Landscape photos from 2-3cm.

Zeiss Luminar 25mm. Image magnification 1:1.6

Pecan shell.

Maple leaf.

White garden stone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Macro

Really some great macro shots here....inspires me to go even closer in the future! I'm afraid I don't have anything that would come close to 1x magnification. Now I've got a target to shoot for!

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finding the "right target" is always a challenge.

Here are two shots of a baby Aphid which was ~0.5mm (length wise). A dead mature Aphid next to the live baby.

35mm Macro Nikkor

Upclose on its own.

16mm Zeiss Luminar
    Last edited by Vivek; 1st December 2009 at 15:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! Respect!!! what great sharp and clear shots of such a tiny object! I know from experience you can hardly (not) see them with your own eyes :-) So only the spot is a great achievement.

Post Thanks / Like

Osmoglossum pulchellum orchid - Leica Elmarit 60mm/2.8 on Panasonic G1
    ISO=100 - Developed in Raw Therapee - Resized in gimp

Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Shot with G1, extension tubes & Minolta 55/1.7

Steel dust caught on a magnet

Onion skin

Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got my RJ adapter modified to work with the older FD/FL lenses! What a nightmare! After buying a second RJ adapter (first one got lost in the mail back to China for a return - $100 down the drain there...) I still had to purchase an FL 2x and swap the adapter plate, then modify it to match the proper clocking. Oh well.

Anyway, finally took my first macro shot with the G1 and the Tokina lens I bought a few months back. It's a pretty blue rock (azurite?) I bought in the art village down the street a few days ago. Here it is:

Go easy on me =). I definitely need a focusing rail as quite a few of the shots I took were blurry, and I need some bigger lights to take faster shutter speed shots. I have to say this is a really nice lens, and I think I'll be very happy with it in the long run. Love the narrow depth of focus!

My next step is to attempt a composite image of the same rock to capture the entire piece in focus. That, and I need to come up with a nice digital frame in PS with a cool sig so I can try and be just like the rest of you pros whose photos I love here =).

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice photo, thanks for sharing the story, too.

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    My next step is to attempt a composite image of the same rock to capture the entire piece in focus. That, and I need to come up with a nice digital frame in PS with a cool sig so I can try and be just like the rest of you pros whose photos I love here =).
    I am on the lookout for such a technique, too, but have not yet had the time to study it. There are a lot of stacked shots and a lively discussion on

http://www.photomacrography.net/

Perhaps you will find some useful information there.

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    Very nice photo, thanks for sharing the story, too.

I am on the lookout for such a technique, too, but have not yet had the time to study it. There are a lot of stacked shots and a lively discussion on

http://www.photomacrography.net/

Perhaps you will find some useful information there.

Cheers
    Peter
    Thanks, Peter! I've been studying that site for the past few months as well, and definitely getting a bunch of ideas for stacked shots from them, as well as from the rest of the web. I'll post my results once I get a successful stack going. Another reason for a focusing rail I can fine-tune in small increments. I think there are some on eBay that I'll look at, but I welcome any suggestions on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason for a focusing rail I can fine-tune in small increments. I think there are some on eBay that I'll look at, but I welcome any suggestions on that.
    I have shown a setup with a focusing rail on

http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...er=asc&start=0

I got it on ebay from China for around $40 +s/h and I am quit satisfied with it.

Cheers Peter
    Peter Werner

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason for a focusing rail I can fine-tune in small increments. I think there are some on eBay that I'll look at, but I welcome any suggestions on that.

