The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone bought a GF-1 with the "optional" EVF?

M

maxpiz

I use mine mostly with the Konica 40 f/1.8 and FD 35 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.8. I have no issues at all with composing and do manual focus with the EVF, not the LCD.

To use the magnification with MF lenses, you set 'shoot w/o lens' in the menu--and leave it. Then---you just set your aperture on the lens, let the camera meter, etc. and shoot normally. To use the magnification, you push/click the dial and it immediately switches to the magnification--where you can increase it to 10X by dialing up. Very easy. You can't use the LCD/EVF back and forth as you can with the G1/GH1. You just press a button the side of the EVF to return to the LCD--other than that--nothing else to do.

I like it--do I like it as much as the G1? No--but it works okay and I use it 95% of the time. Be sure you set your diopter on the EVF. And--if you want to use the EVF at an angle, you just 'click' it up. There's just a bit of resistance that holds it in place.

Diane
Many thanks, Diane!
Yes, I already use the display LCD for manual focusing with my Pentax M 50mm F1.7 lens and its adapter. But I needed to be reassured about the smooth operation even in the viewfinder EVF, and you were very helpful.:)

Diane B

Maxpix,

There are some that don't feel they can MF with the EVF. I don't feel I can MF without using the MF assist (magnification) with this EVF-where I can often MF with the G1's without magnification (with some lenses). But--nonetheless, for me its quite usable-

nugat

I have the EVF for GF1 and find it really useful. It is smaller than any optical attachment (like the 17mm on EP1) and looks way smaller than the EVF on EP2. The quality is nowhwere near G1--but that's world class. Remember G1 is second in FOV among FULL FRAME cameras after Canon D1. Sony A900 is third. Also resolution on GF1 is nothing to write home about. But it does the job, especially with AF lens like the 45mm Elmarit and manual glass and has all the important info on the display too . I use it half of the time...

A

alanwf

I use it pretty much all the time, except on a tripod when the LCD would be fine (assuming I have my reading glasses!). I find it very usable.

My one issue isn't the lower resolution, (because it's high enough to let me see when something snaps into focus with the magnification), it's the smallness of the eyecup. I find myself needing to shield it with my left hand very often, and would love a larger, slip on eyecup. (Or even better, a replacement eyecup.)

Alan

jcmarney

I'm in the same boat with the viewfinder on order.

I think the engineers will continue to work on the technology. This quote was from the GF1 preview "We understand the downgrade from the G1/GH1 (apparently the engineers did try, but it proved impossible to make a removable version)". I an't see them giving up or being satisfied with the current removable one given how well they did on the G1/GH1 version. The port design seems pretty universal.

The camera body I sill like more than the micro 4/3 out today is the Diglux 2/LC1 and I would still welcome a m4/3 variant with EVF

I've been wishing they'd update th Digilux 2 for years. That lens and handling are second to none, just needs a more modern sensor.