Site Sponsors

Thread: Camera I've most enjoyed using

Post Thanks / Like

Camera I've most enjoyed using

The Olympus E-1 was great, the most solid camera I ever used. The E-330 was really versatile with its articulated LCD and primordial live view. The E-410 was pocketable in a winter coat. The Pentax K10D was very well-specked for its cost and weatherproof. The K20D was even better and its resolution exceeded my D300. The Nikon D40 was a great compact, producing very nice images that stood up well to manipulation. The D300 is another tank, never fails to work, the best AF and image quality of any camera I've used yet. The Panasonic G1 is one of the most fun to use, mounting just about every lens you can imagine and with it's firmware upgrade, almost as good at focusing in dim light as the D300. However, the camera I can say I enjoyed using the most was my Olympus E-510. Produced very good images, had a terrific image stabilization function and when mounted with my adapted Contax 180mm f2.8 gave me some of the nicest looking shots I've taken. On top of that, its size was just about perfect for all day shooting, not heavy, but not small, so you never hit a button by mistake. I sold it some time ago, and stupidly passed up chance to buy a brand new E-520 at Christmas for $299 when Henrys Outlet store got a batch in. I should have kept the E-510.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Camera I've most enjoyed using

Never had an Olympus digital. Until the G1 came along, the camera(s) I most enjoyed using (of the many cameras over the years) would have to be the Olympus OM1/OM2.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like

yehh... I enjoyed my Graflex Speed Graphic with 4x5 polaroid back and a classic Italian Fedora...

Post Thanks / Like

You made me think a bit, about what digital camera I've most enjoyed. I've had a bunch (300D,20D,5D,XT,XTI,D90,D300,D700,E330,E420,EP1,GF 1,GH1) then there are the small sensor ones a half a dozen or so. I really haven't bonded with any yet. It's sad to think that all of them have had some sort of glaring compromise, be it size, image quality, ergonomics, or strap lug in the wrong place. I really miss simple sturdy bodies like the FM2, OM1, and M6. If it wasn't for the size and weight, I would say the D700 was it and if it wasn't for the strap lug and the flimsy aperture dial, I'd say the E420. If I could have a D700 in a E420 body, without the strap lug poking my hand and some positive clicking control dials, then that might just be it, but I sort of like having a fast focusing LV from the GH1 too and the movie mode is interesting me lately. I seem to make do with what ever I have, but it's obvious by the amount of different bodies I've had in the last ten years, that no one has made what I really want yet. Maybe I'll get an M9 one of these days, just so I can rule that out.
    Last edited by clay stewart; 17th May 2010 at 18:56.

duckrider

USING?
    The very most enjoyable cams were M-Leicas:
    M4-2 was the camera with the highest quality feeling, touching it was ervery time a pleasure, wide lenses too.

PLAYING WITH?
    Playing with my Nikon F2's is still a real treat: Changing all these different finders, winders & cute toys around the camera is fun. Sometimes I disassemble a F2 and rebuild it again.

TAKING PART IN OVERINDULGENCE?
    Playing, focussing and listening to shutter noise of my Rolleiflex SL66SE, the grande complication of German camera manufacture is great fun for me!

JUST TAKING DISDAINFUL PICS?
    ...today my G1 & GF1 are the cams I use....

have fun
    Thomas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I pulled out my Minox EC and loaded it for the first time in seven years.

Anything the size of a pack of chewing gum that can take as good pictures as it does is worth processing and scanning film for, now and then. ];-)

The Tate Modern - London 2002

I just scanned 50 rolls of Minox film over the weekend. It inspired me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Without a doubt, the tiny Panasonic G1.

Simply exceeded all of my expectations in terms of utility. It is beyond all the TLRs, SLRs, RF cams, etc.

I eagerly await the G3 with an improved sensor.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

from digital cameras the most enjoyable for me are the ones I use right now. D700 and M9. DLSR Cameras used before: D30, 1D, E1,d2h, d2x, d200, 5d (just for a short time),d300, d3, d3x,7d (just for a few weeks-didnt cut it for me), d700

The D700 is just right for me, right size, right speed, reliable AF and exp metering, and you can push the shaddows as much as you want. It is a camera that just works for nearly everything IMO.

The other one is the M9 (and the M8 IMO is quite close) for its IQ and for its simplicity.