Both my son & I got rails at the following link & they work like a charm. I can stop down to f16 & take several second exposures to get good DOF & still have good image quality.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9430
    Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

photosmart, My 2 cents: Keep the area closest to the camera in focus. You can always reorient specimens like this to get the best angle, light, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    photosmart, My 2 cents: Keep the area closest to the camera in focus. You can always reorient specimens like this to get the best angle, light, etc.
    Thanks, Vivek! I was actually going for that effect. I wanted to play around with the focus plane and see how narrow it was by isolating the center of the rock to get everything else OOF. I'll keep playing around with different perspectives and with different effects as I learn to do this so I can get a feel for what looks good and what doesn't. =)

Post Thanks / Like

Acorn - G1 + Olympus 35/3.5 macro, f/8, 4 sec, ISO 100
    Bob Trancho

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

this pic is the result of a focusstack of 20 shots, spaced 2 mm between shots. I wanted to have the front flower in sharp focus, and the back flower OOF.

G1 with Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 @ f4 on this focusing rail :

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-way-Macro-Shot...item3a55126da1

Have fun,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMK View Post
    Wow!!! Respect!!! what great sharp and clear shots of such a tiny object! I know from experience you can hardly (not) see them with your own eyes :-) So only the spot is a great achievement.

Thanks, Jerry.

Here is a ladybug as I have never seen before. Always wondered about their eyes. Sure enough they do have compound eyes like many other bugs. I needed right lighting and the magnification to visualize it (20/1.7 reversed, f/10, ~4X).

Post Thanks / Like

What a fabulous shot Vivek. How on earth did you get a ladybug to stay still?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Ron.

Indeed there is more to making a photo than a lens, camera and lights.

Here is that same bug (~3X, same lens) under UV and it is the lint on it that is fluorescing.

Ron: It isn't my intention keep details out while it is also not my intention to be posting all nits either.
    This is, after all, an offshoot of a workshop team. Let me just say, if something interests, that is great and I am flattered (and thankful).
    Last edited by Vivek; 13th December 2009 at 05:09.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMK View Post
    By seeing the black peppers I was curious what my setup(s) would do. So I did a shooting with 1 black peppercorn as my model :-). These are the results (all pictures uncropped):

G1 Kiron 105mm f2.8 full extend

G1 Kiron 105mm f2.8 full extend + Canon 250D + Canon 500D

G1 FD Bellows full extend Canon 50mm f1.4

O yes, because my model did not had that much time :-) all these were shot handheld, I was just curious about the magnification level.

Also tryed the peppergranule with the G1 FD Bellows full extend and a macro coupler with a reversed Canon 35/2 No crops!
    The DOF was razor thin so most of it is out of focus.

This is a cane sugar granule of 1.7 mm

and the letter E on a 1 euro coin.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Michiel, picked up the challege I forgot about :-) Well done, and yes the razor thin DOF is the hardest challenge and I do not like stacking (yet).

Yesterday receive my Canon Macro Photo Lens 35mm f2.8. Some day soon I will use this on my Bellows (and with tubes) and post some results.

Post Thanks / Like

Pecan nut

Liquorice allsort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evers View Post
    Pecan nut

Liquorice allsort

Excellent Macro work.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Uwe.

I am partial to the nut shot, it almost looks like a flesh & blood thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evers View Post
    I am partial to the nut shot, it almost looks like a flesh & blood thing.
    Great shots! I especially like the pecan one too.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

klythawk

My 1st macro attempt. Ball bearing race 4mm dia/1mm bore. Apologies for all the dirt inside, it looked so clean using normal eye site. GF1/14-45 reversed

The size of the bearing race can be seen dotting the i on my Lumix TZ7 case.

Thanks to all who helped me with posts and PM's

John.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btrancho View Post

Acorn - G1 + Olympus 35/3.5 macro, f/8, 4 sec, ISO 100
    Love this one. Great colors and tone.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got my 52mm reverse adapter, so I took some quick macro shots with my 20mm/1.7 reversed (f/10, ISO100, 1/160 shutter speed, 4:3) off my GH1. Tripod mounted + macro focusing rail. Lighting provided by desk lamp + off-camera Vivitar 285 at 1/16 power bounced off white envelope I had on my desk. Rubix cube provided raised platform for the 'specimens' =). Here's what came out:

Lens cap:

Pencil shavings:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The reversed 20/1.7 is not only super sharp but one also devoid of color fringes.

