The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay so the Leica T is in the news...

Godfrey

... My preference for 3:2 comes maybe from my decades long background shooting film cameras (yes I am that old - had my first DSLR a Minolta SRT101 back in 1967 if I remember right). The other format preference is square, which comes from my time with Hasselblad V system
I think I've got you beat by a year or two. First "real" (35mm) camera was my mom's Argus C3 in 1966, second real camera was a 1949 Rolleiflex Automat which my grandfather loaned me in '67 or '68. I re-acquired a Hasselblad system last year, and am delighted I did so.
;-)

... Coming back to the GH4 - I need to handle one, but from what I can tell reading reviews this camera indeed comes close to the old Leica R camera ecosystem - even a bit smaller. And offering such advanced video capabilities (4k) is for sure a big plus.
Times are really exciting!
It's funny. I have actually been feeling a bit jaded going into the camera shop lately. I mean, the equipment I have is so darn good there's little point to changing it, and all the reason to just using it.

G

scott kirkpatrick

But responding to Godfrey's and ptomsu's reminiscences... I used a Miranda T, picked up in Japan in 1955 or 1956, for pictures in our high school yearbook (1959), and also had access to my Dad's Voigtlander folding 35mm camera, probably a Vitessa, the one with barn doors. The Argus C3 was very much in evidence then, but I don't recall ever using one. About 8 years later I got interested in photography again, and moved up to Nikon F, FTN and a Leica M2, which is still doing just fine. (The Fs are long gone.)

Thinking about what the T could do for me, I went out and ordered a Ricoh GR, for which I already have an excellent low-profile optical viewfinder from the GR-D series. I expect to use it traveling this summer.

scott