Site Sponsors

Thread: processing suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

processing suggestions

While I'm waiting on the M9 to come my way I think I'll shoot film. Can someone recommend a lab where I can send out my rolls and all I want back are hi rez scans? Maybe send them a 16GB flash drive so all I have to do is down load, tweak, size and print?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: processing suggestions

You a such a lazy Feb. first ....
    at least you can Develop and send out for Scanning & Prints
    thats what I Do....

its sooo easy and takes about 5-10 mins to wind on spool
    developer /quick wash/ fixer / wash/ wetting agent / 21-23 mins
    hang Dry : one hour

I have heard VERY GOOD things about Dwaynes Photo
    Tel; 1 800 522 3940 or take a peek online at their services

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    You a such a lazy Feb. first ....
    at least you can Develop and send out for Scanning & Prints
    thats what I Do....

its sooo easy and takes about 5-10 mins to wind on spool
    developer /quick wash/ fixer / wash/ wetting agent / 21-23 mins
    hang Dry : one hour

I have heard VERY GOOD things about Dwaynes Photo
    Tel; 1 800 522 3940 or take a peek online at their services
    What are we water carriers?...too much work..:sleep006:
    Thanks...I admit, I've become a slave to digital. I'll give em a peek.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

I use Dwayne's. Their film service is great...fast and cheap. But their scans seemed average...I do much better with my own cheap V500. I didn't try a "higher tier" scan, if they offer one.

I hear West Coast Imaging's high-res service is worth it, but haven't tried them yet. $1 a frame seems cheap, but developing a 220 roll for $4.00 at Dwayne's vs. WCI for $30 or so scanned? It's over 6x the cost (or 4-5x including the cost of the film).

For that $20+, I can spend a couple hours throwing out the bad ones and scanning the other 50% that pass muster.

Of couse, upgrading to a V750 will cost me over $500, which would pay for a lot of rolls.

Still on the fence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gsking View Post
    I use Dwayne's. Their film service is great...fast and cheap. But their scans seemed average...I do much better with my own cheap V500. I didn't try a "higher tier" scan, if they offer one.

I hear West Coast Imaging's high-res service is worth it, but haven't tried them yet. $1 a frame seems cheap, but developing a 220 roll for $4.00 at Dwayne's vs. WCI for $30 or so scanned? It's over 6x the cost (or 4-5x including the cost of the film).

For that $20+, I can spend a couple hours throwing out the bad ones and scanning the other 50% that pass muster.

Of couse, upgrading to a V750 will cost me over $500, which would pay for a lot of rolls.

Still on the fence.
    Is V750 better than V700? Are there any great scanner that work with film medium format and even large format for less than $2000 or $1500-?

wblynch

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Is V750 better than V700? Are there any great scanner that work with film medium format and even large format for less than $2000 or $1500-?
    As I understand it, the V700 and the V750 are the exact same hardware but with different software packages. The V700 gets the "SE" version of Vuescan and the V750 includes the "AI" suite.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

-Bill L.

Post Thanks / Like

The V750 also comes with a wet mount. The V700 may be able to do it, with a third party holder?

I got the Monaco EZ Color software for free, part of the reason I wanted to get the V750 (over the V500). The software didn't work at all, but I think most of the problem is LR's color management. It sucks.

Perhaps once I get that fixed, the EZ Color will work...but then of course, I won't likely need it much, because my color accuracy may be sufficient.

Then, I probably won't find $500 of value to upgrade. The V500 is good enough for 2400dpi scans...more than enough for MF, and passable for 35mm. My biggest problem with it is Kodachrome, but I'm going to try a slide holder and digital camera first.