Site Sponsors

Thread: small lens cases/protection?

Post Thanks / Like

small lens cases/protection?

Hi,

I just got a Domke F-2 camera bag and really like it, it should fit the G1 with quite a few of my lenses because many of them are small c-mounts. Now, with the tiny c-mount lenses I could easily get 2 lenses in one of these lens compartments, but I would want to somehow protect them since most don't have cases. I was thinking about 'micro' lens cases but didn't find anything online, thought about cutting some padded nylon (maybe one of the Domke wraps) into smaller wraps. I even thought about - don't laugh - warmers for boiled eggs... Just wanted to check if anybody here has a good solution for that?

Thanks,

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: small lens cases/protection?

The Domke F2 is still my all-time favorite bag (and I have a whole closet full.) Mine is Khaki color and I ran it through the washing machine to make it look a little more distressed. I have some small padded squares from a backpack that I place between two lenses in a compartment. I also put all of my lenses in little bags or pouches that I have gathered over the years (neoprene pouches are my favorite). Another good idea is to buy some extra lens caps. Sand the top of two until they make a nice fit. Glue them top to top. Then you can safely carry two lenses in a compartment without worry.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ditto on Cindy's advice. I did back to back lenses with my Leica lenses. This method also makes it easier to change lenses in the field and you
    don't feel like you need a third hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, thanks, I will do the back-to-back thing with a few of the larger ones like the Canon FDs. What puzzled me were the tiny ones, I could probably fit 2-3 small c-mount lenses in one compartment on top of each other if I wanted to make the best use of the space. I'll see what I find in neoprene for them, maybe there are small cell-phone pouches that will work or I just glue & velcro a few custom ones together myself. For some of the old ones it is difficult to find matching lens caps, so I would want some extra protection for those.

Stefan