Such a performance, I have only seen in very expensive (and rare) dedicated macro lenses such as the Macro Nikkors (35mm, 65mm and 120mm).

Simply fabulous!

John, You ball bearing is nice (could benefit from better lighting but that is an extremely special and difficult task), a small amount of CA is there. Not too much of a bother compared to many others.

Post Thanks / Like

Aeh - Wow! Glad I ordered that reverse adapter, these 20/1.7 pics look great. I also just picked up a pair of older Macrotars/Elpros (Ithink VIa&b) that should fit the pancake lens but didn't have a chance to try them out, yet. Now all I need it more time to take pictures, much easier ordering stuff when I work on the PC anyway than finding the quite moment to go out there and play

Stefan

klythawk

The reversed 20/1.7 is not only super sharp but one also devoid of color fringes.

Such a performance, I have only seen in very expensive (and rare) dedicated macro lenses such as the Macro Nikkors (35mm, 65mm and 120mm).

Simply fabulous!

John, You ball bearing is nice (could benefit from better lighting but that is an extremely special and difficult task), a small amount of CA is there. Not too much of a bother compared to many others.
    Thanks Vivek, you're spot on with the lighting, only had a simple desk light to use.
    Appreciate all the help you have given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the full-size photo I can actually see some color fringes for the pencil lead granules at the edge of the photos. Here's a detail of that:

Not sure if that's a result of something I did wrong, or the setup I'm using. Still, I'm very happy with the lens. Next time I'll try a lower aperture setting (f/5.6 maybe) and see if I can help the sensor better resolve the details. I realize I'll need to employ stacking to take care of the shallow dof.

Vivek - how do you calculate the approximate magnification you get with the reversed lens. Based on measuring the 'L' in the lens cap photo, and comparing it to the size of the sensor, I'm getting a 1:1 magnification (the size of the 'L' takes up about 5mm on the sensor, and it's about 4.8mm in reality).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PS42 (do you have another name we can use?),

Take a shot of a ruler (mm divisions) making sure the ruler is aligned perfectly parallel to the sensor plane.
    Only the clearly focused area would count for magnification calculations!

I would keep the lens (front and rear) squeaky clean. This is very important.
    A hood (rear lens cap with a hole) also helps.
    Last edited by Vivek; 23rd January 2010 at 12:54.

klythawk

Hi.

Found the bug dead on my work bench, not sure why it's covered in dirt, although i work in a engineering factory on a grinding machine, perhaps it's a mix of grinding dust and mist from coolant spray. It is approx 8mm long.

GF1/14-45 reversed.

John
    Last edited by klythawk; 23rd January 2010 at 14:18. Reason: Added length of bug.

Post Thanks / Like

These are incredible images. I have no experience in macro photography but would be very interested in taking some tentative steps in that direction (in other words not having to invest too much at the beginning). Could you give details of the reverse adapter that some of you have mentioned? From a brief search on the web it seems there are several for Nikon mount, so presumably you are using them with a Nikon/m43 adapter?

I am also unsure of the size. The thread of the 20mm/1.7 is 46mm, not 52mm (which is the filter diameter of the 14-45) so is it necessary to use a 46/52 mm adapter?

I'd be grateful for any hints as to how to get going.

Martin

klythawk

Quote Originally Posted by mreddington View Post
    These are incredible images. I have no experience in macro photography but would be very interested in taking some tentative steps in that direction (in other words not having to invest too much at the beginning). Could you give details of the reverse adapter that some of you have mentioned? From a brief search on the web it seems there are several for Nikon mount, so presumably you are using them with a Nikon/m43 adapter?

I am also unsure of the size. The thread of the 20mm/1.7 is 46mm, not 52mm (which is the filter diameter of the 14-45) so is it necessary to use a 46/52 mm adapter?

I'd be grateful for any hints as to how to get going.

Martin
    Hi Martin.

