The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4:3 or 3:2 on G1?

N

nei1

The problem,as I see it,is that to get 3x2 from 4x3 you have to lose about a million pixels whereas from a cmos sensor you have to lose about a million pixels to get 4x3.I like 3x2 so my camera is yet to arrive.

mazor

I think use what you want for depending on the scenario. Its all about framing and what you are used to. the extra 1MP from using 4:3 is small, especially if it affects your composition.

MAzor

the only time this has meant a lot to me was shooting weddings for a group that only delivered 8X12 prints. Having to shoot loose and crop from a 4X3 took time, and I wished those cameras had a setting for 3X2. The Nikon D3 has this, I'm sure for just this reason. best...Peter

mazor

Some may beg to differ, 4:3 for some is closer to 1:1 square framing, but again, that would require further cropping to get 1:1 but for someone used to framing with square medium format, this may be preferable.

Mazor

L

Lupo

One can argue about the Landscape and different opinion...

However, in the portrait looks 2:3 or 9:16 pretty stupid :rolleyes: ;)

scho

I'd like a square option. btw, I assume that the EVF shows the image in the ratio selected? best......Peter
Another vote here for 1:1 format option. I really want to see something like a G1 with a true square format hi res sensor.

Brian Mosley

I'd like a square sensor too - no need to spin the camera to take portraits :)

4:3 is reasonably close though... I like the format. Shooting RAW means that you get the whole sensor and can crop if necessary.

Kind Regards

Brian