The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P45+users... anybody upgrading from it, and why ?

archivue

From what i've read, the IQ180 seems really good, but i just can't afford it by a wide margin...

then comes the P45+ whit is long exposure capabilities...

what are the cons of this back ?

is anybody here made a trade in from it and why ?

thanks

Steve Hendrix

From what i've read, the IQ180 seems really good, but i just can't afford it by a wide margin...

then comes the P45+ whit is long exposure capabilities...

what are the cons of this back ?

is anybody here made a trade in from it and why ?

thanks

Directly compared to the P45+, the obvious con is the limited long exposure. I can say we have taken in a bunch of P45+ units in trade towards the IQ180. There have been frank discussions with each upgrader about the long exposure limits compared to the P45+. So, the takeaway is that any P45+ upgrader has determined either that:

*they don't use long exposure past 30-40 seconds frequently enough to value that in the P45+

*or the advantages of the IQ180 outweigh the long exposure advantage of the P45+

(both reasons kind of the same thing)

Cost of upgrade aside, I don't see much else that would merit not upgrading besides the long exposure limit. There's a very long list of advantages against very few disadvantages when comparing the two.

Steve Hendrix

etrump

I looked at a years worth of images taken with the p45 before upgrading to the p65 and had only a handful that were over the 60 second exposure limitation. It was an easy decision to use my backup camera for those (d3x). The main benefits to me were the sharper sensor, better noise characteristics, sensor+.

f8orbust

Please, everyone - upgrade. That way, when Phase release the IQ backs with the next generation of sensors, say in 12 - 18 months (called IQ+ backs perhaps), you'll all upgrade again (oh yes you will) and that way the rest of us can get a shot at buying your used IQ backs.

That said, I would miss the long exposure capability of my P45+ - so that's probably not an option for me :cry:

archivue

is an image shoot with the IQ180 at is limit "long exposure" (1 min i think) show less or more noise than the same image shoot with a p45+ ?

same question comparing P65+ vs P45+ ...

thanks