I'm a novice at this as well but i'll help best i can. The reversing adapter you need is this one
    and also a step up ring from 46mm-52mm, like this

Fit the step up ring to the front of the 20mm, fit the reversing adapter to the step up ring and then reverse the lens. Also have a look at post #43 in this. thread. One final thing, you will need to set SHOOT W/O LENS to ON in the G1/GF1 Custom Menu, page 5.

They work fine for me. Good luck, enjoy macro on the cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

wow! some really nice photos here, I love how they're really creative and different to most other aspects of photography.

My favourites so far are Ron's Steel Dust Caught by a Magnet and Viveks UV insect photo =)

klythawk

Hi.

Had a go with the 45-200 reversed.

Sorry, unknown Orchid.

G1/45-200. f20, iso100

John.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klythawk View Post
    They work fine for me. Good luck, enjoy macro on the cheap.
    Thanks, John. I have ordered them and look forward to some new toys (cheap ones for a change!).

Cheers
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help--I also ordered the reverse adapter and step-up ring. I'll post some pictures when it arrives!

I also picked up an adapter for my old M42 Pentax lenses, which came with a macro extender.

Pentax 28mm at f3.5:

Pentax 55mm at f1.8:

Post Thanks / Like

This thread needs more peppercorn:

Post Thanks / Like

I got the reverse adapter this weekend. Tried out the 20mm on it--the results are great! Amazing magnification, but having to flip the lens to adjust aperture is annoying. Definitely worth it for $10 though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    ... having to flip the lens to adjust aperture is annoying.
    You only have to do that once before you reverse your lens. Figure out what aperture you want to use based on a specific dof you're looking to work with, set that aperture, and leave it. More than likely you'll need additional light for these magnifications anyway, so working with small apertures shouldn't present an issue from that perspective.

I used mine at f/10 for the few shots I've taken, and the dof was good enough to capture the size of subject I was looking to get. Theoretically it seems the best aperture to use for the GH1 sensor is f/5.6, but for macro work that may be too shallow of a dof - you can get around that by stacking your images.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty much what I did--set it to f6.3 (I think) and just went out and took some shots. I probably could have dialed it down further to get a wider DOF. The shot above is from 2 captures.

klythawk

Paper clips.

G1/45-200 reversed. Not cropped.

John
    Last edited by klythawk; 1st February 2010 at 13:34. Reason: Added crop info.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who's interested, here are some sample magnification factors with different lens combinations. Haven't put on the 14-140 reversed yet, but I will soon. The observed magnifications match perfectly with what I expected to get from the 90mm lens, so I'm fairly confident they're correct.

Lens combination
    Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 ===> 0.5
    Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + Leitz Macrotar VIIa ===> 0.7
    Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + 2x Extender ===> 1.0
    Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + 2x Extender + Leitz Macrotar VIIa ===> 1.2
    Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + Panasonic 20mm/1.7 reversed ===> 4.3
    Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + 2x Extender + Panasonic 20mm/1.7 reversed ===> 5.2
    Panasonic 20mm/1.7 reversed ===> 1.5
    Panasonic 14-45mm reversed @ 14mm ===> 2.4
    Panasonic 14-45mm reversed @ 45mm ===> 1.3

Enjoy.
    Last edited by photoSmart42; 1st February 2010 at 16:57.

neekoh

Hi, new here. Wow, this thread is amazing. And intensely informative. Linked from another thread, I couldn't resist posting. I mean, what the heck is it with peppers. Coincidentally my most recent macro test shots also feature a pepper (albeit a sad brown one, not black):

(poor man's macro set)

klythawk

Hi

Shot of a 1931 UK half penny.

Oly E-P1/Pana 20mm reversed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spring brings out flowers and insects (both with a Leitz Milar 50/4.5 on G1, both >1X)

Crocus, upclose.

A Spider.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spring brings out flowers and insects (both with a Leitz Milar 50/4.5 on G1, both >1X)

Crocus, upclose.
    Hi Vivek - these are splendid - both interesting and beautiful

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for your kind words, Jono!

The spider shot was hand held.

It is the Dutch (spring) light.