The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If this is really the Nex-7

Jonas

It's a good thing for a right eye guy as me as well, I which my Nex 5 was a bit bigger, something more substantial to hold. I wonder if the Nex-7 LCD is the same size or if they have have made it a little smaller? I can easily live with a smaller version as long as the resolution is the same.

/Jonas

monza

supposedly 3 inch LCD:

NEX-7
24,3 Exmor HD sensor
100-16.000 ISO
1200 zone metering
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
10 fps
20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body

douglasf13

Yeah, I beef up my NEX-5 a little bit with a Ciesta leather half-case, in order to make the grip a little bigger, and it looks like the NEX-7 isn't much bigger than that.

If all of these rumored specs are true, I won't be able to resist this little camera.

douglasf13

I've got to be honest, if the design of the NEX-7 that we've been seeing is legit, I'm having a hard time imagining even a fictional EVF-based camera that would be better. Remarkably good job by Sony, if true.

If those specs are true, this camera is maybe only a 135 sensor away from a dream camera for me (and I don't expect Sony to leave aps-c with NEX anytime soon.) I'll make due with aps-c.

aleksanderpolo

The EVF and hotshoe is a great addition, hopefully they have all the manual control at the back. On SAR it is said that it will be available in Sept.

LizaWitz

Right now, I'm on the fence. I got the NEX-5 in 2010, so not due for another camera until 2012. However, the NEX-7 is a big step forward in video.

But, dammit, I want GPS. EVF, 60fps and 28Mbps, are all great. I'd really appreciate the EVF on bright days.

But who has time to geotag all these photos? And who here doesn't have way more than a thousand photos? I'm at something like 20,000 photos in my library, and less than a tenth of a percent are geotagged. Who has the time to tag them after the fact (especially with the hard to use tools in aperture?)

Its high time people like Sony built GPS into these cameras. It doesn't need to do anything fancy, just tag the photo.

If an iPhone can do it, the camera certainly should!

So, I'm hoping the rumors are wrong and it has all the above, plus a GPS. Then its a done deal.

Jim DE

Built in flash and universal hotshoe????

I don't see that in the pic ..... Looks like a Minolta/ Sony hotshoe and if it has a built in flash I can't for sure see it's location unless it is a pop up over on the EVF side.

Guess we will know for sure very soon but I doubt if Sony will abandon their dedicated hotshoe mount when they don't have too.

D

drxcm

if the specs and rumors are true, I will buy this in a heartbeat. Seems like the perfect platform for legacy lenses.

LizaWitz

Another thing about the megapixels-- I'm a one-lens shooter, and the 18-200 gives me enough range while keeping the whole rig small enough that it can live in my coat pocket. Higher megapixels allows me to effectively extend the zoom range of the lens by cropping. On the other hand, the NEX-7 is a bit bigger, but looks like it wouldn't be too big, if I got a slightly bigger coat pocket. On the third hand, I'm not supposed to buy until 2012. On the fourth hand, I likely won't have a chance to buy the NEX-7 until spring 2012 anyway.

Jim, here's the rumored full spec list. The door labeled #5 in the picture douglas posted could be a popup flash, or it could be covering the NEX style accessory port.

Looking at the picture of the front of the camera, it looks like they might have done away with the accessory port system on the NEX... which being bigger might also have--- I can desperately hope-- mic in and audio monitor out.

NEX-7
24,3 Exmor HD sensor
100-16.000 ISO
1200 zone metering
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
10 fps
20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body

LizaWitz

Oh, Just noticed #4 in the picture above has a dedicated flash button. Dunno if that confirms its a built in flash, or not, but it seems odd to have a dedicated button for a function that might not be attached to the camera.

Jim DE

Thanks guy's .... I hadn't seen that photo before........ That might mean wireless remote function will work on sony/minolta flashes with it having a pop up

segedi

Happy I've waited before diving into this format. Looking forward to using some M lenses on this!

hot

Hmmmm .... I do not need this $999 lens ... body for $300 is enough :)
Now you get NEX5 body for $299 ... so NEX7 sure will be available for 399-499.

Quentin_Bargate

The NEX-7 is going to retail for around $1,000-$1,200 USD if my information is correct.
Good value for the specs.

Nearly the perfect camera for day to day work, if it works as billed. People talk about it as a "walkaround" camera, but with 24mp and Zeiss glass, it could be stretched far further. I already use my Nex-5 more than I envisaged I would.

Quentin

douglasf13

Good value for the specs.

Nearly the perfect camera for day to day work, if it works as billed. People talk about it as a "walkaround" camera, but with 24mp and Zeiss glass, it could be stretched far further. I already use my Nex-5 more than I envisaged I would.

Quentin
Yeah, if the NEX-7 can get close to the output of my A900, I'll be a really happy camper. The sensor size difference is the critical issue, but I'm hoping that the 3 years newer sensor tech makes up for the difference.