenes video from a bad weather portrait shoot with the OM-1. Absolutely stunning images:

The same guy also has a long, detailed review of the camera:

The more results I see from the OM-1 and the GH6, the more obvious it is to me that considering a larger format, at least for me, is a total waste of time. When photos and footage like these can be produced under those conditions, what more can I ask for? More expensive gear? No, thank you. Larger, heavier gear? No, thank you very much.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here's a behind-the-scenes video from a bad weather portrait shoot with the OM-1. Absolutely stunning images:

The same guy also has a long, detailed review of the camera:

The more results I see from the OM-1 and the GH6, the more obvious it is to me that considering a larger format, at least for me, is a total waste of time. When photos and footage like these can be produced under those conditions, what more can I ask for? More expensive gear? No, thank you. Larger, heavier gear? No, thank you very much.
Many thanks for these videos indeed! I have very similar feelings like you about the m43 format and the available options.

SrMphoto

On DPR, Z 9 and A1 owners are reporting equal and better success with OM-1 when locking and tracking subjects.

PhotonsToPhotos measurements show the same PDR curve as with M1.3. For landscape and architectural shooters, the improved HHHR should give the necessary DR improvement (unchanged from the previous model, but better ergonomics).

bensonga

I’m surprised there has not been more discussion on this forum about the OM-1. Has anyone here purchased one? Two of my friends have bought it and both are very happy with the camera. One is a long time Olympus MFT user. He sold his E-M1X bodies and replaced them with two OM-1 bodies. The other friend is new to MFT. He is testing the OM-1 and several Oly lenses to use as a smaller/lighter supplement or alternative to his Canon R5 system.

Gary

Knorp

Still soldiering on with my EM1 MkIII and G9. Biding my time for the OM-1 MkII or even the MkIII ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The OM-1 is undoubtedly a great camera. Unfortunately, the menu systems of Olympus and Panasonic are too different for me to want to deal with both, so I stick with Panasonic. I just acquired a G9 in addition to my two GX8 and single G85 bodies. The G9 is a rather impressive camera too, not least is the video AF much better than its reputation.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I ever would go back into m43 the OM-1 would be the camera to go for me.

But meanwhile I am a happy Nikon Z user :cool:

Godfrey

Still have my E-1 and E-M1 bodies, HG 11-22, 50-200, ZD 35 Macro, and ZD 25 lenses, plus a bunch of E and EM System accessories. If I used them more, an OM-1 would be a fitting addition to that kit.

But it's not the system that I use very much these days, so I'll enjoy reading about it and seeing the photos all'y'all make with it. :)

G