Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

  1. #1
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Hi !

    I have the possibility to buy a mint Leica Hektor 135/4.5 (not the black one unfortunately), but I am a little worried about fitting it to the G1

    It is said to have M-mount, which means it was for viewfinder cameras, right ?
    I read sometimes that that implies that it will not focus to infinity ??
    Would that apply to the G1 as well, or only to true reflex cameras ??

    And, I found lots of adaptors for M to 4/3 in the adaptorlist.
    Which one(s) do you recommend ?

    Would anybody here have pics from the combination Hektor - G1?

    Thanks for your input !
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  2. #2
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    All you need to do is Google and you'll find plenty of info (looks like a standard M mount). Here's one link to the most renowned photographers of all time: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/135mm-f45.htm

    Cheers

    Ray

  3. #3
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Thanks for your input, Ray.

    I have read a bit about this lens, and it will (hopefully) do what I expect : deliver beautifull bokeh. I'm not looking for absolute sharpness for this lens, quite the contrary

    But my concern is more about if and how to combine it with the G1.
    Especially, the adaptor and the focus range ...

    So, if any user here has info on that ...

    C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  4. #4
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Well, if it's a standard M mount, then with the right adapter, you won't have a problem. I have a number of Voigtlander lenses and use a Voigtlander M mount adapter with my Pen, so if you get one of these, it will work 100%. There are other similar and cheaper adapters around as well and they seem to be OK.

    Cheers

    Ray

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Would anybody here have pics from the combination Hektor - G1?
    I showed this one a long time ago (~1 year ago) (Mounted using the first m4/3rds to Leica adapter):


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Just to add- the infinity focus problems are only with reflex cameras. The flange to sensor distance of Micro 4/3 is shorter than Leica M mount, so no worries.

    Wide angle rangefinder (and C-Mount) lenses tend to have some smearing at the edges, but not normal and telephoto lenses. So I think if you have a good adapter you should get perfect results with this on a G1 (of course with 2x crop.)

  7. #7
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
    So I think if you have a good adapter you should get perfect results with this on a G1 (of course with 2x crop.)
    It's not a crop, it's simply a 2x effective increase in the focal length, from that stated on the lens, and subsequent narrowing of the field of view.

    Cheers

    Ray

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    It is a crop. There is no increase of focal length.

    BTW, now, I prefer the pen F 150/4 over the Hektor.

    The 100/3.5 Pen F lens is even a better choice when compactness/light weightedness is a factor.

  9. #9
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It is a crop. There is no increase of focal length.

    BTW, now, I prefer the pen F 150/4 over the Hektor.

    The 100/3.5 Pen F lens is even a better choice when compactness/light weightedness is a factor.
    It makes much more sense, is easier to understand and is more accurate, to say that the effective focal length doubles (when using lenses designed for 35mm film on 4/3s). There is a narrowing of the angle of view, equivalent to that of a lens with an effective focal length of twice the actual lens focal length, it's not a 2x crop. The sensor also is not cropped, it is what it is.

    This is the only way that I've found for many people to actually understand what effect using lenses designed for 35mm has when used on 4/3s. Then again, some people refuse to look at it this way and I often feel that I'm... .

    Cheers

    Ray

  10. #10
    Senior Member apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Not sure if this adds anything, but I tested mine out briefly before I sent it out for a thorough overhaul and it seemed to work nicely on the G1. However, I have the M39 version, and I am using a m39 - c-mount adapter to connect it to the Hawk c-mount adapter on the G1.

    I also got the impression that it is not exactly a crisp picture but I wanted to wait with my final judgement until after cleaning it. While I picked this one up on ebay, it has sentimental value in the way that I was born in Wetzlar and almost everyone in my family has worked for the original Leitz company in Wetzlar at some point in their lives. That particular lens was made in 1938, the year my mother was born and my Grandfather worked in the camera dep. of Leitz.

    Stefan

  11. #11
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Not sure if this adds anything, but I tested mine out briefly before I sent it out for a thorough overhaul and it seemed to work nicely on the G1. However, I have the M39 version, and I am using a m39 - c-mount adapter to connect it to the Hawk c-mount adapter on the G1.

    I also got the impression that it is not exactly a crisp picture but I wanted to wait with my final judgement until after cleaning it. While I picked this one up on ebay, it has sentimental value in the way that I was born in Wetzlar and almost everyone in my family has worked for the original Leitz company in Wetzlar at some point in their lives. That particular lens was made in 1938, the year my mother was born and my Grandfather worked in the camera dep. of Leitz.