I also enjoy MF, but lately I find it often too slow in handling for what I like to shoot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a Nikkormat for a very long time till the Olympus E-300 together with a Voigtländer R4A (I liked the design) and then the E-3.
    After that the G1 which brings me the most pleasure of them all with its endless MF lens possibilitys and easy handling.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like Michiel, I started out with a Nikkormat then bought another one (one for colour slides the other for black and white negative). Then I switched to Canon, lured by the A1then on to a couple of T90's - along came EOS etc. then over to digital, bla, bla, bla and here we are singing the praises of the G1; I agree with Vivek entirely. Let's see what Panasonic can come up with next. I still drive a Nikon D700 and the Pentax K20D (both mentioned here) but as the OP wanted to know about the most enjoyable: you can't beat the G1; the live viewfinder does it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Same experience here. Nikon F, F2A, 8008s, FM2n (all time favorite), D70, D200 and then the G1. The only one that compares to the level of fun I have had with the G1 was the FM2n; give me one of those with a digital back, yum. Right size, right weight, but the G1 of all things has come closest to that experience. I shoot more manual on the G1 than on either the D70 or D200...

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I love my GH1 - it's versatile, allows me to experiment with a bunch of different lenses, and it's a joy to use. Although I have to say there's nothing quite like the rugged feel of my chromed Canon FTb or my F-1 that I can pretty much take anywhere without fear of dropping or damaging them. There's just something about holding a piece of solid metal that's really, really cool. Oh, and shooting film is pretty cool as well.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to go back a few decades....
    My 1st 35mm was a Voigtlander Prominent (V1) with a 50mm f/1.5 Nokton... ($50.00)
    My next camera I enjoyed was a Canon F1 (V1) with a 50mm f/1.4. had this for a few years and then I moved on.
    Olympus OM1, 2s, 4 were my next cameras I used a lot.
    Than I tried others... Canon EOS 630, Nikon FM/FE, and even a Rollie 35..
    I did enjoy a Robot Royal 36 for a year or two and a Leica M5 with a 35 Cron (Watzlar)...I always said I'd get an M5 again... I did with a quiver of lenses. It just took 35 years

On More modern cameras....
    Canon Rebel 400 (after trying a Canon D60)
    Olympus E-520 was a a great camera too..to down size...
    Now a Pentax K20d and Leica M5 are two cameras. Both are great to use, and both deliver great results.....

In my Dreams.......
    Pany G2 to replace K20d down the road. (or Sony NX ?? If they will make M adapter).
    Leica M9 (I Hope I can keep the M5 along with M9...and not sell it to help pay for the M9)

Post Thanks / Like

Like Godfrey I go back to the Minox.

I'm 70 now. I was lucky enough to have one at school. Smaller but heavier than the present ones. Smuggled out of eastern Europe I think.

No metering. But one soon learnt to guess the exposure just as one learnt how to expose a darkroom enlargement. And focus. Well who cared with that depth. Even at its fixed fully wide aperture (was it one point something?).

It was in my pocket. With my penknife. My conker. My compass. The dirty hanky I'd used to clean my bike with. All essential kit for a growing lad.

My best pictures are those I took secretly in class.

Over the subsequent years - Cameras, you name them and I had them. But they got bigger and bigger and more and more complicated.

Now I have Canons 1Ds, 5d and 350d. But most of the time they stay on the shelf because the G1, especially with the pancake, is so portable and so user friendly.

Two favourite cameras. The Minox and the G1.

Tony

duckrider

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    Like Godfrey I go back to the Minox.

It was in my pocket. With my penknife. My conker. My compass. The dirty hanky I'd used to clean my bike with. All essential kit for a growing lad.

My best pictures are those I took secretly in class.
    Tony
    aaaah You guys, i'ts quite real fun & enjoyment to read here and to remember past times!
    Most of Your posts I do absolutely agree, go on!

@Tony: Classic Riga Minox was build from 1938 - 1948 in Riga / Lettland, it was build of brass, newer generation where made from aluminium.

