Site Sponsors

Thread: GF1 G1 question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 G1 question

I own the G1 and love it. And to me the camera is quite unobtrusive (at least compared with beasts like the D700 or D300 and the ilk). I really like the superb EVF and during some occasions I have found the articulating LCD really handy.

As I understand it the G1 and GF1 have the same sensor.

Obvious size comparisons aside (and excluding the ability to shoot HD movies), are there any differences in image quality...JPEG or RAW?

(I know the GF1 also offers a 1:1 aspect ratio but I'm assuming that's merely a software thing and has nothing to do with ultimate image quality.)

The reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about just getting the 40mm f1.7 pancake and having a blast with it. Perhaps mating it with the 45mm f2.8 (90mm Elmarit equiv?) or the Zuiko f2 50mm as my kit. (The 14-45 is useful but I find it too slow most of the time)

Thanks.
    Last edited by peterb; 21st October 2009 at 10:04.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF1 G1 question

Peter,

I don't really see an IQ difference, just the physical differences, which I like. I'm using the 20, and my CV 50mm f1.5 and 90mm f3.5 lenses. Love it!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Nor do I--though I haven't shot the same subject with both and same lens, but it does seem enough the same that one wouldn't know the difference. I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that you are talking about getting those lenses to use on the G1. I've shot with the G1/20 (I think that's the one you meant--probably because people keep saying it has 35mm FF FOV of 40) and like it very much.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I only spent half a day with my GF1 prior to shipping it off to Mike Johnston earlier this month, but I have since spent quite a bit of time comparing the images I captured with both cameras using the same 14-50 Leica D-series lens swapped between them and I have not been able to pinpoint any significant differences in image quality.

On the one hand, this is a relief because I'm happy with the G1's performance overall, but on the other hand, it suggests Panasonic hasn't managed to improve upon things much during the intervening period of time. Hmm...