The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro setup questions

photoSmart42

So I'm ready to get serious about taking macro shots with my G1. I have a great lens in the Tokina 90mm/2.5, and I have what I think is a nice tripod, but I know I'm missing some other gear. Here's what I think I need.

1. Remote shutter release
2. Focusing rail
3. Flash or some other light source
4. Tripod collar (maybe)
5. Flash controller (maybe)

I don't need to go all out super expensive, but I'm ready to spend some cash where it makes most sense. I think I can get away with a simple 2-axis focusing rail for the moment, but I don't know if I need a new head for my tripod to use it. My biggest unknown has to do with the lighting source that I can use with this camera. I'm thinking I'll want a flash unit that doesn't have to sit on the camera but has a chord, but that I can either mount (preferred) on some sort of adapter/collar or hold (by hand) so I can illuminate the small area in front of the lens without worrying about the lens itself shadowing the subject.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pellicle

Hi

1. Remote shutter release
2. Focusing rail
3. Flash or some other light source
4. Tripod collar (maybe)
5. Flash controller (maybe)
1) got mine on eBay for about $10 ... works "like a bought one"
2) again, got mine on eBay for about $20 including postage ... works great

3) I bought an older Metz that is an Auto flash ... this has the sensor on the flash not on the camera ... it works great with digital as long as you match your aperture to its settings ... read a bit about mine here, works great on every camera I have.

5) Because my flash is self contained, I use a cheapie wireless from ebay to trigger my flash. I can locate it anywhere withing some meters ... something quite like this (but I did not check that seller)

The great thing about it is you can set up th flash and walk about with the camera (macro or not) and as long as you have the aperture value set between flash and camera(you may need to fiddle a little bit but each exposure will remain constant) you'll get consistent values.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

I'm also using a cheap focusing rail from E-bay, but a 2 dimensional one.

For lighting, I choose to work with incandescent bulbs rather than flash, because I find it terribly difficult to image the effect of lighting (and worse, shadow) with a standard flash.

I do not use a remote trigger, the one I bought on Ebay is very unreliable, and I did not come across a reliable one yet ! So, I use the inbuild timer (2sec or 10sec) to avoid any shaking from pushing the shutter button.

I wish you an excellent WE !

Rafael

photoSmart42

Thank you for the replies!

@ pellicle: I like that Metz flash unit, especially the swiveling flash for indirect lighting. When you say the flash unit is self-contained, does that mean you have to trigger it separately from the camera shutter, or does it still connect to the camera hot shoe via a cable so the camera triggers the flash? Does self-contained just mean it has its own battery and settings?

If I were to look at other flash units, what specs would they have to meet in order to work with the G1? Are all the flashes compatible with all cameras, or is there some variance I should look for and avoid?