Want a brass one again?
    take a look:
    http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=80&L=02

best regards
    Thomas

kind regards
    Thomas

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikkormat FTn
    Nikon F Photomic Tn
    Leica M2
    Nikon F2 Photomic
    Nikkormat EL2
    Mamiya RB67
    Linhof Super-Technica IV
    Canon AE-1
    Canon F1
    Fujica GW690
    Hasselblad 500 C/M
    Fuji GS645W
    Ricoh GR D
    Panasonic FZ-50
    Nikon D300
    Nikon D700
    Panasonic G1

Favorite three: Leica M2, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Panasonic G1

Favorite: Panasonic G1 (like Vivek):

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Without a doubt, the tiny Panasonic G1.

Simply exceeded all of my expectations in terms of utility. It is beyond all the TLRs, SLRs, RF cams, etc.

I eagerly await the G3 with an improved sensor.
    I eagerly await a full-frame successor to the Pansonic G1.

Hopefully Panasonic, with some prodding from Leica, has already decided that m4/3 is a format, not a religion, and will announce a full-frame EVIL system at Photokina. Perhaps it won't need to be much larger than the Panasonic LC1.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Thomas,

My Minox was one of the brass ones. Really solid. I even started to process my own films and there was a rather neat tank system that I seem to remember was daylight loading.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus XA. Tiny, perfectly formed and capable of producing lovely, sharp A3 sized prints if required. Travelled with me around the world until I fell out of love with film.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBurnett View Post
    Never had an Olympus digital. Until the G1 came along, the camera(s) I most enjoyed using (of the many cameras over the years) would have to be the Olympus OM1/OM2.
    Yes, I used an OM-1n for 14 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My history:

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, Kodak Instamatic 100, Yashica Electro G, Canon FTb, Olympus OM-1, Nikon EM, Nikon FA, Nikon N2000, Nikon N2020, Contax 139, Leica Rs4P, Exacta 66 (WAY COOL roll film camera), Mamiya 6, Leica M6, Leica Digilux 2, Contax digital, Lumix LX1 and now the Lumix G1.

By far the most enjoyable cameras were the Yashica Electro G, Leica M6, Contax 139 and now the G1 (whose EVF is waaaay better than the EVF in the Digilux 2 along with it's incredibly useful articulating LCD and compact size).
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others I've left a long trail of cameras behind me.

I think the one I most enjoyed was the Canon 10D.

It was my first digital DSLR and such a paradigm shift from film.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

Ken Tanaka

Like Steve, above, I also enjoyed the 10D (which I still own). It was also my first dslr. It seems downright quaint today, doesn't it?

Today, amidst all of the cameras I have at my disposal (including a P65+ with Mamiya bodies) the camera I'm most enjoying is my Olympus Pen E-P2. The E-P1 was ok but it was missing some touches, most notably the E-P2's excellent electronic viewfinder. Not only does this EVF enable easier viewing in bright conditions but it's hinged design also enables me to shoot quickly from a near-waist-level position (rather like my Rolleiflex). The image quality I'm getting from it is not too far behind my M9, too. And the Panasonic mft 20mm and 7-14mm lenses are fuggettaboutit good.

So the Oly E-P2 gets my vote today as a camera that's great fun to use.

But frankly I think a thread on the most miserable and/or disappointing cameras might be more useful.

Post Thanks / Like

There aren't many truly bad cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
    Like Steve, above, I also enjoyed the 10D (which I still own). It was also my first dslr. It seems downright quaint today, doesn't it?

Today, amidst all of the cameras I have at my disposal (including a P65+ with Mamiya bodies) the camera I'm most enjoying is my Olympus Pen E-P2. The E-P1 was ok but it was missing some touches, most notably the E-P2's excellent electronic viewfinder. Not only does this EVF enable easier viewing in bright conditions but it's hinged design also enables me to shoot quickly from a near-waist-level position (rather like my Rolleiflex). The image quality I'm getting from it is not too far behind my M9, too. And the Panasonic mft 20mm and 7-14mm lenses are fuggettaboutit good.

So the Oly E-P2 gets my vote today as a camera that's great fun to use.

But frankly I think a thread on the most miserable and/or disappointing cameras might be more useful.
    Except that really, there are few of them. I got a Polaroid video camera for nothing (cheap, VGA quality) that really was a piece of junk (couldn't take a good still shot to save its life) and showed the mark of a company that now only markets cheap trash from China as "business giveaways." I once got a digital camera for free offered by Sprint if you signed up for internet, it was terrible as well. But for the most part, most cameras will produce decent images. Of all the real cameras I've owned, probably the one that fell the most short on a specific task was the Pentax K20D when it came to low-light focusing on any moving object. Even with fast f2.8 lenses it was a real pain. Other than that, it worked well.

