The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

Terry

I would say cool it so I don't have to lock my first thread!

Not worried about the political differences or differences in opinion (I've been pretty open about this topic) it is the "everyone has one" type comment that is uncalled for.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Does anyone have the finder for the GF1?
I mean the one for the 20mm not the EVF.

That lens is great and I was wondering how the camera is with the finder.
Don

V

Vivek

.. I suspect there are more than just one person that has buyers remorse after getting this camera.

If you have followed this board and the BS section (BS = Buy/Sell :)) you have the answer to that. :)

I wish Oly would come up something competitive. I doubt they have the drive or the capability.

I sincerely hope they would prove my thinking wrong.:)

Diane B

Does anyone have the finder for the GF1?
I mean the one for the 20mm not the EVF.

That lens is great and I was wondering how the camera is with the finder.
Don
If you mean a Panny finder for the 20, there is only the EVF. The alternatives we have brought up are things like my Voigtlander 35mm VF, but they are not Panny's finders. Oly has a finder for the 17 f/2.8, but Panasonic went the EVF route only.

Diane

Brian Mosley

If you have followed this board and the BS section (BS = Buy/Sell :)) you have the answer to that. :)

I wish Oly would come up something competitive. I doubt they have the drive or the capability.

I sincerely hope they would prove my thinking wrong.:)
Hi Vivek, apart from HG/SHG lenses (and we do have the option of Panasonic/Leica lenses for m4/3rds) - what would Olympus need to do with the E-P1 to make it competitive for you?

I'm really interested, because apart from the overhyped CDAF speed difference, I'm struggling to see what's missing?

Cheers

Brian

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Brian,
I am one of the people that had the E-P1 and sold it quickly. I haven't said much because I don't want to sound like I'm knocking a camera that other people are enjoying.
Personally, I mostly shoot manual focus lenses, so the speed of the AF was not a factor in my decision. I just could not manual focus in bright sun with the E-P1. I could not tolerate the fact that manual focus assist required that extra button press.
I look forward to the next generation. I hope it has a removable EVF and a more thought-out manual focus assist.
On the plus side, I love the Oly colors and welcomed IS. The little 17 f/2.8 was a sharp lens... (but it was a little slow and the build seemed flimsy).

barjohn

I will probably follow suit and sell my E-P1 for the same reason in that manual focus is poorly thought out and in bright sunlight the LCD is impossible to use so I just point and shoot. I will definitely miss the in body IS and the JPGs out of the camera are really good, much better than the ones from the G1 both in color and sharpness. The big Panny negative is the lack of in body IS, the down grade in the EVF (give me the better one even if it costs more) and the lack of .RW2 support in C1 or Bibble Pro. It seems only LR has any support and when it comes to PP it seems to do the worst job IMHO.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek, apart from HG/SHG lenses (and we do have the option of Panasonic/Leica lenses for m4/3rds) - what would Olympus need to do with the E-P1 to make it competitive for you?

I'm really interested, because apart from the overhyped CDAF speed difference, I'm struggling to see what's missing?

Cheers

Brian
Brian, I was one of those who was eagerly anticipating the Oly m4/3rds and was bitterly disappointed to see what was under that curtain.

What was missing for me:

1. A decent quality TFT screen (Oly did not understand that the whole live view depends on it and can not throw in a E-410 class TFT screen on the back of a m4/3rds camera. Full credit to Panasonic!)

2. Swivel/articulating TFT. (Again, Full credit to Panasonic!:thumbs:)

3. A decent EVF in place of video feature. (Yet again, Full credit to Panasonic!:thumbs:)

These would have done it for me in a Oly m4/3rds cam.

In comparison, the TFT screen and the EVF alone is worth more the street prices of a Panasonic G1.

(I was also surprised, given oly's track record of "a camera a month", that they did not come up with several different models with different price tags.)

Matching colored straps and camera bags? I think those are best left to the Luigis and the Zhous or HelloKitty.

Now, the image quality, as you point out in this thread, is better in an E-P1 than a G1. This is admirable.

It would have been much appreciated had it been designed as a studio camera.

The key: TFT and EVF for a mirrorless cam using live view. If anyone falls short on that, no art filters will be help.

