Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Olympus' m4/3rds system

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus' m4/3rds system

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Anyone heard any news on when Olympus are planning to launch their own m4/3rds body?
    Any day now, at least according the rumormongers at the British Journal of Photography.

But since it appears neither of its two models will have EVF, I declare it DOA.

Most likely at PMA.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
    Sweet

Just picked up a Pen F and a collection of lenses on eBay, looking forward to playing...
    Have you gotten a shoe for a carrying case?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

wblynch

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post

But since it appears neither of its two models will have EVF, I declare it DOA.
    Perhaps Olympus will sell twice as many lenses as m4/3 cameras?

G! owners seem mighty thirsty for lens choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The point of the m4/3 for me is not the OEM's lenses but rather all the great legacy lenses out there. To use them, one must have EVF and I would prefer a body that doesn't look like a Faux-dSLR. Olympus seems to have forgotten it's great PEN had view finder which let you see that the lens saw and to focus that lens.

"No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool."
    Dean Forbes

Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For me too. Except for any wide primes they might release. I'd prefer a 10mm prime over the 7-14 zoom.

But the jury is still out on what Olympus will do. They might surprise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Primes

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    For me too. Except for any wide primes they might release. I'd prefer a 10mm prime over the 7-14 zoom.
    I'll second that. A 10.5mm f2 which is as good as the original Zuiko 21mm f2 would be perfect. I really think that although the kit zooms are surprisingly good, this little camera and its sensor would be an ideal match to a good range of fast primes - which is really why we're all out hunting for them on Ebay while we wait for Panasonic to produce them!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice macro shots, Vivek.

I've been finishing up my extension tube adapter setup for Pen F lenses for the G1. I removed the black ring on the bayonet to which the lens attaches. This eliminates a tab, and enables the preview button on the lens to stop down to the preset aperture.

Focus wide open, press the preview button right before firing the shutter to stop down. This makes Pen F lenses much easier to work with than adapted M lenses, which of course have never needed a depth of field preview.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Robert.

The adapter I show does not have that black ring (well, I received one set of extension rings without that) and allows for the lens depth of preview button to be used for stopping down. I have another adapter that does have the ring. This is useful for using a macro lens when used with a cable release.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As with all other pen F lenses, the 38/3.5 Macro also makes an excellent fit for the m4/3rds mount.

G1, pen F 38/3.5, f/3.5, mirror reflection

Bokeh from this lens on digital (as opposed to film) is creamy smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    The point of the m4/3 for me is not the OEM's lenses but rather all the great legacy lenses out there. To use them, one must have EVF and I would prefer a body that doesn't look like a Faux-dSLR. Olympus seems to have forgotten it's great PEN had view finder which let you see that the lens saw and to focus that lens.

"No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool."
    Dean Forbes
    I thought that way, when I first got the GX100, so I got the external finder, which pretty much sucked for me. Then I got to liking the LCD for framing and later got the GRD2.

I think for things like street shooting, looking like a tourist tends to put people at ease. I came to really like framing on the LCD, as a much more casual and discreet way of shooting. I guess for me it all depends on how easy the LCD is to see in the daylight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a GR-DII and only use the LCD for Macros. I find the CV 28/35 minifinder perfect for my style. Different views.

But you are using both cameras with autofocus, are you not? I can not see trying to focus a manual focus lens while holding a camera out in front of you and just using the LCD.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Actually with the GRD2, I used MF quite often, since the camera worked faster and the DOF of the small sensor gave a pretty broad range of DOF at F4. I can see how using longer MF lenses would be difficult without the VF though. I guess I'm hoping Oly releases a few AF primes, because I do like using the LCD for framing street photography. Hopefully Olympus will have two versions, so everyone is happy.

