Site Sponsors

Thread: Kodachrome 64

Post Thanks / Like

Kodachrome 64

Hi Everyone!

I have a chance to buy 20 rolls of Kodachrome 64 for $20! I know finding someone who will develop E6 is a pain in the ***, but I feel like it would be worth it.

The film, obviously, is expired, the date being 1/81. Is has, however, been kept in a freezer since new.

Worth?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kodachrome 64

To produce color transparencies, Kodachrome 64 requires the K-14 process. The last Kodachrome lab, Dwayne's in Parsons, KS, stopped offering the service at the end of 2010.

It's possible to process it as B&W. Sometimes usable images can be obtained, depending on your definition of usable.

Post Thanks / Like

It may be worth $20 as a display in a collection or museum. It is probably something that will increase in monetary and nostalgic value over the years even if it will never be processed again.

Steve

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kodachrome can't be run through E-6. As noted, the last K line has been shut down and there is no way to process the film for color, simply because the dyes are added during processing (unlike E6 where they're part of the film and are bleached) and they're no longer available. Even if you could mcgyver something in the basement, finding the dyes and recreating the chemistry (some of which isn't good for your health) would be a challenge to say the least. I'd say pass on it.