Ken Tanaka

Re: There aren't many truly bad cameras

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Except that really, there are few of them. ...
    And that's why such a thread might be useful!

For me the Sigma DP2 stands out as my most disappointing experience with a digital camera. More power to the devotees who claim affinity for these things. But, potential for good images aside, I sure found the thing to be an exercise in "Why bother?". Mercifully, I cut the experience short and returned it quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

My first camera was an Instamatic. It was lovely for a boy, and a POS. Then I upgraded to an Agfa Silette, a couple of other cameras and then I bought my SLR camera; a Miranda Sensorex EE. It came with great features and a lousy build quality and spent more time at the camera shop than with me.
    My next SLR camera was an Canon EF. I really liked it and also if I preferred the spot metering system of the F-1 and F-1(n) the EF is still with me, and even see some use when I think it needs some exercise together with the FD 24/2 or the 50/1.4.

Much later (in time and including some Leica M models and more stuff) it was time for digital. After a period with the Minolta A-2 I bought the Pentax DS as it was the first small DSLR, and also the first DSLR I felt I could afford. It was fun but suffers (I still have it) from unreliable metering. There is 30 years between the Miranda and the Pentax:

After the Pentax DS I have used a 5D, a 5DMkII and then the G1 in-between and now it is G1 only.

Like Jonathon I'm very interested in any coming FF LIVE camera. For now I see no reason to up- or side-grade.

So, the Canon EF it is.

Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I still enjoy shooting 4x5 film the most, even though I don't do it very often. I like the slow contemplative approach and especially like looking at the resuts later on a nice negative or tranny with rich detail. I only wish that Polaroid type 55 was still available. An affordable digital back is also a nice dream. In the meantime I use the 4x5 occasionally with either the G1 or my 5DII and my Rodenstock LF lenses for stitching or even macro work. Sample from last year:

Siberian Blue with G1 on 4x5 with Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 135mm/5.6
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kodak Retinette, Edixa LTL, Nikon F, Nikormat EL, Nikon FM, Nikon FE, Pentax MX and ME Super, Mamya press, Rollei Twin lenses 3.5 tessar, Leica M3, M6, leica RE and R6, Arca Discovery, Linhof, hasselblad 500CM, then 501CM.

All these are film cameras, I have only one digital a small P&S Pana TZ3.
    Up to now I didn't fancy any digital but plan to dive in, I thought of the GH1 or the latest Canon 550d.
    I had a peep through the viewfinder of a Canon 500.... hum.... I saw nuts !
    APS size sensor would fit me but the VF is crap ! FF sensor are expensive and so hudge !

I want an equivalent Nikon FM or Leica R6, fully manual, small size, large and bright VF, no bull**** modes, in body IS, high IQ APS sensor, GH1 flip screen but with high res, full metal lenses with all the rings we had before because it's so much faster and easier.
    It is not in the market yet, so I am with my Leica M6 & 3 & Hassy 501, I love them 3.
    My R lenses are waiting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm my camera trail... Instamatic vintage 1971, Pentax ME Super, Pentax LX, dad's old Kodak Retina IIA (still have it), Minox ML, Nikon N90s, Ricoh GR1, Nikon F5, Ricoh RDC-1, Canon Powershot A5, Toyo 45AII, Nikon N60, Canon Powershot S10, Hasselblad XPan, Fuji GSW690, Ebony SW23, Canon Powershot S45, Wisner 8x10" Pocket Expedition, Gandolfi Variant 8x10", Ebony 45S, Sony DSC-W1, Toyo 810G, Toyo 810G (extra one for backup), Toyo 45G (for parts), Nikon D2X, Nikon D300, Canon Powershot G9, Nikon D700, Canon Powershot G11, Nokia N900 (my first phone to have a usable camera).

...what whas the question again? Oh right, most enjoyed. Hmm... I used the LX for many years but enjoyment was limited... The Ebony SW23 rates very high, as does the Nikon F5 and Nikon D700.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Pascal

My most fun and memorable camera ever: Toss up between Contax T or Contax G2+21mm f2.8
    Most used: Nikon F3 HP
    Most trusted now: Nikon D700
    *Current* most fun camera: Sigma DP1 and DP2s