    Stefan
    If it was the worst ever lens made by Leitz, that's good enough reason to own one regardless. Not many can claim that sort of association with any product.

    Cheers

    Ray

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    When I explain it to people, I use the same terminology- equivalent or effective focal length. Whether it makes more sense, I would say it does to a beginner. Is it more 'accurate'? I don't think so- it's a good shortcut. In OP's case, it was quicker for me to type 'crop factor' because I was pretty certain he already was aware of it.

    The term 'crop' is not referring to cropping the sensor, but the image circle of the lens (though I guess you probably knew this is what I meant.)

    Certain photographic concepts make more sense IMO when you get beyond just using 'equivalent' FOV and deal with the actual focal lengths, such as DOF.

    Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    It makes much more sense, is easier to understand and is more accurate, to say that the effective focal length doubles (when using lenses designed for 35mm film on 4/3s). There is a narrowing of the angle of view, equivalent to that of a lens with an effective focal length of twice the actual lens focal length, it's not a 2x crop. The sensor also is not cropped, it is what it is.

    This is the only way that I've found for many people to actually understand what effect using lenses designed for 35mm has when used on 4/3s. Then again, some people refuse to look at it this way and I often feel that I'm... .

    Cheers

    Ray

  13. #13
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
    When I explain it to people, I use the same terminology- equivalent or effective focal length. Whether it makes more sense, I would say it does to a beginner. Is it more 'accurate'? I don't think so- it's a good shortcut. In OP's case, it was quicker for me to type 'crop factor' because I was pretty certain he already was aware of it.

    The term 'crop' is not referring to cropping the sensor, but the image circle of the lens (though I guess you probably knew this is what I meant.)

    Certain photographic concepts make more sense IMO when you get beyond just using 'equivalent' FOV and deal with the actual focal lengths, such as DOF.
    Yes, I knew what you meant, but I've found that talking to even reasonably knowledgable photographers in terms of effective focal length makes things easier to understand; that applies whether you're talking about 4/3s, APS or even MF sensors.

    The confusing thing when you say you're doing a 2x crop, of a larger image circle, isn't something intuitive to comprehend, because most people associate 2x with magnifying things - two times.

    DoF becomes another issue altogether, because the DoF doesn't remain the same, or become shallower, when using the same focal length lens with smaller sensors.

    Then there is the age old debate about whether the f stop of a lens changes when used with different sized sensors.

    Cheers

    Ray

  14. #14
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    A lens doesn't magicaly change focal lengths when mounted on a medium format, 35mm or 4/3rds body. That's obvious, because whilst mounting the lens to the camera, the lens itself does not melt & change to become something else. In the same way, a 12 inch ruler does not become 24 inches long when viewed close to one's nose, nor does it become 3 inches long when viewed from down the street.

    Nor does a lens become faster & slower depending upon the body it's mounted to. That's simply not a debatable topic at all - people who do debate such things are poorly informed.

    To me, it's always been easier to explain the field of view change for a given lens from a 35mm body to a 4/3rds (or whatever) body in terms of a crop. Draw a rectangle roughly the size of a 35mm frame, draw a little stick figure & a tree inside it, then draw another frame within it to represent the 4/3rds frame. The concept is really clear that way, and doesn't fool people into thinking that their equipment possesses special magic morphing powers that are better left to Manga comics :-)

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Hektor 135/4.5 on G1

    Hi Ray,

    As Kai says, things start to get sticky when you use the 'equivalent focal length' term with these other details.

    For example, DOF doesn't change at all if you are referring to actual focal length, regardless of the sensor size. The image characteristics of the lens does not vary depending on the sensor. DOF only changes when you refer to 'equivalent focal length'.

    I still do the 2x shortcut in my head, because I am used to thinking in terms of 35mm full frame (like most of us are). But I had to let go of it at one point to better grasp DOF of different lenses. In terms of DOF, you don't want to use 'equivalent' because DOF actually does not change with different sensor sizes. So it's very much 6 of one, half dozen of the other, once you go beyond the pure snapshooter mentality and really want to understand more.

    Of course, we're all batting around the same stuff here anyway.

    Cheers


    Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    DoF becomes another issue altogether, because the DoF doesn't remain the same, or become shallower, when using the same focal length lens with smaller sensors.

    Then there is the age old debate about whether the f stop of a lens changes when used with different sized sensors.

    Cheers

    Ray

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •