The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ2 Series WiFi Bug with iOS7

Steve Hendrix

We've discovered a bug with the recently released iOS 7 and the Phase One IQ2 Series. However, we have a workaround while Phase One works to resolves this permanently:

https://captureintegration.com/ios-7-the-iq2-ad-hoc-capture-pilot-quick-fix/

The below link may also be helpful for anyone using Capture Pilot, and especially those just starting out with IQ2 series digital backs and setting up WiFi connections:

https://captureintegration.com/the-most-overlooked-step-when-setting-up-capture-pilot/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

MILESF

Steve,

Thanks. I suddenly found my iPad not working with my IQ260 after installing IoS7 and your workaround has provided a fix for the time being. It was 3300 for the port that was the final piece of the jigsaw that i needed.

malmac

Steve

While we are talking Capture Pilot.

I have an IQ180 back which I have started to shoot tethered -

Can the IQ180 record the image to the CF card as well as the laptop? Mine seems to default to only saving the images to the capture1 session.

Thanks in advance.

Mal

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Steve
I have an IQ180 back which I have started to shoot tethered -

Can the IQ180 record the image to the CF card as well as the laptop? Mine seems to default to only saving the images to the capture1 session.
You can record to the computer, or the cf card, but not both simultaneously.

yatlee

I just got a new ipad air and tried connecting to iq260 following the instruction provided by Doug above. When I click on the server created and got a screen with either cancel or log in as options. However, click either one doesn't get me into the IQ back. Please help.

Paul2660

I also followed the CI instructions, but my ipad will never connect to the "new" server you create, however if you wait long enough most times the actual Phase One back shows back up above the one you created, and you can connect to it. This does not work 100% of the time and if you don't get it to work after 2 or so attempts, try either reboot the camera (I always try this first since it's faster) or powering the ipad on and off.

Also make sure that bluetooth is turned off under settings.

IMO this is a mess and should be fixed, should have been caught long before iOS7 was released. The way iOS7 defines the Phase One back is totally different that how iOS6 did i.e. iOS6 it's a server, iOS7 it's a device.

Paul Caldwell

rupho

Yat ,
I can confirm that CI method works for the IPad air on the latest iOS, I had problems though , the iPad does not recognize the IQ easily and it took some time for it to show up as a DEVICE , please note it's not a network anylonger.
Feel free to give me a ring if your still having problems

I might not retire my iPad 1 after all. Retina loading takes longer it seems

I really hope phase can update their software so if can generate jpegs of the RAW and keep them in the iPad after transferring just like canon does with their WFTExx

Grischa
I just got a new ipad air and tried connecting to iq260 following the instruction provided by Doug above. When I click on the server created and got a screen with either cancel or log in as options. However, click either one doesn't get me into the IQ back. Please help.

yatlee

Thanks Grischa and Paul,

I guess I will hold off and wait for a fix from Phase One. I hope this is not going to turn into another USB 3.0 debacle.

Paul2660

I don't want to come off as a basher of Phase or dealers, but to be totally honest, this entire issue should have never happened. This may seem like a rant and in part it is. This issue shouldn't have happened.

Phase's basic response is don't upgrade to iOS7. Well, that really is not an answer, try to get support on an ipad from Apple, what is the first thing that they will ask, "are you running the latest version of iOS?" I happen to use my ipad for other applications, like point of sale terminal apps, they have to stay current or you will not get any support from the vendor. If you are not taking credit cards via some type of terminal app then most customers will get pretty wary of you. Most terminal app vendors that are PCI compliant, will want to use the most current version/form of their software, net an ipad or iphone. The iphone screen does not lend itself to signatures the ipad is much better here. BTW if you run itunes, (most people do) and if you have anything on your ipad, and need help, Apple will again ask that you are at iOS7. Just went through that also.

I also feel that Phase was not even aware of this until CI posted their temp fix. The Phase response is a direct copy of the instructions from CI. BTW these instructions don't work for me. As I posted before I have never been able to connect via the "new" server but about 70% to 80% of the time eventually the actual Phase One server name re-appears and then I can connect. Others have been successful with the CI instruction, my point being is that they don't work 100% of the time. This also makes me wonder if some 260's have different wireless hardware on the controller cards. I know from past ownership of a P45+ there were several different controller cards used and some (mine included) would not get to 1 hour exposures and had to be changed out.

Wifi still works fine with iOS6 the old way on my iphone, but the iphone doesn't seem to have the same battery life as a ipad and after a bit of use I can see the battery drop. ipad use of battery is much better, plus the screen difference between the phone and back is not that much.

The next answer is we recommend a ipad mini. Well try using a ipad mini outdoors, if you think the ipad is hard, the mini is basically a mirror outdoors. It might be possible to shield it at times but it's still very hard to use. However most mini's now on the shelves have iOS7 on them. You cannot go back level. I was going to try and pick up a mini (new) but locally at both Apple store and others all had the newer OS installed.

iOS7 is not new, it's been out for developers of apps (Like Phase One) since around April or May of 2013, before the IQ2 backs ever shipped. This one should have been caught.

As pointed out in other posts Apple changed the fundamental way a device like the Phase One back is seen by the OS, it's no long a server, but a device and the logic seems to be totally different.

Sure you can go out and purchase a wifi mobile hotspot like has been posted, but that's not free and costs a monthly fee. You can also work the back very easily with a airport but that requires AC power. As far as I know you can't even power the airport via USB, which would make this a bit easier as I could use my macbook air.

Wifi standards be what they are, I am very concerned that this very well be as good as it gets as it might require a chip change out or other piece of hardware to make this work the way it should.

Wifi was something that I at first felt was "just a neat thing: until I started to use it. With a tech camera it's darn nice to be able to have the camera in a odd position or angle, and not have to bend over and check the LCD. Plus with the LCD for me to check anything it's glasses off, my older eyes just can't see anything without. On the ipad the view is much easier even though it's still not optimized for the retina display (more than likely will never be).

Hopefully Phase will resolve this without having to make a controller card change like they did in the history of the P45+ to get to 1 hour exposures. Most people have forgotten that one, but I had one of the P45+'s that needed the other card. Phase took care of that situation 100%, I only hope that they come through on this.

Paul Caldwell