doubledan

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    Actually with the GRD2, I used MF quite often, since the camera worked faster and the DOF of the small sensor gave a pretty broad range of DOF at F4. I can see how using longer MF lenses would be difficult without the VF though. I guess I'm hoping Oly releases a few AF primes, because I do like using the LCD for framing street photography. Hopefully Olympus will have two versions, so everyone is happy.
    With the G1, I'm finding that the longer MF lenses are actually easier to focus on the LCD than the wider ones -- and that the wider ones, say at 5.6, usually work well enough with set-it-and-forget-it zone focusing. The trick with the G1's LCD, at least for me, is not to hold the camera at arms length but rather tilt the screen and press the camera against the abdomen, as some of us did with Rollei and Yashica TLRs; and to use magnification. You can get pretty fast at this, with practice, but one neat thing is that for many kinds of shooting, you don't need to be fast: it's so discreet that people are not put on guard by what you're doing, so you can develop a nice flow and take your sweet time.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    First, thanks to Vivek for providing this excellent Pen F extension tube adapter idea. Using that as a basis, I came across a micro 4/3 flange designed for astrophotography by a company called Hutech:

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/...arts/index.htm

The flange has a 49.8mm screw thread. The Pen F extension tubes have a 50mm screw thread. They don't mate exactly, but it's close enough.

Referring to the photo above, take part D, and the Hutech flange, screw them together, presto, instant Pen F to G1 adapter! No grinding required, and no shimming!

I tightened both parts together as close as they would mate (it's a very tight, secure fit) and it focuses a bit past infinity. Unscrewing a partial turn will dial in infinity, so it matches infinity on the lens. I suppose some sort of set screw or Loctite could be used to secure the two pieces exactly at infinity, but I think I'll just tighten them to the max, and live with it until a commercial adapter is available.

A commercial adapter will also allow the aperture and distance scale to be right side up on the lens.

One other thing: if you look at the photo, there is a black ring on part D. If this ring is removed, it allows the lens to stop down to preset aperture by pressing the preview button on the lens. Focus wide open, press preview to meter stopped down & before taking the photo. Quick and easy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A commercial adapter will also allow the aperture and distance scale to be right side up on the lens.
    This is why all the grinding by trial and error took place.

You could place a thin spacer inside the Hutech m4/3rds mount to get the right infinity focus distance and the correct orientation. A bit of work but is well worth it.

I would secure the two rings with the right kind of (metal) epoxy once everything is in place.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I may indeed do that, Vivek.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the back side of the extension tube part D with the back ring removed.

40/1.4 on the camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A quick grab shot using the G-Zuiko 40/1.4 @ f/2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

100% crop

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

G. Zuiko 60/1.5 @ 1.5

100% crop

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, You need to take that lens outside to give it a spin.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I will be shooting at sunrise.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a sample shot taken with the 40/1.4 (this is tinkered to get more light through but essentially the same lens) wide open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one is using the plain 40/1.4.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, a 1.2 mod on a 1.4?

For anyone interested in trying out Pen F lenses here is an extension ring set ending in about 5 hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120369486770

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

G. Zuiko 20/3.5 @ f/3.5, click for full size.

100% (that's me in the eyeball). Very impressed with the Pen F lenses!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

G. Zuiko 60/1.5 from jpeg:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

E. Zuiko 100/3.5 @ 3.5, click for full size

wblynch

Monza, very nice.

What do you use for scanning your negatives?

Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, a 1.2 mod on a 1.4?
    Robert, It is "super charging" the f/1.4 to f/1.2. I won't give any details here as that is painted as promoting the value of existing gear by some(deleted) folks.
    In fact, I am done with any useful gear related contribution here.

Pay-per-view from now on!

Please let's cut out the insulating comments, I don't feel like chasing around editing these posts as i just did. Guy

The rules are clearly defined
    3) Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.

wblynch

As Robert kindly reminded me in PM his posted photos were taken on the G1.

I'm here to admit my dumbness and apologize to the forum.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice sharp images monza - especially the 60mm f1.5

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, sometimes I head to the forum, click on 'new posts', and that takes me to the most recent posts so it's easy to lose context sometimes. We've all done it.

Brian, thanks. These web versions only show a small glimpse of how good these really are...plus I could stand to learn a thing or two about prepping an image for posting.