I forgot to add: Olympus can learn a thing or two from Panasonic on how to make a lens!:eek:

Amazing as it sounds, the great Olympus with all its great reputation on "optics" is beaten hands down by a potential camera maker! This is not considering the auto focus aspect.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

OK, I understand - you wanted a G1 competitor... when the E-P1 was released, I had this strange idea that Olympus and Panasonic were cooperating on a successful launch of m4/3rds, with the arrival of the GF1 - a direct competitor to the E-P1 it looks like we're in for some exciting competition - a very good thing imho... can't wait for a more expensive m4/3rds cam from Olympus.

Cheers

Brian

iiiNelson

My opinion is that I don get why the GF1 and the EP-1 are both more significantly (for what the cameras are) expensive than the G1 and they both seem to have scaled back on features (save for video that I don't care about.)

I don't want a camera that's more expensive unless it actually adds something to improve IQ and maybe gives us weather sealing. Nothing else really matters beyond the picture taking ability. If it's using the same sensor I don't see how they can justify a huge jump in price outside of including a premium optic i.e. GH1.

photoSmart42

My opinion is that I don get why the GF1 and the EP-1 are both more significantly (for what the cameras are) expensive than the G1 and they both seem to have scaled back on features (save for video that I don't care about.)

I don't want a camera that's more expensive unless it actually adds something to improve IQ and maybe gives us weather sealing. Nothing else really matters beyond the picture taking ability. If it's using the same sensor I don't see how they can justify a huge jump in price outside of including a premium optic i.e. GH1.
Agreed, but I suspect that's why Pana discontinued the G1 so it doesn't compete directly with the GF-1. So in terms of manufacturer models, the GF-1 fits below the GH-1. The high prices also reflect initial supply and demand, and early adopters always end up paying the premium price for a new product. Prices should come down over time.

V

Vivek

OK, I understand - you wanted a G1 competitor... when the E-P1 was released, I had this strange idea that Olympus and Panasonic were cooperating on a successful launch of m4/3rds, with the arrival of the GF1 - a direct competitor to the E-P1 it looks like we're in for some exciting competition - a very good thing imho... can't wait for a more expensive m4/3rds cam from Olympus.

Cheers

Brian

I do not think Olympus have to worry about Panasonic or vice versa. Once (if) Sony cams with EXMOR-R sensors hit the market, for example, the whole of m4/3rds- blind or with whatever view finders, will all look like toy cams.

Even a Ricoh cam with an APS-C sized CMOS sensor would do it, no need for the EXMOR-R or something fancy like that.

More expensive Olympus camera? Yeah, that will hammer yet another nail in the coffin.

Diane B

Agreed, but I suspect that's why Pana discontinued the G1 so it doesn't compete directly with the GF-1. So in terms of manufacturer models, the GF-1 fits below the GH-1. The high prices also reflect initial supply and demand, and early adopters always end up paying the premium price for a new product. Prices should come down over time.
Interestingly enough when I bought my G1 people were complaining about it being too expensive. I didn't think it was--I paid $500 for the G9 as an early adopter and $530 for the G1--with a very good lens (from an Ebay auction but lots of us bought them around that price).

Nothing has been said, that I know of, about the G1 being discontinued and its still available most every place, but it does make sense to have the GF1 sit below the GH1. People seem determined to compare the GH1 with the lower tier of DSLRs but I didn't and don't really see them as apples/apples. The GH1 in particular seems unique and the E-P1 and GF1 are variants on the theme, but offer other options (primarily the form). Then both of these were offered with pancake lenses which appealed to people that might not have bought into the m4/3rds.

All in all, prices don't seem outrageous for most of the system--a bit higher than some, but not out of line for a new system--and--as said, supply and demand (though that seems a bit manipulated).

Diane

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
If you mean a Panny finder for the 20, there is only the EVF. The alternatives we have brought up are things like my Voigtlander 35mm VF, but they are not Panny's finders. Oly has a finder for the 17 f/2.8, but Panasonic went the EVF route only.

Diane
Diane,
Thanks. I thought maybe they'd make a finder for the lens.
I have the 17 and finder but that 20mm is really a great lens.
With no finder it's useless to me.

Thanks again....shooter

Diane B

Diane,
Thanks. I thought maybe they'd make a finder for the lens.
I have the 17 and finder but that 20mm is really a great lens.
With no finder it's useless to me.

Thanks again....shooter
There are lots of finders available that will work for that FL. My CV 35mm works just great for 17 and 20 (bright lines for 35 which is almost perfect for 17). There are others also. Godfrey mentioned one the other day--can't remember what it was though.